Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: sail panel vinyl
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
shaggy
im redoing my sail panels tomorrow prolly and i have the old stuff removed and most of the trim off.

how do i make it stick?
3m trim adheasive?

and

for the curved piece of trip in the back edge of the sail panels how do i remove it?

its something inside/under the body.

is it a 10m nut?

thanks
-jim
boxstr
Yes 3M adhesive is perfect. Spray on and let sit for a few minutes so that it becomes tacky. Use a new razor blade and trim once glued down.

The trim pieces are very soft and can easily bend. Slide them off of the holders, unless you are able to get the 10 mm nut off and remove them.
There was an article written for Excellence mag. You can do a search and you might find it, here on the club site.
CCL
dmenche914
contact cement
shaggy
perfect!

so it is a m10 in there huh?

well ill get it out smile.gif

thanks
-jim
mihai914
I think the nut for the trim is 8 mm, the parts catalog says it's M5 which would match the 8 mm nut. M10 is actually a 17 mm nut I believe.
shaggy
i believe a m5 is a 10mm

either way ill be able to tell you tomorrow

thanks for all the help
-jim
John
I used glue.

3M spray adhesive designed for the purpose. Make sure you follow the directions and allow it to dry before bonding. I believe another company makes a similar product that also works well (WERTH?).

I believe that the "t" bolt inside the fender that holds the trim on is M5 (takes a 8mm socket).

BTW, typically:
M5 uses a 8mm wrench,
M6 uses a 10mm wrench,
M7 uses an 11 mm wrench,
M8 uses 13mm wrench
IronHillRestorations
Yes, it will take a M8 hex socket to take off the rear trim clip.

You will also have to remove the vertical window seal and the channel that holds it. After you remove the rubber, take a scribe and lightly scratch index marks at the screws, so you install it back in the same location.

Be sure to remove all old adhesive with Prepsol, Klix, or whatever solvent you've got that will melt the adhesive but not the paint.

If you just spray adhesive over old adhesive, you will have trouble. It will look OK and stick, for a while, and then it will start lifting and look bad.

Some guys do the whole piece in one shot, but I tape the vinyl in place and do half at a time (bottom then top), so it's properly positioned. Once the glue touches the glue you can't move it.
jasons
QUOTE(shaggy @ Nov 1 2006, 09:57 PM) *

how do i make it stick?
3m trim adheasive?

-jim

Just so you're clear.... Not the 3M Gorilla snot in a tube. Thats what I call "trim adhesive". Use the 3M 90 spray adhesive.

As said above....
The last time I did it... I taped it where I wanted it to be, then sprayed say the bottom 3rd, pulled the tape and sprayed the rest. You should use something to shield the rest of the car from the spray.

This way it ends up where you want it the first time. If you spray the whole thing and lay it up there, you may only get one chance. The kit I used didn't have much room for error.
dmenche914
also do not trim the vinyl overly close. i have found the vinyl tends to shrink over time, and pull back from under the lower trim. leave as much excess as possible under the trim pieces. the vinyl should extend past the bottom trim holes. instal the bottom chrome trim OVER the vinyl, pucnh/cut thru the vinyl to expose the trim mounting holes.

also be sure all bare metal, / rust is properly treated, and sealed before installing he vinyl
Porsche Rescue
Boxstr did not reveal the special Camp 914 "Secret of Rear Sail Panel Trim Removal" that he taught me around the campfire oh so long ago.

Most of the time you don't need to remove the trim clip nut in the wheel well at all. Try this:

Remove the single screw at the top of the trim piece. Then press down on the bottom rear end of the trim with the heel of your hand so as to slide the piece forward and up. It takes a firm, steady "push", and caution to avoid bending it,but you can slide the trim off the "T" clip. If the piece has never been removed you will find a spot of "dum dum" putty which sticks it to the clip. It takes the firm pressure forward to un-stick the trim from the clip. Install is the reverse, using putty to keep it from rattling around.

And by all means use the 3M SUPER Trim Adhesive 08090. Follow directions on the can and pay attention to the earlier advice on trimming.
Eric_Shea
I wrote an article on the subject that's in the 10/05 issue of Excellence (thanks Pete) and there's a version in the Classics section here...

Classic's Thread on the Subject

Eric
thesey914
Eric I managed to get a copy of your article whilst on holiday. Great write up but I don't like the idea of trimming the vinyl and the blade going into my new paint. Can't it be trimmed to size before bonding?
Eric_Shea
Best advice would be not to have the blade go through the new paint. I started my working career as a professional wallcovering installer in the mid-70's. That gave me a tremendous amount of experience when doing this job. It can be done, we used this process with paper while double cutting a corner. It takes a steady hand and a very fresh blade. I think I went through 10-12 straight edge blades when I did mine. A fresh blade is key.

Can't it be trimmed to size before bonding?

I would say that would be darned near impossible, especially with the adhesive at hand. Once the pieces are bonded you literally have no place to go. The vinyl can flex so much that, what may look to be a "cut to fit" piece could end up wildly off at the other end.

One "idea" that "might" work would be to mark off the "bottom" line on the car. Use tape to trial fit the vinyl along that edge (blue tape the entire bottom edge of the vinyl to the car.) Mount the trim and mark on the tape the lower edge of the trim. Remove the trim. Remove the vinyl keeping the tape and the mark on it. Cut the vinyl on a cutting board. Flip over and spray on the adhesive. Spray the car. Starting with the bottom edge, work your way across then up.

It would be a tremendous amount of work... akin to making a worm skin rug. wink.gif

It "could" be done that way but I don't recommend it. Don't fear the blade.
thesey914
Eric do you sell the vinyl pieces, I haven't got any material yet? I think the taping in place and bonding each half one at a time seems to make sense.

Btw the whole phrase is 'It's better to live one hour as a tiger than a lifetime as a worm' -to which Rimmer replies '..who ever heard of a worm skin rug'.
Classic Red Dwarf comedy smile.gif
Eric_Shea
James,

Check with CCLINCAMP914 for your vinyl biggrin.gif

www.camp914.com
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.