Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Have you ever seen?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Chogokin
Here is a strange one for all you old salts. blink.gif Has anyone either seen, done or heard of a conversion that would give the option of removing the roll bar/ sails with clips like the targa? I have heard of it before but never seen it. It was supposed to be able to remove the targa like normal or remove the targa and sail section for a different look I guess. confused24.gif I'd be interested to see what that looks like if anyone has seen it. It has been years since I heard of the idea and am not sure if anyone ever actually did it. idea.gif
GWN7
There is a guy who posted pics of his car that has this done to it (removable targa bar).....haven't heard from him in awhile...he was in the PNW
rick 918-S
Not a factory option. And the 914 doesn't look balanced without a targa bar IMHO. blink.gif
Chogokin
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Nov 1 2006, 04:42 PM) *

Not a factory option.

Hence the word "Conversion" I don't know how good it would look, just kinda curious to see how it turned out.
Pat Garvey
Haven't seen that one yet!

Have seen a couple of "convertibles" that were downright stupid looking (IMO) & one of them was done with significant bracing in an attempt to maintain chassis rigidity. May, or may not have worked, but really looked ugly with it's handmade top up.
TravisNeff
Wasn't that steve Zuccaro from CA that did that to his blue teener?
Chogokin
I don't know what it would look like, short of going to photo deluxe and going nuts with the eraser lol biggrin.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Chogokin @ Nov 1 2006, 02:36 PM) *

removing the roll bar/ sails with clips like the targa

yes, it has been done. there have been at least two threads here over the years with cars & pictures ...

IMHO, just what i need, take the *ONLY* sturdy part that has the potential to save my life in a collision or rollover and cut that off and reattach it with a few flimsy clips ... great idea! (not)
wacko.gif Andy
Chogokin
LOL I kinda agree with that, probably not the smartest thing one could do to their teener, but I think it was all about the look not the performance.. confused24.gif
carr914
Scanned out of April 1986 VW & PORSCHE magazine. One of the few places for ideas and parts before the internet for you youngsters info.

T.C.
Chogokin
WHOA! that does give her a completely different look, not sure really how to feel about that one, kind of steals the teeners character away... not to hard to look at though..
carr914
Glad I could be of service. Hey this is my 600th post, does that get me into the Post Whore non-club?

T.C.
Andyrew
You've been around since how long?

Nope... smile.gif

Its a "different" look... First glance is.. Hey, that looks cool!!!

carr914
How have you been Andyrew? Looks like I've got alot of catching up to do after seeing your Post count. Hope all is well.
T.C.
Andyrew
Im doing pretty good.. been busy with work.. done a little to the car, got a bike.. bla bla bla..

Im going to get serious on the 914 when winter break comes up (im in school too...)

Im a "post whore"... but I only really make a couple posts a day.. It really adds up when your on the site an hour a day and make 2 posts for almost 4 years..
Mueller
QUOTE(Chogokin @ Nov 1 2006, 03:40 PM) *

LOL I kinda agree with that, probably not the smartest thing one could do to their teener, but I think it was all about the look not the performance.. confused24.gif

yes, you are very confused smile.gif

he mentioned SAFTEY, not performance....cutting the roof off has nothing to do with performance.....

Chogokin
QUOTE(Mueller @ Nov 1 2006, 07:44 PM) *

QUOTE(Chogokin @ Nov 1 2006, 03:40 PM) *

yes, you are very confused smile.gif

he mentioned SAFTEY, not performance....cutting the roof off has nothing to do with performance.....

I rate safety UNDER the performance tab, as in "it performed well in safety tests" But HEY if you want to get picky then rock on smiley_notworthy.gif
JMPVW73
If you want something that looks like that go buy a Miata. LOL
type47fan
Old salt, indeed! Well, whippersnapper, check the conversion giant Reddawg Racing at www.reddawgracing.com

QUOTE(Chogokin @ Nov 1 2006, 02:36 PM) *

Here is a strange one for all you old salts. blink.gif Has anyone either seen, done or heard of a conversion that would give the option of removing the roll bar/ sails with clips like the targa? I have heard of it before but never seen it. It was supposed to be able to remove the targa like normal or remove the targa and sail section for a different look I guess. confused24.gif I'd be interested to see what that looks like if anyone has seen it. It has been years since I heard of the idea and am not sure if anyone ever actually did it. idea.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.