Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Who do you like?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Randal
In the Bay area we're blessed with many different Porsche clubs where we can run AutoX's.

This last year Bill and I ran with GGR and LPR primarily, but want to do others next year - (Redwood Region (RED), Diablo (DIA), SCV (Sacramento) and the Fresno people (SEQ).

What was your experience and what did you like about the clubs you ran with and what didn't you like?

Comments on organization, rules, venues, driver/social interaction, fees or whatever you want to mention would be appreciated.

I for one really miss the Reno people doing their yearly Stead AutoX. This was a fun group of people that got together in the evenings for social events and generally didn't take themselves too seriously.

I also greatly enjoyed our trip up North for the Hoopa Hillclimb (Redwood Sports Car Club). Driver interaction up there was great....seems like most everyone was into meeting new people, even if they were from the Porsche Club.

What's your opinion?
grantsfo
Loma Prieta Region is my top pick for for AX. Lots of runs, laid back atmosphere, helpful people, etc. Its nice to have announcers too.

Redwood Region is runner up. Very similar enviroment to Loma Prieta without announcers.

Sac Valley was fun when I went a couple years ago. Again similar enviroment to Redwood and Loma Preita.

I run SCCA when they go to Marina. Its a production and feels more like a formal competition. Lots of hardcore AX nerds. Long lines at registration. Not many runs. Some nice people, some indiffernt and some down right strange ones. They tend to be more serious about rules. Rules protests are not uncommon. They scan your car as you come up to the line - slick timing devices.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Randal @ Nov 2 2006, 11:17 AM) *

Diablo (DIA)

as far as i know, diablo region only puts on pizza nights for old people ...
rolleyes.gif Andy
Trekkor
pizza.gif

Mmmmm, I had pizza tonight.

KT
DanT
Randal,
There has been talk that the Zone 7 AX series might be run under parade rules next season. Evidently a lot of Zone AX folks want to compete against like cars at the less modified levels. Sound familiar?

That would mix things up a bit on Zone/Region AX weekends, eh? dry.gif confused24.gif

Competing under two sets of rules at the same time confused24.gif
Randal
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Nov 2 2006, 09:34 PM) *

Randal,
There has been talk that the Zone 7 AX series might be run under parade rules next season. Evidently a lot of Zone AX folks want to compete against like cars at the less modified levels. Sound familiar?

That would mix things up a bit on Zone/Region AX weekends, eh? dry.gif confused24.gif

From a top level view, what are major differences in the the Parade rules?
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Randal @ Nov 2 2006, 11:17 AM) *

In the Bay area we're blessed with many different Porsche clubs where we can run AutoX's.

This last year Bill and I ran with GGR and LPR primarily, but want to do others next year - (Redwood Region (RED), Diablo (DIA), SCV (Sacramento) and the Fresno people (SEQ).

What was your experience and what did you like about the clubs you ran with and what didn't you like?

Comments on organization, rules, venues, driver/social interaction, fees or whatever you want to mention would be appreciated.

I for one really miss the Reno people doing their yearly Stead AutoX. This was a fun group of people that got together in the evenings for social events and generally didn't take themselves too seriously.

I also greatly enjoyed our trip up North for the Hoopa Hillclimb (Redwood Sports Car Club). Driver interaction up there was great....seems like most everyone was into meeting new people, even if they were from the Porsche Club.

What's your opinion?

Loma Prieta and Redwood would have to be my top picks, although the last time I was at the Shultz the guy who was teching got to my car and said "sure are a lot of VW's here today. Too bad it isn't a 914 course" Except for the Bayless 912 they all got spanked by the '14s of course because as Trekkor says "they're all 914 courses".
Loma Prieta is such a nice place to go. I love Marina
I hate our own. But that is because I have to get up at 4:30am and tow a trailer 50 miles and then set up a course and assemble timing and such. We have good courses though. Then I have to tow the trailer back to Sac and park it in the dark without smashing the stromberg.gif out of Mike's Karmann Ghia or knocking down his shed.

Charles Schultz is a rough course with a lot of bouncy bouncy going on. But it is fun and interesting. I have a long drive to get there. People are freindly. Competition is good. They try to get people to come to dinner and such after.

