Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hagerty Insurance
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
drive-ability
I have my V8 car insured by Hagerty insurance any thoughts about the company, handling claims etc ?
drew365
I've had cars insured through Haggarty for 20 years. I've never had a problem with them or any complaints, but then I've never had a claim either. FYI, our very own Howard is an insurance broker in Westlake.
After I posted the above I was thinking, what would they say if I turned in this little fender bender as a claim?

Mountain914
Never had a claim with them.
Just thought I'd say I like the "agreed value", and unlike Grundy's, they don't mind if you take it for a sunday drive, or a show or an event. Grundy's was too strict (basically, it seemed like you had to keep it in your garage !).
Krieger
I have had Hagerty for 6 years and have never made a claim Knock on wood). The only thing I can say is that over the years I think 2xs I have upped the agreed value over the tele. No q's asked.
ottox914
Currently have haggerty, but may be shopping, as in my state, WI, there is new language to the policy, which may be included/added to all renewals, which specifically excludes any physical damage or liability coverage for any "event" other than a car show. This includes any instructional track time, auto cross, time trials, track touring, as well as other car competitions, such as "bouncing" or audio contests.

Not that I would even think of turning in a claim if while auto crossing I ended up on my roof, but... I need to be asking some more quesitons, doing some research.
drew365
QUOTE(ottox914 @ Nov 1 2006, 07:23 PM) *

Currently have haggerty, but may be shopping, as in my state, WI, there is new language to the policy, which may be included/added to all renewals, which specifically excludes any physical damage or liability coverage for any "event" other than a car show. This includes any instructional track time, auto cross, time trials, track touring, as well as other car competitions, such as "bouncing" or audio contests.

Not that I would even think of turning in a claim if while auto crossing I ended up on my roof, but... I need to be asking some more quesitons, doing some research.

You won't find any insurance that covers you for any AX or track event. All classic car insurance requires you to have another vehicle as a daily driver and has limitations on how you are supposed to use the classic. I only keep my 914 insured so I can drive it to repair shops without pulling the trailer around in L.A. traffic. I'm sure if they saw what my car looks like now I'd get dropped in a heart beat.
KELTY360
I had a claim and they were excellent. Followed up to make sure everything got handled properly. It was as painless as that kind of thing can be.
GeorgeRud
Have never heard anything but good about them. They are quite aware of the Autox/track car and don't really want to cover that it seems.

Leland West Insurance Brokers (800-237-4722) have been advertising in PCA's Panorama magazine forever, so I think they would also be a source.

I have seen ads for on track insurance, but believe that it would be quite $$$.
turboman808
I kinda get confused about Hagertys stand on racing. I kinda get the impression that they know there customers race and in a way encourage people who race to sign up with them. At the same time I feel I should not let them know I autox and hopefully road race my 914.

Oh by the way they sent me a survey today. Alot of the questions had to do with racing. But I am happy to see they do insure classic car replicas.
drive-ability
My insurance policy is on its way via mail. I am however covered now. I just needed some peace of mind. Are you guys saying if I drive to church on Sunday and the car is stolen its not covered? I have a 2,500 mile a year deal and a 20K agreed value. flag.gif
turboman808
Hmmm I think it's covered as far as driving goes. So no reason you can't drive it to church. If it gets stolen in the parking lot though I have to wonder. Higly doubt it would get stolen though.
drew365
QUOTE(drive-ability @ Nov 1 2006, 08:42 PM) *

My insurance policy is on its way via mail. I am however covered now. I just needed some peace of mind. Are you guys saying if I drive to church on Sunday and the car is stolen its not covered? I have a 2,500 mile a year deal and a 20K agreed value. flag.gif

To be safe I would make sure any claim stated that the car was on it's way to or from a repair shop or car show. Stopping by a church on the way to a show ought to be acceptable I would hope.
drive-ability
QUOTE(drew365 @ Nov 1 2006, 10:39 PM) *

QUOTE(drive-ability @ Nov 1 2006, 08:42 PM) *

To be safe I would make sure any claim stated that the car was on it's way to or from a repair shop or car show. Stopping by a church on the way to a show ought to be acceptable I would hope.

Yes,
that would be my thought as well beerchug.gif
jd74914
You should be fine. My Dad's Hagerty policy only excludes accidents and such while running on the track. It even covers if the car gets broken into in the parking lot at the track. Hopefully that doesn't change.
DBCooper
Just a heads-up. When I applied to Haggerty to insure a 58 VW I told them I had drag raced it once (once) at the local VW club's track day. They declined to cover it because of that, even though I assured them that had been just one isolated irrational moment of pure foolishness and promised to never ever do it again. It had a big motor, stripped interior, fiberglass fenders and decklid, so their skepticism may have been warranted, but it still annoyed me. For the later '66 (just sold) I told them that in spite of those Fuchs wheels, big carburetors and exhaust, it was just a Sunday driver. They insured it without question.
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(jd74914 @ Nov 1 2006, 10:01 PM) *

You should be fine. My Dad's Hagerty policy only excludes accidents and such while running on the track. It even covers if the car gets broken into in the parking lot at the track. Hopefully that doesn't change.

My policy is the same, with a 3500 mile a year limit which is fine with me. My car is not a track car, but I do AX it every chance I get.

