Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: GAUGE FONT
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
marks914
I am in the process of making my own quad gauge to replace the one that holds the fuel gauge. Anyone know what font is used on the gauges? I have a few that I can morph to get pretty close, but I would like to get closer.

Thanks
Mark
Jeroen
can you post a pic
I don't have any gauges at hand...
Jeroen
PS that cut-a-way drawing of your car is awesome!
marks914
Thanks for the comment on the cutaway!

Here is what I have so far...

I will post some pics of my SEAM car later as well (Nitro Panel wagon)

Mark
andys
North Hollywood Speedometer sells a quad gauge that is Porsche ready, but it's $500. They had one on display at the GAF in Sept.

What kind of guts are you using for your guage?

Andys
marks914
I need a setup for my SBC, english units, threads, etc with matching senders. I am using autometer guts from the gauges I aleady have been using in the car.

PS here are some links to my SEMA car:
http://suvs.autoblog.com/2006/10/17/dodge-...d-of-sema-show/

http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2006/10/sema_2006.html

http://www.jalopnik.com/photogallery/DodgeNitroPanel

McMark
The mockup looks beautiful. biggrin.gif I would think making the voltmeter needle 'rest' at the bottom would look more balanced. wink.gif As to a font, I HIGHLY doubt there is an official font. You're going to have to make one yourself. Remember the gauge numbers were finalized in 1969.
jsteele22

Wow, that gauge looks awesome !

I just have to ask, though - why no 3/4 on the fuel level ?

John
Who are you going to get to do the lettering/printing?

Curious minds want to know.

Looks good, but that's a lot of stuff in there.
marks914
I can cut vinyl or do transfers at work fro the lettering.

Most German cars do not have a 3/4 indication on the fuel gauge believe it or not.

Mark
lybones
That looks great! I'd be really interested in a unit like this for my v8 teener. Any plans on making a few? idea.gif
marks914
QUOTE(lybones @ Nov 1 2006, 01:55 PM) *

That looks great! I'd be really interested in a unit like this for my v8 teener. Any plans on making a few? idea.gif

If someone sends me a couple of gauges, I will make two at the same time.

Mark
G e o r g e
QUOTE(marks914 @ Nov 1 2006, 04:26 PM) *

Mark

forget my response to your want to buy add. what guages do you need, i want 1, just don't add the v8 put on it
Larry.Hubby
Don't know how close you'll think it is, but I made some custom faces for the small 911 guages in my dash, and found that "Arial Black" was the closest of the reasonably common windows fonts to the lettering on the original VDO guages. The tail at the top of the number "1" was the most definitive factor. Arial Black was the only font I had that had the same shape and elongated tail as the VDO lettering.
dakotaewing
QUOTE(George H. @ Nov 1 2006, 08:29 PM) *

Mark

forget my response to your want to buy add. what guages do you need, i want 1, just don't add the v8 put on it

I would love to have one as well for my V8 car, with a black background...
If your willing to make them, just let me know what you need.. (like which gauge...)
lybones
QUOTE(dakotaewing @ Nov 1 2006, 09:27 PM) *

QUOTE(George H. @ Nov 1 2006, 08:29 PM) *

Mark

I would love to have one as well for my V8 car, with a black background...
If your willing to make them, just let me know what you need.. (like which gauge...)

dittos....here, Seems we're all interested. drooley.gif
John
It kind of reminds me of a 924 gauge....

marks914
QUOTE(Larry Hubby @ Nov 1 2006, 08:20 PM) *

Don't know how close you'll think it is, but I made some custom faces for the small 911 guages in my dash, and found that "Arial Black" was the closest of the reasonably common windows fonts to the lettering on the original VDO guages. The tail at the top of the number "1" was the most definitive factor. Arial Black was the only font I had that had the same shape and elongated tail as the VDO lettering.

Thanks Larry,
I am using a modified cornerstone. I will have to re-draw a few numbers, but it looks pretty close.

I haven't done any manual graphics since school, sould be fun.

Mark

PS all- once I get a gauge apart, I will let you all know if this is possible, I can probably make kits that work with various gauges/senders.
machina
i made a couple gauge faces. Took them apart, scanned the old face, and then added the numbers i wanted. I forgot the font i used but it was very close to the original. Think i added psi numbers to pressure gauge and temp F to the temp gauge. I also made an 8k tach but never used it. i really wanted a gauge with the old style silver stud at the center.
John
QUOTE(synthesisdv @ Nov 2 2006, 04:56 AM) *

i made a couple gauge faces. Took them apart, scanned the old face, and then added the numbers i wanted. I forgot the font i used but it was very close to the original. Think i added psi numbers to pressure gauge and temp F to the temp gauge. I also made an 8k tach but never used it. i really wanted a gauge with the old style silver stud at the center.

What did you print those on?

Printer?
Material?
Lou W
QUOTE(marks914 @ Nov 1 2006, 11:00 AM) *

Thanks for the comment on the cutaway!

Here is what I have so far...

I will post some pics of my SEAM car later as well (Nitro Panel wagon)

Mark

Very nice job thumb3d.gif
machina
its on adhesive backed vinyl. most printers can use it these days.
epson 9600
nein14
here's one,got it on German Ebay
nein14
with new aluminum trim rings
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.