Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Makin' Tools
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
McMark
I made a couple of tools I thought I'd share. Nothing all too interesting, but I had a good time making them.

Made a deck height tool. Aluminum plate drilled some holes with a drill press for the studs to pass through, and in the center for access. Drilled and tapped a hole to mount the dial indicator (to find true TDC). Right now I have some galvanized pipe used as spacers. These need to be replaced with something a little more stout.
Click to view attachment

This is a head stand. My friend who builds american V8 motors has something like this for his heads. The four pegs line up with the head nut seats and the threaded ends allow me to adjust the level when I'm determining combustion chamber volume.
Click to view attachment

Here is how the head looks. Very handy to have a nice solid base to work with.
Click to view attachment
rick 918-S
thumb3d.gif thumb3d.gif
Jeroen
smart & simple
I like it!
swood
Slick...
Borderline
Looks cool! Can we mod the first one to get deck ht too?
McMark
The first one is for measuring deck height (my post was a little confusing). But you need the dial indicator to find TRUE TDC, then measure deck height. smile.gif So it does both. To get the deck height, measure from the top of the plate down to the piston, and then subtract the thickness of the plate.
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(McMark @ Oct 31 2006, 09:27 PM) *

The first one is for measuring deck height (my post was a little confusing). But you need the dial indicator to find TRUE TDC, then measure deck height. smile.gif So it does both. To get the deck height, measure from the top of the plate down to the piston, and then subtract the thickness of the plate.

Easier still is to lay the plate on a flat surface and set the indicator to measure zero from the bottom of the plate. Then when in use your readings are direct. Well almost direct. Unless you have a depth indicator, you will need to count backwards.
URY914
I like guys that are always thinking and trying to do something better. thumb3d.gif
DNHunt
Hey Mark. Just a yhought can you adjust it to measure different spots on the piston? If you have a piston with a dish or worse valve pockets you may want to measure at the edge of the piston.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.