Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fog light to landing light conversion?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RickS
In the last copy of Excellence, some guy writes in looking for upgraded fogs. The answer man, totally ignores the request for better fogs and suggests going to 250 Watt 12 volt, direct bolt in aircraft landing lights. He does suggest running separate heavy duty wiress from the battery (duh) with an inline fuse with a relay from the stock fog switch. Has anyone done anything like this - or similar? If so, how did you like the results?

The lights are made by GE - who brings good things to light....
Aaron Cox
pilot fog lights from camp914.com

delving back into lurk mode
DrifterJay
I can forsee about 600 posts from you within the next week with this at the end: "delving back into lurk mode"....nice seeing you Aaron cool_shades.gif

QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Oct 30 2006, 09:23 PM) *

Twystd1
Back in the day.......

We used landing lights on our VW bugs.

They provide great WHITE light. As opposed to the blue crappola that the youngens are using. (read ricer cars)

I say go for it. If your charging system will handle it.

I also like the direct wire method with a relay and fuse in line. It will save your switches and give you a fused wire.....Just in case.....
highways
Aren't the coils a little over taxed on our cars with any heavier electrical modifications? I remember someone talking about a better coil for powering a amplifier for the stereo. I don't really know, just asking....
Tony
It's not the coil that powers the lights, radio ect. it's the alternator. You will need more amps from it.
The coil is for your spark plugs,

Bleyseng
Just order the CAMP914 pilot lites as they are the best and fit too. Blast the road with your pilot driving lites! They work great for those dark roads. Great to blind oncoming idiots with their highbeams on too.
IanStott
Back in the mid 70's my neighbour put a set of aircraft landing lights in his Vega that had a 283, looked real cool and the amount of light was blinding! Probably,no surely way too bright to be legal, and rightly so as blinding oncoming drivers is not nice! Anyway long story short they melted his grill and he took them out and replaced the grill etc. and put in a pair of Hella's. Now fast forward to 2006, my brother just put in a new landing light in his airplane, apparently it doesn't draw much power, (new technology??) and also heat is not a problem. I can find out more about it from him if you are interested.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
ConeDodger
QUOTE(IanStott @ Oct 31 2006, 07:14 AM) *

Back in the mid 70's my neighbour put a set of aircraft landing lights in his Vega that had a 283, looked real cool and the amount of light was blinding! Probably,no surely way too bright to be legal, and rightly so as blinding oncoming drivers is not nice! Anyway long story short they melted his grill and he took them out and replaced the grill etc. and put in a pair of Hella's. Now fast forward to 2006, my brother just put in a new landing light in his airplane, apparently it doesn't draw much power, (new technology??) and also heat is not a problem. I can find out more about it from him if you are interested.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada

Huh... How strange. Why did he replace the grill? We just threw that whole damned car away. biggrin.gif
Dr Evil
It must be using metric watts for power wink.gif
pfierb
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Oct 31 2006, 12:23 AM) *

I knew that you couldn't stay away....something akin to giving up smoking.

Paul
RS22b
To solve this problem i am putting in a set of those Camp Pilot lites, But also putting on a set of Hella FF1000 Xenon Driving lights!

These things project light upto 1 full KM!!!

I currently have them on one of my Imprezas and they are just killer ....

You can purchase them in Halogen as well and wont be the $1200 price tag.

_billy
Bleyseng
QUOTE(RS22b @ Oct 31 2006, 07:53 AM) *

To solve this problem i am putting in a set of those Camp Pilot lites, But also putting on a set of Hella FF1000 Xenon Driving lights!

_billy

I don't know how many watts/amps those draw but setup relays or you'll melt you ignition switch quickly as its really lite weight.
Cap'n Krusty
Ask yourself: "What possible good could come of putting a gajillion watts of lighting 15-18 inches off the ground?" The Cap'n
Dr Evil
agree.gif I 100% agree with Krusty, you should be thinking roof rack! Get those suckers off the ground, stop deer in the road 3 miles away!

Boo-ya mueba.gif
Eric_Shea

F'n homo couldn't even make 1 day!! w00t.gif LOL lol3.gif
dmenche914
That many watts is likely illegal in many States for road use. Don't get caught, also think of liabilty if you blind an oncoming drivers (from a mile away???) and cause a crash. You could be civilly liable, maybe crimminally if it is illegal.
John
Ask yourself: "What possible good could come of putting a gajillion watts of lighting 15-18 inches off the ground?" The Cap'n

Could they be used to melt snow before the car gets there?
jhadler
I knew somebody that put ACL's on their Datsun 510 back inthe 80's. The car litterally SLOWED DOWN when they turned 'em on due to the load on the alternator. And yes, they had to install a monster alternator to drive the suckers...

But it was trully a "night into day" conversion.

I don't know who was being the "answer" man in that article, but ACL's are not such a good idea on a car... Much less for _fog_ lights...

-Josh2
turboman808
QUOTE(RS22b @ Oct 31 2006, 07:53 AM) *

_billy

I have been eyein the FF heela lights for some time. I am really curious how well they work. Must light up the road like it's day light.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(JOHNMAN @ Oct 31 2006, 10:53 AM) *

Could they be used to melt snow before the car gets there?

I KNEW there had to be ONE good reason! The Cap'n
Katmanken
Heck,

I'm mounting a set of those suckers on my roll bar.....

Aimed backwards.....

That way I can remove the gigawatt capacitor bank, the row of 42 camera flashes, and the automatically activated cap bank charging system and brightness tripped flash actuator that I now use for idjuts with too bright lights that drive too close behind me.....

Ken
davep
Apparently North America only got fog lights since driving lights were illegal back then. A pilot friend told me that some ACL lights on aircraft could actually burn holes in the fog.
RickS
I use my fogs as daytime running lights, just for an extra margain of safety. Low cars can be easily overlooked. I have no plans to change to ACLs at this time. Just wanted to know if people were running them and how they liked them. Sounds like they would even be far too bright for even daytime runners.
Scott-thundercat
as an aside on my 4runner i have 6 130 watt lights pointed forwards on the roof... i usually just run 2 when offroading and damn are they bright- i can see for about 1/4 mile reflections off the hill in front of me... so i cant even imagine the landing lights... although it sound like fun! when i have all 6 it just gets ridiculous- if there's bugs flying around the glare off em makes it hard to see.
Scott-thundercat
oh yeah and just remember 740 watts is 1 horsepower of draw.... i cant feel a difference when i have my horsepower of lights going but im sure its there!
davep
More important is that the OEM alternator is only 50 amps, that is only 600 watts. Lets rate all components at 12 volts, for sure all the lights are rated at that voltage. I doubt that the factory allowed any more than about 200 watts of that for a margin. The VW 411 had a 55 amp alternator on the same engine to allow for the gas heaters. The rebuilders tell me that running an alternator at or over rating amps will shorten the life dramatically. Naturally, if you run a system over the alternator capacity the battery will be drained.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.