Marina is a great course. Rough on tires. But with that much room you have to have a good course designer or you can stink up the place. The guy with the supercharged Miata designed a course that I had more fun with in the rain than any course I have been on in years. Bar none, Loma Prieta is the most welcoming group I have seen in a long time. A couple of years ago LPR and GGR did a weekend and I went down for both days. Although they picked a resteraunt with not enough room, we all got together for pizza which was cool.

Stockton is small but smooth. We try to stay out of the heart of the summer but if you plan ahead, bring sunscreen, water, and a little portable shelter, Matt designs great courses which a group of us critique and modify. We gave out Halloween candy on the 29th! biggrin.gif

GGR has the best locations of anyone I know of on the face of the earth. I feel so hammered from the drive down that it makes it a little harder to have fun. Once again, with that much room for your courses you have to design well or it can suck. The one thing I have heard said about GGR that concerned me regarding courses the most is that people "high up" in the club modify your couses after they have been set. I would skin anyone but a safety steward and even he or she had better have a good argument. It cannot be easy to run events that are that big every time. That in itself is a challenge. I want to run more GGR events next year. I have to modify my schedule a bit because working Friday and getting up early Saturday has not worked out for me.

What would be cool is if we could as a 914 bunch somehow host each other on the night before events so we aren't driving for hours to get to the course. I certainly have room for cars and trailers. We just need to get a venue in Sac so we can take advantage of it.

As for the rules. I don't care about them. It is just fun to go out and run. I find SCCA rules much more rational but we don't have the variety of cars they do so they don't work for us.

I am out of time. Got to work I guess.
DanT
QUOTE(Randal @ Nov 3 2006, 08:26 AM) *

Randal,

Randal, here is the parade rules....they are very much like our old rules. Until a car is highly modified they run with like cars. Pretty smart, huh?

They also divide cars by engine displacement even after they are modified so you dont have a 90HP modified 914 running against a 964 or Boxster with the same sort of modifications.
None of the 90HP vs. 300Hp like I have been dealing with in AX11 this season....OOPs, thats right I won didn't I? confused24.gif burnout.gif
Anyway you get what I mean.

http://www.pca.org/members/library/pcr/2006/PCR_2006.pdf
Randal
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Nov 3 2006, 08:46 AM) *

Randal,

Randal, here is the parade rules....they are very much like our old rules. Until a car is highly modified they run with like cars. Pretty smart, huh?

They also divide cars by engine displacement even after they are modified so you dont have a 90HP modified 914 running against a 964 or Boxster with the same sort of modifications.
None of the 90HP vs. 300Hp like I have been dealing with in AX11 this season....OOPs, thats right I won didn't I? confused24.gif burnout.gif

Looks like Modified "M02" for the BPR SILVER machine.

I didn't look, but I'm sure you can't run two cars in different classes. So I guess Bill and I will just have to run M02 and whatever class Lucille fits into. Maybe she'll fit into an Improved category - but no matter we just need to look for Brad and his rocket and line up there. ninja.gif

Trekkor
the guy who was teching got to my car and said "sure are a lot of VW's here today.

laugh.gif I think that was Mike Thomas.

He was running grid one time and said something like, "Nice VW" when I staged up on deck.
I revved my motor up so when his lips we're moving you couldn't hear any words. I said, "That no VW".

Actually, I think Mike own's two 914's of his own.

KT
Chris Pincetich
I like the course at the Santa Rosa airport a lot...predictable course lines for a newb like me. Small friendly crowd was great for my first 3 AXs. I think they HAVE to start at 10am, the late start/finish was my biggest gripe. They run a double hot lap in the afternoon which is awesome. They don't have a lunch cart/roach coach which sucks.

Then I went to Alameda...BIG crowd but very well run so that I got plenty o runs ( 9 total!). Course could be anything which is cool, lunch truck was awesome, and people friendly. The Alameda event was great overall. Felt more like a real "race car" day.

