Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: cold start valve
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
shaggy
im putting together a 2.0 D-jet

i currently dont have a cold start valve.

i like in Arizona.

it doent get much colder than 50* in the winter out here.

i do not have a thermostat flap system or heat either.

so is it really necessary?

-jim
mihai914
You can go by without a CSV since it only works for a very short period of time in cold conditions. You'll have to plug the port though.

I would be more worried about the missing flaps, those are a absolute must for proper engine, especially head cooling. Thermostats are NLA but the flaps need to be there in open position all the time.
shaggy
my flaps are gone entirely on this engine and on my 1.7 they are bolted to the open position with no thermostat connected.

-jim
dmenche914
Cold start valve is not needed in your climate. it is only in effect in near freezing temps.

You absolutly need your flaps. without the flaps installed (even if the thermostat bellows is busted, and flaps always in the 'hot" postion). The flaps, when the hot position serve to direct the air correctly to the oil cooler/heads/ cylinders. No flaps, and you risk running too hot. This is even more important in hot Arizona.

having the thermostat bellows that move the flaps is a very good idea, becuaue it aids quick warm up, which means reduced engine wear. However with no flaps at all, your air flow over the heads is all wrong. Note when the bellows fails, the flaps automatically go into the hot run position, so failure will not over heat the engine.
With them flaps missing you a missing an important part of the cooling system. Buy, Beg, Borrow, or steal some flaps the shaft, springs, and retaining clips. YOU MUST HAVE TEHM INSTALLED. if you can't find them off a 914, get them from a Type IV VW Bus.

This is a common mistake. your engine can be damaged without them. once you get them, and take off the sheet metal, you will see how they are designed to direct a certain amount of air in thru the oil cooler, and and the rest of the air on the heads/cylinders. If they is missing, the air on the 3/4 bank is dumped out the oil cooler, and little will reach the head, cylinders on that side.

remember the factory made the flaps fail safe, when the thermostate bellows or cable fails, the springs force the flaps into the hot run position. Best for engine life to get proper even, and rapid warm up.

if they is missing, your cooling system is very compromised. I cannot over emphazise this. you will over cool your oil, and cook you heads on 3/4 bank!!! Air will not be directed where it needs to go. The flaps even without an operable warm up system are critical.
Enjoy rapid engine wear?, then forget the warm up system, but for goodness sake, install them flaps, you can always add the bellows and cable later if you can't find them two components now. They are easy to install without cooling tin dissassembly. The flaps however require removal of the top engine tin (and the intake manifolds, so install them now, not later, and don't run the engine at all without them.

INSTALL YOUR FLAPS!!!

Good Luck
Blargh
Damn, I should've ditched my cold start valve... I never liked it anyway... Do you need one in California? It doesn't get that cold... But then again... It doesn't get that warm where I am either
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.