Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A-arm bushings, can they be removed ...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ein 6er
i want to powder coat my a-arms, and polybronze or needles aren't in the budget, (and don't want the plastic ones).

BTW, these are low mile '86 carrera arms, i've had them in storage for about .... 20 yrs, time to use them.

thanks!!
Lou W
Nope, they are vulcanized in there, I had to burn them out when I did mine. I used the PolyBronze Bushing Kit on mine, but there are other options out there for replacement of the bushings, someone on the board here, I think it was Aaron? has run the Delrin style with no squeeking.

Jonathon (Loos Motorports) sells them too, he's a member here.
914-8
They actually aren't vulcanized on, but merely press fit into place. Very tightly press fit.

Over the years, though, they tend to stick themselves pretty good to the a-arm.

They are easy to remove if you heat them up real good. You can remove with very little force. But if you could apply enough force to them, you could get them removed without heating them. And you might be able to do it without damaging them.

But getting them removed isn't the problem.

The problem is getting them back on.

You can buy stock rubber style bushings from places like Smart racing. Some have tried that. But the problem is getting them on. When you see the size of the uncompressed rubber bushing, you quickly see the problem! You'd need some kind of huge press, and probably some tooling to get them started without destroying them. Smart Racing does it somehow, but no one seems quite sure how.

(P.S. Pete S. - See, this is information people need! Let me know how it's going burnout.gif )
Kargeek
Many years ago when I built my car I was able to locate factory rubber bushings. After powercoating my a-arms and rear trailing arms, I was able to press the new bushings in using a press and lots of silcone grease. It can be done -with patience. DH
ptravnic
What kinds of costs are we talking about for the different types of bushings? I have a spare set of control arms that I plan on powdercoating/new bushings over the winter...

-pt
ein 6er
thanx everybody!!

i guess i'll just paint them, for now.

pt, you can get just the bushings, polygraphite, for about $40, but i think they take some work to get them to fit, and it's recommended to cut some grooves to get grease in them.

chris foley sells delrin bushings pressed into the mounts with grease fittings for $295. a set.

the polybronze are about $240 from elephant racing.

here is a link to pelican.

and i can't find seem to find any info on the roller bearings.

hope this helps.

carr914
Hi Doug, All my Buds are posting tonight. I hope you don't mind, but I posted one of your photos from the 24 HRs of Daytona on the Pelican Boards Art Shots. Of course I gave you all the credit.
All The Best, T.C.
carr914
This was the picture. I thought was beautiful.

T.C.
ein 6er
QUOTE(carr914 @ Nov 1 2006, 05:05 PM) *

Hi Doug, All my Buds are posting tonight. I hope you don't mind, but I posted one of your photos from the 24 HRs of Daytona on the Pelican Boards Art Shots. Of course I gave you all the credit.
All The Best, T.C.

yeah, we are all trying to get into the "group:PW"!! biggrin.gif

art shots?!? confused24.gif haven't seen it, no i don't mind, thanks for the credit. you could have posted a linky though. poke.gif
ein 6er
OK .... i type slow ....

that was the 1st time i tried a time lapse with a digi cam. i am so used to shooting fuji velvia film, this shot would have had so much more saturation with film. i tried tweeking it in PS, but it just wouldn't look like a film time lapse shot.
carr914
Not quite sure how to post a link, but go to Pelican, then 911BBS, then do a search for "Lets See your Best Art Shots"

T.C.
ptravnic
QUOTE(ein 6er @ Nov 1 2006, 07:54 PM) *

thanx everybody!!

i guess i'll just paint them, for now.

pt, you can get just the bushings, polygraphite, for about $40, but i think they take some work to get them to fit, and it's recommended to cut some grooves to get grease in them.

chris foley sells delrin bushings pressed into the mounts with grease fittings for $295. a set.

the polybronze are about $240 from elephant racing.

here is a link to pelican.

and i can't find seem to find any info on the roller bearings.

hope this helps.

Thanks for the feedback. -pt
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.