Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mainley Custom oil sump plate
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
turboman808
I am wondering what is the difference between the one with a drain plug and the one without.

Is there any reason I wouldn't want to get the one with the drain plug? When I change the oil right now I take the plate off while I am doing this. So is there some reason I can't use the one with the drain plug?

IPB Image

IPB Image

http://mainelycustombydesign.com/engine_components.html
iamchappy
I purchased one with the drain plug in it, I am also using a 930 turbo pump which normally doesn't have a drain plug in the cover. If your using it with a stock pump check that the drain plug orientation is on the drivers side, not front or back.
smdubovsky
At some point porsche changed the internal screen around the pickup (dont ask - I have no clue what year or the differences - I just remember reading it in several places). Im not sure all of them can use a cover w/ a plug. As iamchappy alluded to, make sure you put the plug in the right place. It can block the pickup.

FWIW, I dont normally remove the whole cover fon an oil change. My motors have the fectory covers w/ a plug. If it ain't leaking and I have no reason to need to peek in there, I let sleeping dogs lie.

SMD
turboman808
SO I am a bit confused still. First do I need to take that plate off when I change my oil? I don't currently have a drain plug and it seems oil collects there. I guess it's not alot so it doesn't matter much.

But if I can get the plate with a plug on it to work that would be nice. I didn't really think about wether or not it would hit the screen. As far as pumps go I am pretty sure mine has a 3.6 pump but the motor is a 2.7.

But looking at the pictures it seems the one with the drain plug sits a little lower for more clearance.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.