Looking forward to Sears paddock and more events next year beerchug.gif

PS - I will be lurking and watching for the local PCA "rules" to develop. If I am only up against other 914 1.7s I might have a chance at something other than top 50!
ConeDodger
QUOTE(ChrisNPDrider @ Nov 3 2006, 02:36 PM) *

I like the course at the Santa Rosa airport a lot...predictable course lines for a newb like me. Small friendly crowd was great for my first 3 AXs. I think they HAVE to start at 10am, the late start/finish was my biggest gripe. They run a double hot lap in the afternoon which is awesome. They don't have a lunch cart/roach coach which sucks.

Then I went to Alameda...BIG crowd but very well run so that I got plenty o runs ( 9 total!). Course could be anything which is cool, lunch truck was awesome, and people friendly. The Alameda event was great overall. Felt more like a real "race car" day.

Looking forward to Sears paddock and more events next year beerchug.gif

PS - I will be lurking and watching for the local PCA "rules" to develop. If I am only up against other 914 1.7s I might have a chance at something other than top 50!

Chris,
You are right, they do have to start after 10am. But look at it from my point of view. I can sleep in a bit and still make registration, tech and the DM.
As for rules, you don't need no stinking rules. Just have fun. You need a boat load of seat time around here before you start thinking about winning. Just run for the fun...
As for the guy with the VW comment I just reved the Bumblebee up to about 5K and said, this VW has an attitude... biggrin.gif
nine14cats
QUOTE(Randal @ Nov 3 2006, 09:30 AM) *

Randal,

Looks like Modified "M02" for the BPR SILVER machine.

I didn't look, but I'm sure you can't run two cars in different classes. So I guess Bill and I will just have to run M02 and whatever class Lucille fits into. Maybe she'll fit into an Improved category - but no matter we just need to look for Brad and his rocket and line up there. ninja.gif

I read throught the Parade rules and the letter of the law says Lucille would be in M04. Not the place to be if we want to be competitive. The only thing keeping the Spec Boxster out of I04 is a headliner, door glass, and visors. I'm going to send the rules committee a letter with the Spec Boxster rules and see if they will let Lucille play in I04, which is a more appropriate class.

Bill P.
ConeDodger

Randal,

Hmmm... These seem pretty simple to understand and not so punitive for silly things that don't effect autocross like aftermarket spoilers and such. Have we ever considered using these as Zone rules? Plus they are portable across the entire club...
DanT
The other advantage to using parade rules would be that the rules are being administered by a group from around the country.... instead of a small local group putting a personal slant on the rules. dry.gif

the unfortunate situation in GGR/Zone 7 is there are no show room stock classes any longer...so a newbie comes out with his new shiney (expensive) Porsche and gets his A$$ handed to him by a $8K car with 90HP....
Makes them really want to come back again confused24.gif

Also the group of folks that pushed the points system thru basically shoved them down our collective throats and then left for other racing groups.
Of the 10 folks that rewrote our rules (points system), only 1 competes regularly with GGR now....and a couple others do so occassionally only...

Several others of the 10 haven't competed in GGR/zone7 in years. blink.gif
J P Stein
The Parade rules are pretty damn good, IMO.
The only problem with em' is that there are 42 classes....double that to include the ladies.

We use a condensed version that is recommended in the PCRs for smaller clubs.
Not as fair as the full boat version, but not an administrative nightmare either.

BTW, Bill: tough nuggies.....welcome to MO4
Should your petition be successful, I'll have to come down just to protest you biggrin.gif
nine14cats
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Nov 5 2006, 10:24 AM) *

The Parade rules are pretty damn good, IMO.
The only problem with em' is that there are 42 classes....double that to include the ladies.

We use a condensed version that is recommended in the PCRs for smaller clubs.
Not as fair as the full boat version, but not an administrative nightmare either.

BTW, Bill: tough nuggies.....welcome to MO4
Should your petition be successful, I'll have to come down just to protest you biggrin.gif

I still have my visors, my headliner and my side windows. I already have custom door panels...If I put them back in I wonder if it will be legal for Improved 04?

I'll even home depot carpet back in...light and cheap too...put it in for Parade...pull it out for everything else... happy11.gif

Bill P.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.