Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: are 1.7 and 2.0 FI harnesses compatable?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
shaggy
im guessing they are not but im hoping they are

i have two hacked up EFI harnesses for a 2.0 that are trash(years unknown)

i have the 72 1.7 harness that is on the car now

i have less than a month to get this car running

(the ecu is a 72 2.o d-jet)

thanks
-jim
SLITS
According to god .... Mr. Bowlsby ..... they are electrically the same, but some component locations are different .... whether the wires will stretch I dunno.
mihai914
The major difference that will make a 1.7 harness incompatible with a 2.0 one is the TPS connector, some had five and other had four, so you'll have to check for that to start. The other issue will be component placement and if the wires will reach. I think 73 harnesses are compatible if the wires will reach. ECUs don't matter in this case.
BMartin914
QUOTE(SLITS @ Oct 31 2006, 07:59 PM) *

According to god .... Mr. Bowlsby ..... they are electrically the same, but some component locations are different .... whether the wires will stretch I dunno.

agree.gif

They don't reach. You could lengthen the connections though if you were desperate.
gregrobbins
QUOTE(shaggy @ Oct 31 2006, 07:56 PM) *

(the ecu is a 72 2.o d-jet)

thanks
-jim

Jim, the only 2.0L in a 914 in 1972 was a six, and they were carburated.

The first 2.0L motors were in the '73 model year. I have a bunch of efi stuff at the house, lets see what we can put together. Tell FlatVW that I will trade a complete d-jet system for that "core" motor in the green car. biggrin.gif

jasons
QUOTE(gregrobbins @ Oct 31 2006, 09:59 PM) *

Tell FlatVW that I will trade a complete d-jet system for that "core" motor in the green car. biggrin.gif

chairfall.gif Where is that thing, I think us vultures are starting to circle.

The cold start valve/thermo switch wiring might be different but you don't even really need that here in AZ. It will almost never be engaged. You could run the car without it, no problem. Even if its a temporary situation.

I think with the TPS, the 4 plug connector works in the 5 plug TPS. You just have to get it shifted left or right correctly. Not sure which direction.

As far as component locations, you're on your own. I have a junk 73 2.0 harness you could use to figure out those lengths and lengthen your 1.7 harness.
TravisNeff
I was able to use a 72 1.7 harness for my 73 2.0. A couple of wires needed to be lengthened, but turned out fine.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.