Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Calling all cars... Nor Cal.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Malmz
My buddy Dean just called and he is having some troubles in the Oakland area in his 914. It now -sounds- like a cable wrap problem, but if it is, it's been that way for over a year and just acting up.

His throttle return spring also popped, so his car was over reving.

He has never had to deal with the cables before, so if somebody is close and could help him....

I did give him Mueller's and Brad's numbers. I know Brad is way up north, but if he is still stuck tomorrow he might be able to drive it up to you (on cruise control...).

If anybody can help him, his cell is 1-626-482-0234. If you see him, you will be rewarding seeing one of the nicest 1.7s you have ever seen with a sweeet Caddy pearl white paint job.

Thanks,
sm
Mueller
Dean called me, I'm stuck at work in Fremont with no "real" tools....there must be an accident on 580 where he is at due to the traffic (and the ambulance that went past him while on the phone with me)

He was going to pull over and grab a beer and wait out the traffic for a few hours or so.....

If able, he's going to drive it out to Antioch on Sat and I'll fix it for him.

Didn't he used to have a green 914? or am I thinking of someone else I meet down there when you still had the Nissan 914/6
Malmz
Thanks once again Mike.

Nope, not green. His car used to be charcoal. We did a 5 lug conversion and he had the total color change done. They took out every little nick and ding on the car, enjoy it if you see it. He paid more for the paint job then his original purchase of the car.

I've know Dean for close to 30 years... Talk him into a plane ride sometime!

Thanks again,
sm
Brad Roberts
Let me know if I can help.

I'm betting his pedal bushings went away.. or his throttle arm bent. The cables dont "just" wrap themselves around the clutch cable.

B
Malmz
Brad,

Didn't you used to keep one rebuilt pedal cluster in waiting in the wings?

Yea, my thought too about the cables. He said the Rs would go up whenever he pushed the clutch in though. I've never personally experienced pedal bushing failure so I don't know how that acts.

He did say he had the thing floored for a very long time going up the 5 coming from So. Cal...

sm
Mueller
Dean said he'd call me in the morning.....I'm waiting...

I should have told him my mornings start at 6 or earlier, even on the weekends smile.gif

Rebuilt pedal cluster?, talk about luck, I have one sitting in a box............... smash.gif

Hey B, did you like the drawing?????
Brad Roberts
Drawing was GREAT. Cant wait to move onto new projects.

B
Malmz
Anything ever happen? Maybe he figured something out himself. Dunno...

Dean is definitely not a 6am-type guy, that I know.

sm
Mueller
Dean showed up in his beautiful pearl white 914 and so did Mike Rose in his nice red 2.0...

The pedal cluster was in good shape, I think the throttle cable had slack in it causing it to get tangled up in the clutch cable
(I think Dean said his return spring came off once)

I'm VERY glad Dean took out the pedal cluster, he was just a few stops away from total brake failure !!!!

The Master Cylinder was leaking fluid INTO the car when pedal was released.
The resivour was darn near empty !!!
(no parking brake for backup stopping sad.gif )

Luckly for Dean, I had an extra 19m/c that only had a few thousand miles on it, we put it in, bled the brakes and it's like new smile.gif

Dean did "most" of work, i let him struggle with the m/c install for a while until I was nice and gave him the tricks of the trade to get it installed quickly smash.gif
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Malmz @ Nov 7 2003, 11:20 PM)
I've know Dean for close to 30 years... Talk him into a plane ride sometime!

i've gotta ask - is this Dean Gibson we're talking about ?
i've known him since my SoCal days, V-tail Bonanza driver.
had some kinda Toyota then. been a few years...

if it's not, nevermind ...
Mueller
Hey Rich,

Nope different Dean, Dean Sibley of Sibley Flying Services to be exact.........
Malmz
Very cool. Thanks a billion Mike. Hope you wrung is pockets out for loose change! wink.gif

If not, talk him into taking you up in one of his planes (hell, free lesson...)

BTW, I told him to replace that M/C when we did the 5 lug conversion and brakes... It wasn't leaking then, but the throw was always too long.

sm
Mueller
no problem at all.....

I almost forgot....

drivers side ball-joint is bad, "something" is broken down there, I personally wouldn't drive the car until fixed, but he insisted on it....please get on his ass to fix it ASAP
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.