Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Brushing up on my German...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
black73
It just dawned on me that I don't know the the proper pronunciation for some of the words that I often see here. Considering how shocked I was when I first found out it's a Porschuhh instead of Porsh happy11.gif , I am wondering how far off I am on my imagined pronunciations.

So how do you say Fuch, Mahle, Boge(is that German?), ATE, Bremsflussigheit... I know there are more, but I can't think of them now.
type47
... wasserstoffatom.... elbogen.... scheisskopf.....
Chogokin
QUOTE(type47 @ Nov 1 2006, 07:35 PM) *

... wasserstoffatom.... elbogen.... scheisskopf.....

Now now... play nice...I'm sure his kopf not completely made of sheise av-943.gif
bd1308
laugh.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(black73 @ Nov 1 2006, 05:32 PM) *

It just dawned on me that I don't know the the proper pronunciation for some of the words that I often see here. Considering how shocked I was when I first found out it's a Porschuhh instead of Porsh happy11.gif , I am wondering how far off I am on my imagined pronunciations.

So how do you say Fuch, Mahle, Boge(is that German?), ATE, Bremsflussigheit... I know there are more, but I can't think of them now.

first, you gotta learn how to speeel them right ... wink.gif

Porsche = porschuh
Fuchs = fooks
Mahle = mahluh
Boge = boguh
Bilstein = beelschtine (my personal pet-peeve, no, it's not bilsteen, you idiot! rolleyes.gif )
Bremsflüssigkeit = to tough to do in writing, i can record you a short mp3 if you want ...

piratenanner.gif Andy
black73
Thanks, Andy. I agree spelling is important... it's just not easy biggrin.gif

and thanks for not calling me an idiot... blink.gif

I don't really need to know how to say bresflussigkeit?, I just threw that in beerchug.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 1 2006, 10:59 PM) *

QUOTE(black73 @ Nov 1 2006, 05:32 PM) *

first, you gotta learn how to speeel them right ... wink.gif

Porsche = porschuh
Fuchs = fooks
Mahle = mahluh
Boge = boguh
Bilstein = beelschtine (my personal pet-peeve, no, it's not bilsteen, you idiot! rolleyes.gif )
Bremsflüssigkeit = to tough to do in writing, i can record you a short mp3 if you want ...

piratenanner.gif Andy

Andy!

Pet Peeves! I know this isn't 914 stuff....but.

What is the diff between a "bimmer" & a "beemer". I know it' off topic, but it bugs me.

MY understanding for year is that a "bimmer" was a car & a "beemer" was a bike.

Like I said, It bugs me & I don't even particularly care for BMW people - like the cars, though.

I question YOU because, like me, you ARE opinionated 7 not afraid to share it!
SirAndy
QUOTE(black73 @ Nov 1 2006, 06:19 PM) *

and thanks for not calling me an idiot... blink.gif

the "idiot" comment was actually directed towards brad ... biggrin.gif

one day he'll learn to pronounce it right (at least around me) ...
slap.gif Andy
LowGT
3 years of German in High School, and the most I remember is...

Du bist eine billige schlampe.

and

Wo ist die toilette?

It suprising how much I can still understand if I read it. But speaking, listening, and trying to form written sentences myself are all gone now.
gopack
Don't forget my favorite german word:
beer.gif Reinheitsgebot beer.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Nov 1 2006, 06:38 PM) *

What is the diff between a "bimmer" & a "beemer". I know it' off topic, but it bugs me.
MY understanding for year is that a "bimmer" was a car & a "beemer" was a bike.
Like I said, It bugs me & I don't even particularly care for BMW people - like the cars, though.
I question YOU because, like me, you ARE opinionated 7 not afraid to share it!

sorry pat, can't help you with those. i owned two bmw's in the past (2002, 520), but both "bimmer" and "beemer" are american words and not used in germany.

so, i don't know anything about them other than that people "over here" use them ...
wink.gif Andy
SirAndy
QUOTE(LowGT @ Nov 2 2006, 12:39 AM) *

haha, that'll make you "friends" real quick ....
av-943.gif Andy
DEC
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Nov 2 2006, 09:26 AM) *

QUOTE(LowGT @ Nov 2 2006, 12:39 AM) *

haha, that'll make you "friends" real quick ....
av-943.gif Andy

agree.gif sheeplove.gif
dralf
Fellows, don’t forget that when writing German, all nouns are capitalized. I lost many points in my classes in Luxembourg because of that. wink.gif
Gustl
QUOTE(gopack @ Nov 2 2006, 01:59 PM) *

Don't forget my favorite german word:
beer.gif Reinheitsgebot beer.gif

that's one of the most importand words beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.