Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tips on parting out a teener
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GaroldShaffer
Ok getting ready to part out the 74. I have placed
two 4x4 post under the car on jack stands to help support the car. The floors & longs are gone, the
center tunnel is there but there is not much.

The motor and trans are already out of the car. I can
open the drivers side door but not the passenger.
The roof is still on which I feel is the main thing that
keeps the car from folding in half.

My thoughts are to remove the seats, backpad, and center console (sp). Then start at the back and remove the sway bar & wheels. I want the back
glass also since it is heated (defroster). Take off
the roof and then cut what is left of the longs & tunnel and haul the back half off to the junk yard.

From that point remove the knee pad, steering wheel & column, gauges, dash top, windshield,
front wheels, bumper and misc switches. Then haul
what remains to the junk yard.

I plan to keep the vintag and door jam plate since this is (was sad.gif ) a LE. So over all how does my plan sound? I never parted out a car before

- Garold (Latest member of LE registry)
GWN7
It depends on your state law. Some require the vin tags to be on the car before you can junk it. Check first or you might have to cut it up in to little pieces. ph34r.gif

Your basic plan sounds good. I stripped the interior first, putting all the little bits in baggies to hold them. Save what you can in the way of metal if there is any left to save, if you think you might use it in the future and have room to save it.

Pull the shifter rod & wireing before you cut the tunnel.

The rest is unbolt/unscrew till there ain't no more.
rhodyguy
i don't like going under the car with the whole thing up in the air on jackstands. on the last one i got everything off i could save what it took to let it still let it roll, one end at a time. pushed it out of the gargage. took the rest, one end at a time. set it on 4 rounds from a tree i took down. the hauler drug it away for $25. but i had to have the title, and the vin tag behind the windshield intact. wa law.

kevin
Eric_Shea
***I need a pair of these***

I'm using them to mount my hood pins to for my GT front lid. I need two of the metal bumpr stop supports "complete" so I can weld them back in the corners that don't have them.

Pretty Please!!

Let me know how much.
GaroldShaffer
The timebers on jackstands is just to help support
the car. Once I get the doors off I know the car will fold in half.
GaroldShaffer
Eric look at these pics. If you think you can use them
they are yours, no charge smile.gif let me know. I think one might be good enough for you but the other???
GaroldShaffer
#2 - I will also be picking up a 71 parts car this
week, maybe it has better ones??
Eric_Shea
Wow!

Was that thing a bouy anchor? I've seen rust before but...

If you look real close I think you can see a little bit of car in that rust. Wow!

Muinto thanks for the offer but I think I'll need to keep looking. Good luck tearing it apart and be careful. Did you get a tetanus shot? smile.gif

Thanks again...
GWN7
When the car is in 1/2 you can stand the front end up. Brace with a couple of 2 X4's makes taking the front end off easy. In your case tho, you might get away using a claw hammer instead of sockets to take it off.
crash914
Perhaps the car has a left front turn signal bucket under the rust?//

if so, I need one....thanks, herb
Engman
Holy crap - and I thought my front trunk was rusty!

Too bad about the LE. But loooks like you get all of the LE goodies - leather steering wheel, center console, fog lights? rear defroster (this was an option and not on all LE's) Mahle rims. I'd say you made out real well. Hopefully the wife is not too upset.

M
vortrex
QUOTE(GWN7 @ Nov 8 2003, 07:52 PM)
When the car is in 1/2 you can stand the front end up. Brace with a couple of 2 X4's makes taking the front end off easy. In your case tho, you might get away using a claw hammer instead of sockets to take it off.

yup! just like this..
GaroldShaffer
Cool, did you cut just after the door Jam??
vortrex
yeah pretty much. I wasn't planning on taking off the front suspension but could not lift it into the uhaul with it on so just flipped it up on end to yank it off. your car is so rusty the sawzall should be like a hot knife thru butter. cutting up a rust free car was difficult at times, such as getting through the longs, center tunnel, etc.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.