Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need rescue, Western MA
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
r_towle
My son went out to Amherst, broke the clutch cable.

Anyone nearby, or does anyone know of a place close by that has a clutch cable?
EMAIL me
r_towle@yahoo.com
Rich
DBCooper
I'm not close, but you can get it home without it. Just start the car in first gear and then match RPM's when shifting into other gears without the clutch. Just try to pick a route that doesn't have a lot of stop-and-go traffic.
r_towle
I could, he cant.

Rich
Matt Romanowski
Isn't Ed Morrow out there somewhere. He works at a dealership and probably could help. Don't know how to contact him.
ejm
I'm at work in West Springfield right now.... there's a cable at my house but that's 30 miles east of here...
r_towle
Ed,
drop me an email a r_towle@yahoo.com
give me your phone number.

I am east of you, and will be heading out there after 5 tonight to give him a part..
I would rather not take mine off my perfectly good car.

Rich
ejm
Rich - I'm way south in Mass on the CT border and won't be home till after 7.... and I'm thinking the cable may be with the '76 at my daughters house... will have to check on the way home... 413 244-5176
william harris
Rich: Wish I could help. Same thing happened to me when I first got my car. Drove home in 3rd gear, tough at stop signs and red lights. Good Luck.
r_towle
Well,
I called Mark at Autosport Engineering, these guys are awesome.
He did not have one, but found one and had it delivered to his place by 4pm...
I was at some meetings, called up and he said he had it in hand.
So, I went home got all my greasy clothes on, had dinner and took lots of tools, and flashlights.
Just got home.
Overall, its a 15 min issue, but my son misplaced the clevis for the front of the cable, and that turned into a complete cleaning of his car, both seats came out, etc..
I went inside and got a coat hanger, and other implements of mickey mouse, and came out with a good plan to get it home...

then, after about 1.5 hours...the part jumped back into this universe and we put it all back together.
I hate loosing those special parts.

So, we are home, he has a good cable, all stretched and adjusted.
I did not want him to "learn" how to drive it without a clutch...that could just mean I get to rebuild his tranny...

All safe, and he even loved his tour of the campus..so that was good.

My other son goes there, so he had a place that was warm and dry, and he had food while he waited.

Rich
william harris
Way to go Rich. Drove my car to work today. It is getting kinda cold. Maybe I should get one of those gas heaters??? smile.gif
r_towle
Just think of it like snowmobiling.

Dress for it, and its still a blast, as long as there is no salt.

I drove a speedster the other night, below 40 degrees, no top.
It was really fun, had on one of those rabbit fur hunting hats, a scarf, two fleeces, and a leather jacket and gloves.
I was nice and warm, got loads of looks, considering the temps, and had a great 1.5 hour drive to deliver the car.
Its what makes these cars so unique, they are a piece of history, heat or not.

Rich
william harris
OK, we got a winter project now. Decide if we can make the gas heater system work. Gonna have one delivered any day now. I just don't want to cut the car anywhere. We shall see.
r_towle
QUOTE(william harris @ Nov 3 2006, 11:34 AM) *

OK, we got a winter project now. Decide if we can make the gas heater system work. Gonna have one delivered any day now. I just don't want to cut the car anywhere. We shall see.

I wanna help with that!!!

Besides, you know I love those heater vents up front...my specialty.

Rich
drewvw

glad to see things worked out for you rich. Mark and Len at autosport do seem to be really good guys.

BTW They have a couple junked 914s behind that big barn of theirs...one is a /6.

r_towle
QUOTE(drewvw @ Nov 3 2006, 11:49 AM) *

glad to see things worked out for you rich. Mark and Len at autosport do seem to be really good guys.

BTW They have a couple junked 914s behind that big barn of theirs...one is a /6.

I know
drewvw

well why don't you buy it and rebuild it. You seem to like those big projects....

why don't we do this...you can rebuild that and I will take that 356B off your hands biggrin.gif

can't get on chat right now or i would harass you in private
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.