Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front Oil Cooler
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
billd
I am planning to mount the front oil cooler in my 6-conversion in the next few days and have been debating whether to shock mount it or just hard mount it to the floor of the front trunk.

Does anyone here have any experience or advice one way or the other? Shock mounts will isolate it from high-frequency vibration but will raise it nearly an inch off the floor. A hard mount is simpler and lower, but the cooler will feel very bump and vibration.
DanT
Bill, if this is any consolation...mine is mounted to the floor directly...the only rubber is a seal around the periphery to make sure the air flow goes thru the cooler and out the bottom.

I have had no issues thus far on several very bumpy courses (candlestick) and doing a little curb surfing at TH and BW.

BTW....nice job this year with the GGR AX series....looking forward to next season when you bring out the big guns.
Between you, and BillP with the Boxster Spec car and hopefully Randal's killer 914 car, someone will be able to give the Smurf a real run for its money at every event.
SirAndy
QUOTE(billd @ Oct 30 2006, 09:16 PM) *

Does anyone here have any experience

i don't, but i was told by those who have been there and done that, that a direct mount can result in cracking of the cooler.
so i mounted mine "floating". it's a sandwich press-fit between two u-channels with foam padding.

smile.gif Andy

IPB Image
East coaster
I used isolators to mount mine. I have one in each corner at the top and one big center mount it sits on on the bottom. I'm not sure if it's necessary, but it couldn't hurt???

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
BMartin914
Use some form of isolators and "shock mount it." Over time, the vibration may cause the fins in the cooler to break or separate.
Brad Roberts
What they said..

Shock mount it

Just this past summer I watched as a cooler seeped oil into the front trunk of a 914 from being solid mounted a few years back. I think the Fluidyne style coolers are less prone to this type of failure than a Earls sandwhich style.

You wont find a radiator in any prodcution car that is solid mounted..

Set it on some strips of rubber if you have too. Nobody says it has to be the rubber isolators like on a 993 air cleaner.

B
John
I have mine sitting in a U-channel on the bottom and have the top trapped in an inverted U-channel. I used some rough top conveyor belting to isolate it slightly.

I did this on mine mainly because I cut the mounting ears off to mount mine closer to the floor.

front cooler
East coaster
"Nobody says it has to be the rubber isolators like on a 993 air cleaner."

Hey....I think Brad's poking at my re-use of defunct 3.6 parts poke.gif

or are you just having fun with "name that part" biggrin.gif
Eric_Shea
My 911 mounts are isolated from the factory.

Not sure what I'm going to do with the GT as it hangs from the factory mounting holes on the non-factory shroud. I think the shroud will flex bu I will have spongy stuff underneath.
PRS914-6
I don't think it's the vibration that kills them at least up in front. It's direct bolting them top and bottom. When it's bolted top and bottom, it then becomes a structural member of the car and when the car flexes, it transfers that to the cooler.

I mounted mine solid on the top on a cross rail and used a rubber lined channel for the bottom to rest in (no bolts) Basically it hangs there, free to move but can't go anywhere.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Brad Roberts
Hey....I think Brad's poking at my re-use of defunct 3.6 parts

or are you just having fun with "name that part"

I will never make fun of your project. I rank it in the top3 3.6 conversion cars running around the USA right now.

It was strictly a "name that part" game that you caught me on..LOL

I used to get paid to attend swap meets with people smile.gif

B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.