I have a agreed value policy of $9500.
Matt Meyer
I talked with a Hagerty agent and he described it like this: "Hagerty insures classic cars. They expect cars insured with them are treated like classics."

And maybe the agent was just a good salesman but I got the impression Hagerty was truely interested in the classic car hobby. He explained the limitations of the Hagerty policy. It is different than a standard auto policy. He explained risks associated with my current policy on the 914. I don't have Hagerty now for two reasons. 1) My car isn't worth the minimum they will insure. 2) I loose coverage (universal coverage) with my current carrier if I dont insure all my cars with them.

I can not imagine they will cover track or even auto-x events. I was driving my car to work every other Friday. The agent said that was too often for a Hagerty policy. (I could drive it for pleasure every Saturday, that would have been fine) The policy has words something like you are covered driving to shows, service and for other persons pleasure not for hire. The impression I got was if I drove the car to work once/twice a year to show it to a coworker, that would be OK. Driving it to work for transportation just once was not.
Dad Roberts
I've had Hagerty on my V8 powered VW for the last 3 years. I already happened to have a very nice appraisal done on the car (with pics) and sent it to them. We agreed on $20,000 policy. I also have them on my custom Caddy. Within 6 months of getting it on my VW I had a claim for a serious door ding (stoopid biatch! dinged it hard enuff to chip the paint) while I was out to dinner in another town. I was in the San Diego area for a Goodguys event. I called them on Monday and they took my claim (recorded the conversation too) and asked me to send them pics and an estimate. There was some dispute with the stooopid biatch about it being her fault.....Hagerty said not to worry, I was covered with them and they wanted to get my car repaired as soon as possible. On Wed. I sent them pics and the estimate. On Fri. morning they contacted me and had already spoken with my chosen shop. They were calling to verify that I wanted the work done there, and then to inform me that the check would be sent out that day, made out to me and the shop. Damage estimate was for around $800. It was all the most pleasant experience with an insurance company I have ever had. Total no-brainer. I would recommend them HIGHLY............Dad driving.gif
anthony
The interesting thing is that when you actually get your contract there is zero language in it regarding driving restrictions. I have a feeling that they couldn't deny a claim because you drove your classic to work one day but they could cancel your policy afterwards if they thought you were abusing the terms of the policy.
tdgray
QUOTE(anthony @ Nov 2 2006, 11:29 AM) *

The interesting thing is that when you actually get your contract there is zero language in it regarding driving restrictions. I have a feeling that they couldn't deny a claim because you drove your classic to work one day but they could cancel your policy afterwards if they thought you were abusing the terms of the policy.

You are correct about the absence of language... I was wondering that also.

But... on my application I clearly wrote that I drive my car to work occasionally. They never questioned it.

anthony
I think they are just trying to screen out cars that aren't in collector condition and cars that are used daily. They want to insure garage queens that are treated nicely and I don't think they really mind if you drive it to work once a month as long as you have appropriate parking for a nice car. I don't drive my Porsches to work because we have crappy, unsafe on street parking. I think most owners of garage queen classic cars use their best judgement and don't put their cars in unsafe situations. I think Hagerty just wants to make sure they are on the same page with the owners.
Robert21
dry.gif I will pay the extra money , and drive my car when and where i want . then if i have a claim i don,t have to lie. just another way to look at it .

Robert21
jhadler
QUOTE(drew365 @ Nov 1 2006, 07:51 PM) *

You won't find any insurance that covers you for any AX or track event.

I beg to differ. State Farm, and I have it in writting. AX, not the track. Pretty much anything at the track is my own dime.

All classic car insurance requires you to have another vehicle as a daily driver and has limitations on how you are supposed to use the classic. I only keep my 914 insured so I can drive it to repair shops without pulling the trailer around in L.A. traffic. I'm sure if they saw what my car looks like now I'd get dropped in a heart beat.

I have collector car insurance from State Farm, and seemed to be the best option when I was looking. The rest of the "fleet" (three Volvo's) is also insured under State Farm, and the 914 is NOT a daily driver.

-Josh2
jd74914
I don't think the majority were promoting lying. I'm pretty sure most people here don't drive their cars over the 3500mile yearly limit that Hagery imposes. As for lying about claims, it is my understanding (and also Garold's) that there are no stipulations to claim service. The only time it is legitamately denied is while on track. On the track your insurance is suspended (as it should be).

Thats just MHO, take it as you like smile.gif
Mountain914
I have never seen state farm do an "agreed value" - I have mine insured for 35,000 from hagerty - state farm would probably give me no more than 5,000 (if I fought them) should my 914 be totalled. State farm has collectors insurance (not agreed value), sure, and my other cars are insured with them, but there is no way I would insure an overvalued, overbuilt, special car with them.
If anyone got "agreed value" from State Farm, speak up - mine wouldn't touch it and I've been with State Farm for 25 years.
drive-ability
I think for most daily drivers conventional insurance is perfect, however if you have a car thats valued to the insurance carrier on paper about 1/4 of its replacement value you have to go this way. My transmission/axles and linkages alone would cost more than the carrier would give me for a total loss. I think the transmission upgrade is around 8k alone. I didn't pay that but to build another car it would cost allot. I just wanted something to cover me if the car gets stolen or totaled. beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.