Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help with Fiberglass Flares
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
9magazine
Everyone,

Got a call last night from the bodyshop where our 1975 914 is. He says he isn't comfortable with his skills to add the fiberglass flares. The car also has the GT glass bumbers front/rear, and the GT side skirts.

I guess am going to grab the car and the parts, but at this point the car is about six months behind schedule. I haven't ever done any time of body work, but would like to follow how this is done for an article for 9magazine.com.

Anyone near Phoenix, AZ who has done this willing to give some advise or lend a hand?

Thanks,

Brian Minson
Editor
9magazine.com
jasons
QUOTE(9magazine @ Nov 2 2006, 10:09 AM) *

Everyone,

Got a call last night from the bodyshop where our 1975 914 is. He says he isn't comfortable with his skills to add the fiberglass flares. The car also has the GT glass bumbers front/rear, and the GT side skirts.

I guess am going to grab the car and the parts, but at this point the car is about six months behind schedule. I haven't ever done any time of body work, but would like to follow how this is done for an article for 9magazine.com.

Anyone near Phoenix, AZ who has done this willing to give some advise or lend a hand?

Thanks,

Brian Minson
Editor
9magazine.com

You could refer them to Patrick Motorsports. I can tell you, I mocked up my flares and rockers and the fit is uhhmm..... Challenging. Honestly I'm a little discouraged. However if your bodyman is scared, I'm not sure what that says.

Where is the stuff now?
andys
Brian,

Here's a thread I posted on how I did mine. It's not gospel, but the result seems quite good. I don't have any photo's after I did all the bondo and blocking.

Hope this helps.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?show...6&hl=flares

Andys
Eric_Shea
If the body shop is not comfortable then you have the wrong shop for sure. Regardless of how it looks going into it, it's fairly straight forward.

I'm not going to delve into the multiple steps but, suffice to say, bare metal plus proper bonding agent, plus glass backing can net some fairly simple and awesome results... even for a novice shade tree mechanic.

I guess I'm saying: "I'm shocked a body shop would say they're not comfortable with the job."

If you'd like, I could do a write up on the proper proceedure and you could get the pictures on your end. I don't think I have any pictures left from my last job...
rick 918-S
PM sent bye1.gif

Just re-read this. Jasons, Maybe I could come down for the week and do both cars?
JoeSharp
You can get info. here for free. You tell me to buy the mag for the artical.
:PERMAGRIN: Joe
jasons
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Nov 2 2006, 07:53 PM) *

PM sent bye1.gif

Just re-read this. Jasons, Maybe I could come down for the week and do both cars?

All I was going to do is rivet the flares too. (this isn't the pink car in case I had you worried) wink.gif I'm kind of on the fence about it now.
9magazine
Sorry everyone it took so long to reply back, been in Las Vegas for the SEMA show this past week/end.

I will check this link out, and have talked to Rick about having him come down and lend a hand on this project.

Brian Minson
9magazine.com

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.