Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Newbie Oil Change Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Brother
It must have been Richard Cranium Day yesterday.

Bought the car on Saturday and I decide to change the oil yesterday.

19mm on the drain plug and everything drained out.

Oil Filter next (crappy orange can). What a mess, must be no drainback valve on those POS filters.

My first question - Is there some trick to getting the filter between the clutch cable and the HE? I have SSI's.

Second question - does everyone refill with 3.5qts or 4qts? I see references to both?

I have a 1.9 motor in a 72.
Chris Pincetich
That filter is a tight fit. I removed part of the heat ducting to get a "good look" at it. Not necessary, but helped. Now I can tilt, line up, and twist it on no prob w/o removing anything. Still haven't bought a strap wrench, I just tighten it by hand real gud. beerchug.gif
Heeltoe914
If you have pulled part of the heat ducting and its not coming out your Eng bar may be bent. look at the bolts on both ends and see if the bar is angled back, if so get new bolts and the filter should come right off.
Brother
I didn't realize I could remove the ducting. I'll take another look and a picture next time.

Do you fill up to 3.5 qts or 4? huh.gif

Yes, it really is a 1.9. 1.7 crank and 96mm cylinders to make 1911cc engine.

davep
Fill the filter with oil before installing, and wipe the rubber seal with a film of oil. Be very sure that there is not a rubber seal stuck to the console. Double seals will result in a blowout. Add another 3 quarts to the engine. Start it up for a minute. Shut down and wait a bit for the oil to drain back to the crankcase. Measure the oil level with the dipstick. Add more oil to bring the level to the middle range. Typically about 3.5 without a filter change and 4 with the filter.
Put a drop of oil on the felt wick in the middle of the distributor shaft. You do that every oil change, right?
bottomend
And... you should take out the screen ( the large round plate in the midle of the crankcase) and give it a good cleaning. Two new gaskets are needed upon replacement. Most importantly>> Tighten that bolt to 9ft/lbs ONLY. Dont have a tourque wrench? BUY ONE BEFORE YOU TIGHTEN THIS BOLT. Yes, it's THAT important.
turboman808
No problem I didn't know how to change mine either
Brother
Thanks fellas. I really appreciate the help. I'll be using this place as much as I used Pelican for my 911.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(Brother @ Nov 1 2006, 03:19 PM) *

Thanks fellas. I really appreciate the help. I'll be using this place as much as I used Pelican for my 911.

If Pelican's 911 advice is as bad as their 914 stuff, you were in trouble ..... The Cap'n
davep
IF you decide to clean the screen, be sure to get a new aluminum crush washer for the bolt also. I believe at some point the dealerships were told not to perform this operation since too many mechanics overtightened the bolt. That bolt goes up into a cam bearing saddle IIRC. Overtightening will cause engine seizure, that is why the torque spec is way beyond critical. In other words, if you don't have to clean the screen, don't.
Brother
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Nov 1 2006, 06:19 PM) *

QUOTE(Brother @ Nov 1 2006, 03:19 PM) *

If Pelican's 911 advice is as bad as their 914 stuff, you were in trouble ..... The Cap'n

What's wrong with their 914 stuff, and what is the preferred place to purchase 914 stuff?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.