Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: HELP! What could this sound be?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ahdoman
I've got a high pitched squeel coming from the driver side rear of the car. It sounds like it could be a wheel bearing but only manifests itself above 35 mph. It is definately not the brake since applying it does not make it go away. It also does not change pitch with speed. It shows up above 35 and stays consistent. Is it possible for a CV or drive shaft to make that noise? I put the car on jackstands and ran it up to 35mph (wheels spinning freely off the ground) but it is hard to tell where it is coming from. It takes a mile or two before it starts. Any ideas?
brp914
alt belt? alt bearings? I've had bad rear wheel bearings but that made a rumble sound. I had a bad cv and I heard a whistling sound, but that was actually me whistling as I was walking home. the cv made no sound up until it let loose.
SGB
brake backing plate touching? or maybe brake pad clearance too close? Those are just wild guesses...
ahdoman
QUOTE(SGB @ Oct 31 2006, 08:05 PM) *

brake backing plate touching? or maybe brake pad clearance too close? Those are just wild guesses...

Thanks for the guesses but I know it's not brakes because I can step on them and drag them and it doesn't affect the sound.
Brad Roberts
Applying the brakes wont change the noise if a small pebble is rubbing the rotor and trapped between the backing plate.

Do you smell burning rubber? Not joking.

B
ahdoman
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Oct 31 2006, 08:53 PM) *

Applying the brakes wont change the noise if a small pebble is rubbing the rotor and trapped between the backing plate.

Do you smell burning rubber? Not joking.

B

There is nothing (smell wise) out of the ordinary. This has got me puzzled because last time I had a wheel bearing go it was more of a low pitch grind noise. There is no obvious fluid leaks, shavings or other telltale signs of anything. It seems to be tied to the rear wheel or drivetrain since it is not affected by revs only rolling speed. It still does it when I am out of gear rolling downhill. I don't think it's a pebble because it doesn't kick in until about 35 mph.
Brad Roberts
Is the speedo needle "jumpy"??

B
ahdoman
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Oct 31 2006, 09:04 PM) *

Is the speedo needle "jumpy"??

B

It's funny you should mention that. I thought about that and checked it. The needle jumps a little bit but not bad. The rubber boot on the speedo assembly is split and so I nylon tied it back on. How loose is the sender unit (on the back of the trans) be? I can move it around. The sound didm't seem to eminate from there but it's hard to tell with the engine noise.
mrhurtalot
i had a sound like this.

is it like a whistling or a high pitch whirring?

i attributed mine to the little flat hole i have in one of my exhause tips.
(damn steep driveways!)
ahdoman
QUOTE(mrhurtalot @ Oct 31 2006, 10:09 PM) *

i had a sound like this.

is it like a whistling or a high pitch whirring?

i attributed mine to the little flat hole i have in one of my exhause tips.
(damn steep driveways!)

It's more of a screech. I know it is not an exhaust thing Because it is speed dependant not rpm. It is in the drive line somewhere.
type47
WOW, i'm serious when i say i have the EXACT same noise. it comes on at about 30-35 miles per hour and stops pretty much when the speed dips below 30. it doesn't happen all the time. it's sort of a warbling high pitched squeal, doesn't seem to be affected by the brakes. comes and goes. seems to be coming from the right rear.
ahdoman
QUOTE(type47 @ Nov 1 2006, 07:09 AM) *

WOW, i'm serious when i say i have the EXACT same noise. it comes on at about 30-35 miles per hour and stops pretty much when the speed dips below 30. it doesn't happen all the time. it's sort of a warbling high pitched squeal, doesn't seem to be affected by the brakes. comes and goes. seems to be coming from the right rear.

And my wife said I'm the only whinner she knows blink.gif ! It's good to know I'm not alone. Mine showed up yesterday and has not gone away. It was very appropriate for Halloween. My car sounds like a banshee riding a volkswagen! How long has yours been doing that?
type47
QUOTE(ahdoman @ Nov 1 2006, 07:28 AM) *

[How long has yours been doing that?

i've had the car on the road for 2 yrs but have only put about 5k miles on it, but it's been doing it for ~1yr (at least, i heard it summer 05) but nothing is happening so i'm taking the approach "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". it is embarrasing though but .... what the heck is it???????
ahdoman
QUOTE(type47 @ Nov 1 2006, 09:09 AM) *

QUOTE(ahdoman @ Nov 1 2006, 07:28 AM) *

[How long has yours been doing that?

i've had the car on the road for 2 yrs but have only put about 5k miles on it, but it's been doing it for ~1yr (at least, i heard it summer 05) but nothing is happening so i'm taking the approach "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". it is embarrasing though but .... what the heck is it???????

I was hoping someone from the club had experienced this already and could give me an idea. I am not opposed to pulling apart the drive train but I really don't want to have to buy a bunch of parts that it may not be!
Brad Roberts
Try lubing the speedo cable on both ends. Just shoot some WD40 into for now to find out if this is the issue.

B
bd1308
my bearings in my transmission are a tiny bit worn, and they make a faint sound much like the one you describe.
steveaz
Had this exact symptom on a 914 in my past. Turned out to be the right rear wheel bearing. Above 25 mph I would get an oscillating squeal that was unaffected by braking or speed. It would happen about every tenth time I would drive the car.

Had to get the car aligned at my local shop and had them swap out the wheel bearing at the same time, problem solved. Hope this helps.
Dr Evil
Long shot, but see if it is coming form the out put of the tranny. There is a bearing in there too ya know wink.gif
JPB
Does the trany leak fluid? Are you giving rides to young leagaly excitable girls? SQWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE?

beer.gif That would be a good squeel bro.
firstknight13
dry.gif i had a similar noise it ended up being the hex bar linkage on my dual carb set up changed the linkage and it went away biggrin.gif clap56.gif
ahdoman
Hey all,
I think I've isolated it to be a bearing. Thanks for all the great input. I am picking up a bearing today so we'll see.

Jim (Type47) - If that fixes it I'll let you know.
Brad - lubed the cable, still there. Thanks
Dr. Evil - Hope it's not my trany bearing but we'll see. If it is I'll be using your removal advice.
JPB - No young girls. Only the wife and she moans. grouphug.gif
bandjoey
Bringing this thread back to see what ws the answer...bearing? girls? rocks in our heads?

I've had this squeal for a year. Never changes in pitch. Whiirrr-Whiirr=Whiirr

Starts and ends at about 25mph. Tranny full of oil and shifts like a new one. Speedo not bouncing. No grinding noise.Same noise on 2 motors. Brakes don't effect it.

Adoman never let us know the answer...
SLITS
I believe he sold the car.

He bought the Brown Turd from me. Completely restored it and replaced the 2.4L with a 2.7L.

Many moons ago!
euro911
This was the car prior to Steve acquiring the Brown Turd. He sold the Turd as well and ain't been heard from since dry.gif

I'm gonna have to call that sucka call me.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.