Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Carbs - which distributor?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ptravnic
I'm looking to put on a set of carbs for ease of bench testing/engine swapping. The car I'm swapping systems on has been running D-Jet. What type of distributor will be needed ?

My carb options are Webber 44's, Dellorto 40's, and a set of Solex that I'm not sure of the size off hand. I have these carbs on hand, just need cleaned up.

Thanks in advance!

-pt
Bleyseng
stock one is fine or a Mallory
HeloMech
I have my stock 1.7 djet dizzy still installed with my solex 40's. I bought a 009, never put it in. I'm holding out now for the mallory. smile.gif
Flycut
Mallory Unilite by jake raby, I have dual 44 webers and tried the 009, Stock original, and really feel the difference with the unilite.
ptravnic
Thanks guys. For some reason I thought that carbs required a diff distributor. Maybe that thought got crossed with fuel pump. I've got a couple low pressure fuel pumps that will work out.

And don't worry, I'm not throwing away the FI completely - just planning on doing a few engine swaps between 3 diff cars and want to make sure I can get them tuned & driveable during the benchtest's. It seems to take me quite a bit of time to get all the FI stuff sorted when swapping in/out engines. whereas carbs are a couple bolts and that's it.

-pt
JoeSharp
We've done a few distributors in our stock camed carbed cars.
The 009 works but it suffers on the bottomend as well as a 010 and the 018 both from 356's.
The cam is tied more directly to the distributor the the carbs.
My 1.8 with carbs and stock car had no issues with the distributor.
Thomas wound up with an 050 and thats what we're goiong to put in Lindas car. The 050 gave the best bottomend responce.
All of these car got better than 40 MPG.
Linda got 49.16 with the 009 timed at 27 BTDC total advance.
:PERMAGRIN: Joe
nycchef
QUOTE(ptravnic @ Nov 3 2006, 07:08 AM) *

I'm looking to put on a set of carbs for ease of bench testing/engine swapping. The car I'm swapping systems on has been running D-Jet. What type of distributor will be needed ?

My carb options are Webber 44's, Dellorto 40's, and a set of Solex that I'm not sure of the size off hand. I have these carbs on hand, just need cleaned up.

Thanks in advance!

-pt

who talked you into going over to carbs? are you nuts, it can't be done. i hate you. oh and whatever ones you don't use i'll take.
SGB
44s may be too big, especially with stock cam. Go with the Dells and stock dizzy unless you get a hot cam, then the Mallory is gold!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.