Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bursch exhaust
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Scott H
I have a '72 that's been parked since back around '85. I'm using this car as a learning tool to learn my way around a 914.
The PO gave up on the car while in the middle of converting it to carbs and just let the car sit and rot away. He had bought a Bursch exhaust at the time that he said he thought was the wrong one and he never got around to exchanging it for the correct one. This exhaust has been sitting inside the car all that time and was never even bolted onto the car.

The exhaust has a sticker on it that says "914 73-74" and I see that Pelican Parts sells '70-'72 and '73-'74 Bursch exhausts so it looks like it is indeed the latter and the wrong one for a '72 (I'm sharp today biggrin.gif ). Pelican only shows a picture of one exhaust.

My question is: what's the difference between the two? If I hold this exhaust up to the ends of the heat exhangers it appears that it will bolt up. The rear valence is not on the car, so it looks to me like the tip of the exhaust would hit the valence if it were in place.
Is that the only difference between the two?

If it helps, here are some pictures of the one I have:
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v134/sdc...rsch%20exhaust/

Thanks for any help.

**edit: I didn't notice the other Bursch topic until after I posted mine. If a moderator wants to move my post over there, that's fine by me.
Bartlett 914
The exhaust is different for 75 + 76. It has a triangle flange. There is a difference between 1.7 / 1.8 and the 2.0. The spacing and the pipe daimeters are different. Looks like you are O.K.. You will need new gaskets. Get the correct one for year and motor size.
jd74914
I could be wrong looks like a 1.7/1.8 unit to me. I'd just try bothing it up and seeing what happens. If it fits, then its good. Don't worry about how its labeled. The only differences between early style ('70 to '74) systems in relation to engine dispacement (ie: 2.0's are different that 1.7/8's) but you would know. The flanges are the same but i believe the muffler won't fit on ifs its not the right model.

Again, try it and see.

Edit: I was beaten.
So.Cal.914
The 2.0 H/E's had straight pipes all the way back and the 1.7-1.8 had a up sweep

towards the back of the car. Point is the 2.0 muffler will not fit on 1.7-1.8 H/E's

and visa versa. Go ahead and try it.
TravisNeff
the 70-72 obviously is for a 1.7 - with a porthole valence, so the exhaust tip is routed down a bit more and a bit more to the middle of the car. If it is a 73-74 (1.7) the exhaust tip is moved more to the drivers side and up for the shorter notched valence. If it was a 73-74 with a 2.0 the flanges that mate up to the heat exchangers will be lower, but the exhaust tip will be the same as the 73-74 1.7.
Pat Garvey
So long as you don't have the porthole valence, it'll fit just fine with proper gaskets.

Be forewarned - it's loud!
Scott H
Thanks for the info, guys. I really appreciate it.

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Nov 1 2006, 06:19 PM) *
Be forewarned - it's loud!

Thanks for the warning.
Unfortunately, I won’t have to worry about that since the engine is seized. sad.gif

From all the years of sitting, this car is in very sad shape. It’s a complete car (less the fuel injection parts) but sitting for 20 years in the brutal North Carolina/east coast humidity under several heavy canvas car covers has turned this car into mostly a huge pile of rust, mold and mildew. It would take a ton of work to bring this one back.

Here are a few pictures of the condition of the car:
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v134/sdcvw/914/

Some rust pictures here:
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v134/sdc...w%20914%20pics/

It’s beyond my skill level to repair all the rust and beyond my budget to pay someone else to do it. So, as I said in my earlier post, I’m using this car to learn my way around a 914. I’m hoping to find a running driver/daily beater that’s reasonably priced.

I’ll probably be parting out this ’72 to help partially fund buying a running car. I’ve already learned a lot and am probably going to be asking a few questions like this one so that I’ll know a little more about the parts when I start trying to sell them.

Thanks again.

So.Cal.914
I'll take the Aux. heater fan when you pull it out, PM me and Let me know. smile.gif
rhodyguy
the he flange bolt hole distance (side to side) of the early 1.7/1.8 vs the early 2.0, are longer on the 1.7/1.8. i posted pictures of all 3 exhaust hangers and the dimensions some time ago.

k
DerekKim
I am about to purchase the bursch muffler from Scott and was wondering if this will fit a 73 1.7. I do have the rear valance cut out.
rhodyguy
measure the distance inbetween the 2 muffler bolt slots on your exhaust hangar and have scott measure the distance inbetween the 2 inner, lower, bolt holes on the flanges of the muffler.

k
Scott H
Thanks, guys. thumb3d.gif
DerekKim
He's got 21 9/16th's and I have roughly 21 1/2ish. Is it that minor of a difference from pre 73 to 73+ or is it a lot more than that?
Scott H
1/16" difference shouldn't matter, so we should be good to go.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.