Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anyone ever install Eberspacher heater in 914?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
william harris
I really don't want to put the teener away until the snow falls. But this morning had me wondering about installing the Eberspacher heater - they made a version for the type 4 motor and Ark Mirvis from the Samba has them available. Anybody ever do this? In case you are wondering, I have no heat, Evo Headers without any heater box - in my humble experience the heat from the heat exchangers was minimal at best. Ideas?? confused24.gif
JeffBowlsby
Actually the stock heating/defrost system is fantastic from my experience. Its important to have the heat duct gaskets in place and the auxiliary fan, but there is enough heat to cook an egg in the cabin. With headers I guess you are SOL.

Webasto also made a gas heater for the 914, but I have never seen one other than these photos, from SirAndy:
william harris
Hey Jeff: It was in the 20s in MA this morning. You guys in CA have no idea what real cold is. My neighbor was scraping the ice off his windshield when I pulled out of the garage. Yeah, the pursuit of HP lead to the decision to go with headers, although Chris does offer his own version of a heater box. Want a laugh, I have heating clothing for my Beemer - Gerbings heated vest and gloves and an adapter to plug them into the cig lighter. Toasty for me, the passenger will freeze - but to hell with them. av-943.gif
JeffBowlsby
I know what you go through, I lived in Omaha for awhile, no amount of clothing will keep the cold out...thats why I live on the west coast wink.gif
william harris
California Dreaming!!!! But heck, we got Kerry, Kennedy, Barney Frank, et. al. to make it that much more fun to be here. rocking nana.gif
iamchappy
I had the same problem here 17ยบ this morning, I do have an electric heater that I mounted to an extra ash tray I had that worked pretty good, I had to hard wire it to the battery, I put an electrical plug end on it and ran a extension cord type plug that was hard wired to the battery. I also picked up a very nice 1966 911 Eberspacher gas heater I was considering installing but instead choose to go the heat exchanger route which I also feel works very good. Let me know if your interested in this stuff as I have no use for it.
SirAndy
QUOTE(william harris @ Nov 3 2006, 06:26 AM) *

had me wondering about installing the Eberspacher heater

go for it! i had one in my '74 bug, insane heat, like sauna hot on a -10C morning ...
set the timer to 1/2 hour before you want to leave and the car will be nice and toasty ...

they work great!
piratenanner.gif Andy
william harris
Well, if nothing else it will give me something to work on during the long, long winter here in Massachusetts.
reverie
A reconditioned Eberspacher from Ark Mirvis would be awesome. I think the Eberspacher heat outlet (duct) goes directly into the cabin, in only one spot? It might be nice to connect the outlet to the stock tubing to direct the heat to other spots, but I don't know if that's necessary.

You could also check the local RV shops, to see what kind of auxiliary heaters they have.. just a thought.
Gary
I have a gas version of one of these: Espar D1LC in a box. Haven't gotten around to installing it yet. With a -6 conversion, not a lot of other good options outside of the stock or the $2k PMS stainless heat exchangers.

I have an Ark-rebuilt unit in our bug too. Works great. He's a little pricey though - as I recall about $400 to rebuild my unit. I figured burning gasoline in the trunk warranted a qualified rebuild though.
GeorgeRud
I also picked up a used Eberspacher gas heater (watch, the D series are for diesel fuel) to heat the 914-6 conversion. Eventually, I went with some heat exchangers and they work well but were expensive.

If someone has a good system in place with the gas heater, pictures would be appreciated. I don't believe anyone has actually seen the Eberspacher system installed in the 914s though.
McMark
I've never held or looked at a gas heater in person. Would it fit in the area where the relay board is? That would make ducting the heated air super easy, as well as fuel and electrical.
turboman808
Think tomorrow is gonna be the last day of driving for me til next year

sad.gif
Mueller
QUOTE(McMark @ Nov 3 2006, 10:13 PM) *

I've never held or looked at a gas heater in person. Would it fit in the area where the relay board is? That would make ducting the heated air super easy, as well as fuel and electrical.

I have the same one as George...next time you come on over, hopefully one of us will remember to take a look at at smash.gif welder.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.