Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 320hp Type IV motor???
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mueller
As seen on eBay:

Motor for sale

I'm somewhat confused by this statement:

This motor is an estimated "Real" 320HP@280 foot pounds of torque -- complete turnkey!
Katmanken
Depends on your definition of "real"........

This guy could get the "sales ho" of the year award for a statement like that...

And he might slapped with the largest "false advertising" judgement ever for a type IV laugh.gif

Ken
Qarl
Hey.. it is almost 2.8L and has a TURBO...

But it's not in a 914, so the old adage doesn't neccessarily apply!!!!
Air_Cooled_Nut
Egad! There's no filter on the turbo intake huh.gif At a minimum, for an off-roader, there should be something to protect that impeller! Tsk tsk.
GWN7
I think the big white thing on top is the filter. The pipe sticking backwards is the exaust, which comes from the trubo, but we all know you can't turbo a TIV wink.gif (think I read that somewhere)
Air_Cooled_Nut
QUOTE(GWN7 @ Nov 7 2003, 05:19 PM)
I think the big white thing on top is the filter. The pipe sticking backwards is the exaust, which comes from the trubo, but we all know you can't turbo a TIV wink.gif (think I read that somewhere)

I know what I'm looking at. Air has to pass INTO the turbo before it goes into that box. An air filter in the box is useless for cleaning the air that the turbo sucks in.
URY914
I want it for my car. w00t.gif
I could set the land speed record for 914's laugh.gif

Paul
EdwardBlume
Dude, your fenders would blow off!!!!! wink.gif
fiid
Yeah - that would suck in gravel and damage the turbo badly.

Also - the air cooling instake draws air over the turbo - that can't be good.

I don't believe it - I think it would cost more than that to get that kind of output from a type IV.
street legal go-kart
i might be a big dumb ass but i dont belive we are looking at a type 4 engine here
from what i can see this appears to be a type 1

jt
Mark Henry
Sorry big dumb ass but it is a T4.

As for the hp claims all I can say is "cough-cough -bullshit-cough".

nuff-said.
p914
I had a guy near where I used to live and he was sandrail fanatic. He said they were all looking for 914 engines to soop up and put in their rails. It seems to be the engine of choice for a number of them.
airsix
It's the age old story.

Guys with type-I's want type-IV's
Guys with type-IV's want early sixes.
Guys with early sixes want a 3.0
Guys with a 3.0 want a 3.2
Guys with a 3.2 want a 3.6
Guys with a 3.6 want a bigger hootus. wink.gif

-Ben
Brad Roberts
Um guys..

Your all lost. There is NO reason why this thing doesnt lay down 320hp.

Britains 2.3 liter engine will lay down 250-260 when we are done.

Competition engineering is a pioneer in turbo applications. They hold several VW pro stock racing championships with their type3 Notch full tube chassis pro stock car running a type 1 "based" engine.

They know what they are doing and I personally beleive him.

Think about it. Jake laid down what ?? with his 2.7 type4 ?? 220-240 ?? adding 60hp with a single turbo is not far fetched.

*warning* asshole statement ahead:

You guy's need to pull your head out of the sand.

B
SirAndy
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Nov 8 2003, 01:12 AM)
*warning* asshole statement ahead:
You guy's need to pull your head out of the sand.

ooops, he did it again ... laugh.gif
Brad Roberts
Did what ?? (dont fool with mother nature)

B
SirAndy
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Nov 8 2003, 02:38 AM)
Did what ?? (dont fool with mother nature)

the whole "Asshole" myth kinda thing ...
dan10101
I'd have to agree with Brad. If you look at the 944 2.5 turbo, there are many cases of near 400rwhp cars. This is with marginal heads.

My point is.. the Type 4 with proper heads (like Jake is proposing) and matched engine components and turbo could easily put out that kind of HP.

The engine is a big pump. Pump in lots of air and proper fuel mixture and pump out lots of HP. The only real differences between a 944 2.5 and a type 4 2.5 is the head.

Yes, it's 5:30am, I've been up all night babysitting 8 sugared and videogamed teens. They're still going strong, I'm probably not making any sense at all...
Andyrew
ummmmmm sugar!!!!!

I agree with dad.

Doom engine ring a bell?

Andrew
Tom Perso
I think that motor could easily make that much HP. I think it would make more if it had a proper induction system... IE, ditch the carbs and run FI with a full computer system.

Now, chuck those POS 105's out the window and throw in a set of LN's Nickies and you have a decent motor that will haul ASS and not blow up in a day.

105's suck.

Again, let me state...

105's suck.

Tom
Mueller
I have no doubts at all of the hp that can be achieved with this motor, it's the way he wrote the hp "claim".

is the hp;
estimated
or
real (proven)?
SirAndy
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Nov 8 2003, 05:30 AM)
Doom engine ring a bell?

no, but i really liked the game wink.gif
tracks914
I believe that it is possible to get that kind of HP from a T4 but my question is this, will the rest of the motor take the abuse of 340hp? To get 1000 hp from a turbo CART engine is easy @ 65 inches of boost but just one little itty bitty thing go wrong @ 17,000rpm and poof...its all gone.

What rpm would you have to run this engine at to get 300+ hp. You won't do it @ 5000rpm. Maybe 8000rpm+ and would the T4 crank and bearings take that kind of forces? Would the connecting rod and pistons stay together for very long?
I just wish I had the money to try. cool_shades.gif
URY914
I agree, 320hp but for how long?
Those sand rails don't really "hook up" to put any stress on the drive train like a car on pavement does.

OK, disagree with me now.

Paul
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.