Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Suspension Noise
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TheCabinetmaker
A very definite "clunck" developed a few days ago from the right rear suspension. After jacking the car up and looking at everything, and shaking everything, I saw nothing to indicate where it came from till I shook the wheel. Bingo! trailing arm bushings are shot! It's a street car, but I still drive it aggressively as possible when I get the chance. Couple of ax's a year. What are my bushing options? Sorry Mueller, that's not one of them.
JWest
If not Mike's, then you have to go urethane. Rubber are not available separate from the arm. Search for articles on doing grease fittings and grooves on here or the bird board.
Jeroen
Dunneed no bird-board... We've got all you need here biggrin.gif
Browse the "classic threads forum" you'll find some good and usefull install tips there

cheers,

Jeroen
Mueller
No problem, I'll have a set waiting for you when you get tired of the squeaks and moans smile.gif

seriously, make sure the set of poly bushing fit correctly, I installed a set a while back on Scott Carlbergs car and the damn things fit too sloppy and I had to shim the OD of the bushings with .02" sheetmetal, not a pretty repair, but it'll last for a few years or more. We had a few other options, but due to time and budget, I did what I know will work.

Options?

buy new trailing arms with "good??" ID's or make custom sized poly bushings (Racer Chris does this, and now I know why !!! )

The inside diameter of the trailing arms is not exact, and with the problem you described, one end might be ovalized due to the axle banging up and down on the tube of the trailing arm.

You have to trim the flange of the new bushings as well...the axle must extend past both sides of the bushings by a few thou or the axle will not fully seat against the mounts.

I might have posted pictures of Scotts install, if not, I'll post a quick write up on Monday
TheCabinetmaker
Whats a bird board? laugh.gif

Thanks Jeroen, Just got done with that. found a few useful threads.

James, the grease zirts were already a consideration. But haven't found any info on that yet(not done looking). Should just be a matter of drilling, tapping, and insetring, right? Where is the best place for them?

Curt
Mueller
FLAPS should have zerk fittings, not a lot of matieral to tap, so be careful
JWest
Sorry for the mention of the "bird", but I remember an OLD write-up about it showing grooving the bushing, etc. so it was probably over there...
TheCabinetmaker
See? you guys make me think about all kinds of stuff. laugh.gif guess I better get off my butt and on my back(under the car that is).
TheCabinetmaker
OK, think I figured it out. Found an arm on another car that has a "like new" rubber bushing. Got off my ass, switched them out. I'm done! I go drive now. We'll see how it feels. wavey.gif MDB2.gif
Scott Carlberg
QUOTE(Mueller @ Nov 8 2003, 09:10 AM)
seriously, make sure the set of poly bushing fit correctly, I installed a set a while back on Scott Carlbergs car and the damn things fit too sloppy and I had to shim the OD of the bushings with .02" sheetmetal, not a pretty repair, but it'll last for a few years or more.

Actually Mike, my 'noise' came back about 10 days later. sad.gif

I called Dave at GPR (where i bought the p.u. bushings) and asked him if they ever got
a bad/ill fitting group of bushings.

He said,
"I have had one other issue but it was 1 out of 250 sets if not more. You
need to really grease the bushings well and I even groove them".

I told him that you had done the Grooving & Greasing things.
He also added,
"I will send you another set with your next order". (front strut mount kit) clap56.gif

But I'm starting to wonder if my arms are just not in original/good shape, where the
bushings go in. ???
TheCabinetmaker
Noise is gone. handling seems better. Seems to have a little less squat on acceleration. How tight should the nut on the bushing be? one was very tight and one was not so tight when I took them off. The washer under the nut was also missing on the bad one( my driver).

Thanks to reading some old threads, I checked the hole in the ear on the suspension console and it looked perfecly round. I never would have thought to look. beerchug.gif

No fat tire in Okieland, but I'm off to Chili's for dinner and a newcastle brown ale! beer.gif chowtime.gif beer.gif
Jeroen
QUOTE(James Adams @ Nov 8 2003, 07:31 PM)
Sorry for the mention of the "bird"

Don't worry, just janking sum chains biggrin.gif

cheers,

Jeroen
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.