Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: square tubed headers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
r_towle
How come no one has tried square tubed headers for a type 4?
I am thinking like the Nascar headers?
I am opening up a topic to discuss the benefits of round tubing versus square tubing for headers.

Also, is there an optimum size for tubing for a 2.0 liter headers???
What happens if you were to build a header with say 2.5 inch ID for a 2.0 liter??? Does is flow better? Does is effect the scavanging??
Is bigger better???

Rich
Aaron Cox
I'm sure if alfred were here, he'd post and give us a physics lesson wink.gif
rick 918-S
Why don't you build a set and send them to Jake. He could put them on one of his Dyno motors. The proof is in the testing. One of the biggest problems as I see it is forming square tubing. All the bends would have to be sand packed, heated and formed an you probably still get some colapse. Or you could cut all the pieces out of flat sheet and TIG them together. Them it would diffecult to size the tube to get the same flow as round tube with the same weight or wall thickness. Square tube tends to be thicker = heavier.
URY914
I think NASCAR uses square or flat because the cars are too close to the ground. Round shape is the best for moving liquid or gases. Do you ever see square pipe used anywhere?

Karl's a rocket engineer, he can explain it.

Paul
r_towle
I am kinda hoping someone with a physics backround chimes in to explain.

I might do it, tig welded flat stock and send them to Jake to see if its viable.

It would be a whole hell of alot easier to add effective heater boxes to a setup like that, and I would hope to be able to hug the motor/tranny alot closer than what is currently available for less money.

I am thinking that once done, I could share the patterns FOR FREE to everyone so as not to keep the Secret to myself and allow all of us home mechanics (read cheap) that can weld, to build a set that would be usable with alot of the cheap free flow mufflers out there...

Rich
ChrisFoley
Waste of time IMO Rich. I'm pretty sure the gas flow will not be as efficient in a square tube. Besides it will be harder, not easier to fabricate. Smooth bends will be a nightmare to produce, especially if they don't follow a single axis of the tube.
Qarl
I graduated 10 years ago and haven't done aerospace stuff since. But round is better!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.