Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Electronic Tachometer that:
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Randal
Is it AutoMeter that makes a 4.5in electronic tach that fits into the middle hole in the plastic housing?

I'm looking for one that also has or supports a remote shift light.

A part number would be great or web site reference would be great.

New motors are expensive, so want to be sure I'm paying attention.

Thanks.
Brad Roberts
What good is tach going to do? Seriously?

We race by feel/sound.

I would figure out a way to hook up a pencil style shift light and forget the tach!

I wont be running one in the "light" 914.

Oh.. it is AutoMeter.

B
nebreitling
hey randal, i pm'd this response, but thought i'd add it here to for others. btw, the stock hole is 5", i'm pretty sure....

Didn't you have an AutoMeter Tach in your car with a remote light?

yup. LOVED it -- great bang for the buck. if there's one thing that distracts/annoys me, it's tach bounce. having a steady meter let me know at a quick glance exactly where the motor was -- although I rarely looked down since I had the shift light (something i consider mandatory in a competition car). i'd set the light at 5900 rpm, and let the light blaze for a little bit if necessary. I could tell if I was doing better or worse on a given lap based on where the light went on. great tool.

I ran the ATM-3905 (part #). it's an 8k rpm model. the shift light can come off the gauge and be relocated. the tach fits in the stock location. install took about 15 minutes. if you need more rpm range, they make a 10k and 12k model as well. since i never reved my engine past 6400, i wanted as much 'resolution' as possible.

nebreitling
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Nov 1 2006, 04:30 PM) *

We race by feel/sound.

I would figure out a way to hook up a pencil style shift light and forget the tach!

Oh.. it is AutoMeter.

B

i don't disagree -- though I found the tach useful for doing things like setting idle, timing, etc. i also used it to gauge my relative speed, since i had removed the speedometer.
Randal
QUOTE(nebreitling @ Nov 1 2006, 05:59 PM) *

QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Nov 1 2006, 04:30 PM) *

We race by feel/sound.

Oh.. it is AutoMeter.

B

i don't disagree -- though I found the tach useful for doing things like setting idle, timing, etc. i also used it to gauge my relative speed, since i had removed the speedometer.

That is cool. Thanks.
john rogers
The large Autometer tachs are stepped in the back so they will fit in the standard Porsche tach opening. The rubber seal is a tad tight but it will fit.
Randal
QUOTE(john rogers @ Nov 1 2006, 06:09 PM) *

The large Autometer tachs are stepped in the back so they will fit in the standard Porsche tach opening. The rubber seal is a tad tight but it will fit.

Thanks John.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.