Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My 1 Year Anniversary
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Curvie Roadlover
It was November 8th 2002 that I hopped on a plane to San Fran to pick up my car. 3 days later I was on the highway driving it home. Getting the car back to Michigan in mid November didn't really leave any time left in the season to drive for pleasure (not that the ride home wasn't pleasurable, though). It sat in the garage all winter being cleaned and prepped for the next season. As soon as all the salt had been washed off the roads, I began a great summer of 914 fun. While owning my first 914 I was always afraid to drive it much further that I was willing to push it home, but not with this one. I've put almost 4K miles on it this season, all trouble-free, I'm happy to report. The 2003 season is quickly drawing to a close in this neck of the woods (20 degrees this morning) but as long as they don't salt the roads I'll still try to get in a couple of trips before it gets put away for winter. It has been a great summer!!! driving.gif
Eric_Shea
Whereabouts in MI?

I'm originally from Lansing/Eaton Rapids area. Stay warm and don't let her out to play in the snow! I got my first 914 in Lansing almost 23 years ago. You can imagine what a MI teener looked like. When I finally sold the car it had a complete 916 body kit.

I sold it to buy a 911 and I wanted my 914 back shortly after. Not that I don't like 911's just that I don't think any true Porschephile should be without a 914 ;-)

Salt Lake was 32deg this AM with about 6" of snow still hanging around where I am. We like snow here!
Curvie Roadlover
Allen Park. Ever heard of it? I'm anxious for snow too. I got new skis I'm looking to put some miles on to take my mind off the fact that I'll soon have to wait for spring to drive the teener.
Eric_Shea
Yup, when I worked at Marshall Music (my first job in this industry) we had a branch store there. I think they still do... no?

Alta is in my back yard smile.gif Steep, Deep and Cheap! You're welcome to come out. Ski areas open around the 20th
TJB/914
Congratulations Curvie (Tom). Our Michigan 914 groupies are lucky to have you. We have so many leaders in our group is hard to pick the "Grand Puby". Curvie is always out there in the activity planning. Keep up the good work & see you in the spring.
I just came back from Petoskey to check our condo & it was snowing. Winds off lake Michigan went right through you & it was cold. Everyone up there is waiting for the snow crowd.
P.S.
A picture of Curvie & me at Toledo.
See everyone next spring (VW meet).
Tom
rick 918-S
The sports car season is done here. 6" of snow on the ground, sunny, 4 deg. We put the MGA away two weeks ago. The MGA is going on the auction block over the winter. So the Alien needs to get finished up. I really got spoiled this summer. Top off driving is great. British sports car are fun, but it's really NO the same thing.

I remember reading about your trip Tom and I was envious. Glad to here you had a great summer.

P.S. Anyone in the Midwest or East want a 1959 California MGA? confused24.gif
TJB/914
Rich 918-S
Does it have a Chevy in it?? Looked at a Chebby 914 yesterday in Muskegon (on e-bay) but it's not the one for me. Nice car but I would have to do my thing to it & I may as well start ground-up.
Tom
Brad Roberts
Tom,

WOW!. I cant beleive it has already been a year. These last 12 months have been a roller coaster for me.. not knowing what I'm going to be doing next...to having some closure recently in my decision to follow my passion (914's)

I'm glad everything worked out "ok". Your a super nice guy and well liked by the NorCal crowd. The indy fun run was great. I was planning on chatting with you a little longer than the 5 minutes we stopped during one of the resting periods.

I'm trying to find the pic of the dinner table at "Tide House" when we held the NorCal dinner for you.

clap56.gif

B
Curvie Roadlover
here's one:
Curvie Roadlover
I also remember dinner we had at Chili's. I told the hostess "2 for non-smoking, please" and you said,"you just gave yourself away as an out-of-stater".
That whole trip just couldn't have gone any better. When I bought my plane ticket I didn't even know anything about the car I bought, I was just coming out to look at a couple of others for sale. By the time the date rolled around, I had found the red car and had descided to buy it which took all the pressure off as far as shopping for a car when I got there. You picking me up at the airport in the car was great. It meant I didn't have to get a rental car while I was there. A friend in Foster City let me stay at her bro-in-law's condo while he was in China for 2 weeks, which was right on the bay (and I mean RIGHT on the bay - about 50 feet away). I got to do some siteseeing for a couple of days before heading back. My only regret is......... well, I have no regrets. It was one of the greatest road trips you could have.
Curvie Roadlover
Before (in Palo Alto)
Curvie Roadlover
and after (Michigan)
Bruce Allert
Tom, that's sounds like a trip to be remembered forever. Nice car to boot! I had a road trip when I found my 914. Actually flew but a couple hundred miles to Medford Orygun. The car wasn't what I wanted so I rented a car for the 6hr. drive back. At the halfway point my wife called & said she'd found a 914 on the web in Albany. Got hold of the owner, looked at it & the rest is history... Punkin was born!
I couldn't make out anyone in your dinner pic so I cleaned it up & re-posted in case it was too dark for others.
Thanks for the story.
bruce
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ Nov 8 2003, 12:02 PM)
Rich 918-S
Does it have a Chevy in it?? Looked at a Chebby 914 yesterday in Muskegon (on e-bay) but it's not the one for me. Nice car but I would have to do my thing to it & I may as well start ground-up.
Tom

It's all Porsche. Click on my link in this post. The site is old but the message is clear. lol3.gif
Brad Roberts
As Adam Corrolla would say: "Good Times"

I cant believe that the club is only a month and half away from being 1 year old.

We have had some serious teething pains... but I think it will pay off.

B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.