Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Whats a good price for a 930 trans with LSD?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
356&914&912E
Case is corroded and input shaft/output flanges are rusty.
Reportedly from a 79 Turbo.

Thanks
Ron
Air_Cooled_Nut
Damn, I thought you were asking about "the" car, not the drive train sad.gif I love those cars! You say "Porsche" and that's the car I think of smile.gif
Brad Roberts
Right around $1800. The diff used is 1k-1.2k.

Short or long bellhousing and have you checked to see if it is truly a LSD box?

It will have a tag on the top of the bellhousing if the factory installed it. A simple white sticker with black type.. says "limited slip" in German.. something like "Spiff" or something..

B
Dr Evil
Hey Ron,
Post pics so folks can see the rusty input shaft.
LvSteveH
It think Brad is about right. Prices have been climbing a bit and a nice clean used box is going for around $2200, so $1800 seems about right if it has some cosmetic issues.
propricer
If a corroded, rusty box is worth $1,800 and a good, clean box is worth $ 2,200, does that mean that a 930 could be rebuilt for $ 400 ... what about synchros at $60 and labor at $150/Hr.

I always figured that rebuilding a 930 would run about $ 2,000.

Where can I get it done for $ 400 ???
LvSteveH
QUOTE(propricer @ Oct 30 2006, 04:18 PM) *

If a corroded, rusty box is worth $1,800 and a good, clean box is worth $ 2,200, does that mean that a 930 could be rebuilt for $ 400 ... what about synchros at $60 and labor at $150/Hr.

Please tell me where I implied that $2200 was a rebuilt box?? wacko.gif

I said "nice clean USED box", a rebuilt 930 is around $4500 +/-

If the trans in question only has cosmetic issues, per my post, then $1800 sounds about right to me. I only have about 20 porsche transaxles sitting around, so take it for what it's worth.

There's nothing wrong with a smart ass post once in a while, but it helps if you are right in the first place thumb3d.gif
Dr Evil
QUOTE(propricer @ Oct 30 2006, 08:18 PM) *

I'll rebuild it for less than $150/hr wink.gif idea.gif

Steve, you ahve a tranny hoard over there? If you like selling parts and cores I can get them from you when my customers request such things. Just a thought.
propricer
Guess I didn't appreciate the sensitivities - I apologize.
Brad Roberts
Every 930 box I have cracked into 1-2 a year since 96 or so has needed second gear synchro's. The owners must thought they had a Muncie 4 speed rock crusher or something? I didnt get it..

I found most of my 930's at Porsche shops who had done 915 conversions in the turbo cars back in the late 80's/early 90's.

They are pretty much bullet proof. The stock 76-77 short tranny has an issue with spider gears breaking in the open diffs.. but Porsche changed that for the long bellhousing 78-86 tranny's

B
Dr Evil
Here is a pic of the tranny in question. Supposedly a, "1979 Euro spec LSD 930 trans." How is this verified externally? I know of no way unless I can lay my hands upon it confused24.gif
Does this change any opinions?
billd
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Oct 30 2006, 08:32 PM) *

Here is a pic of the tranny in question. Supposedly a, "1979 Euro spec LSD 930 trans." How is this verified externally? I know of no way unless I can lay my hands upon it confused24.gif
Does this change any opinions?

The quick way to tell if it is an LSD is to turn the output shaft on one side and watch the shaft on the other side. If the other shaft turns the same way its LSD. If it turns the other way its not.

Are you planning to convert this to side shift? If so, how?
Dr Evil
Nope, will likely be cable (I just so happen to be working on designs for such an aparatus idea.gif ). I knew the whole output shaft bit, I just cant tell by looks wink.gif
billd
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Oct 30 2006, 09:21 PM) *

Nope, will likely be cable (I just so happen to be working on designs for such an aparatus idea.gif ). \

Is your cable linkage available? If so, what is it likely to run? I assume it will work on a 915 as well as a 930.
Dr Evil
Right now my design is largely on paper. I need a 915 to get measurements and mock up, oh, and free time from school so the lead time is not looking short. If I could get a free week nthe garage with a 915 I could get one done probably. So far I have a set up for a 901 side shifter that will be bitchen once I finish fabrication, and am awaiting a tail shift nose cone to mock up a tail shifter one. Its all top secret for now ph34r.gif

Target price is $500 or less, but that is in the air as I experiment with other shifters and see how easy they are to get and modify.
LvSteveH
That trans looks just fine, it's probably been out of a car for a long time, hence the surface rust... nothing a bead blaster can't knock off in a few minutes. It doesn't take much humidity to cause that. Fortunately most porsche transaxles have years of oil and grease to protect them.

I have a pretty good parts hoard, but I'm not very good at letting things go. I'll let you know if I make any progress with "Parts Whores Anonymous". Aaron had to go cold turkey with the club as part of his treatment plan.
356&914&912E
Dr. Evil

Thanks for posting the picture. From the feedback it sounds like he's asking too much.

Ron
Dr Evil
No worries, Ron. There are others out there, and for less it would appear.
Brad Roberts
How much was he asking?

Most of the Euro tranny's have an external cooler on them. Not sure if this is true for the 930 box, but the 915 Euro boxes have external coolers.

Mike,

I have two words for you in your quest for cable..(counter weights)

This is how Porsche gets the *feel* correct for their cable shifted cars. They use counterwieghts on the end of the levers.

B
JPB
My word is .005 tolerance and no slop. I have one myself in the making biggrin.gif
Dr Evil
My design is revolutionary (I aint seen one like it) and would probably not have a place for counter weights....Ive said too much.

I am gonna make a special one that is like a joystick. It will sit right near the steering wheel and will require very little movements to accomplish shifting.

The marketed one is a ways off as this damn med school thing if F-ing up my free time rolleyes.gif

I cant wait to finish up the Beta for the side shifter (1/2 completed) and to get the tail shifter ass to mock up the one for that. I am trying to get the tail shifter one to be a bolt on with little to no mods....looks doable, but we shall see.

Hmmm, counter weights. Thanks for the tip, B!
JPB
Joy stick? I smell solenoids burning biggrin.gif Inktarestink ya. Busted!!!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.