Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Opinions needed: what to look for in a converted 6
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
G e o r g e
And with that being said

what would a good price be for a running 2.7 conversion? (how can i tell if it is a 2.7?)

less than 10?

>9?
>8?
>7?
>6?
>5?

and i know thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

but i don't go look at it till tomorrow.
davep
Look to see how the engine is mounted at the front.
Look to see how the oil lines are plumbed.
Look to see how the throttle linkage is made up.
Exhaust system. Fit and finish. Get the engine number and code. That is a good start on what the engine started as. Since it is now in a 914, the guts of the engine may have nothing to do with the numbers on the case. After 30 years anything is possible.
Price is dependent on what exactly you are getting.
GeorgeRud
A leakdown or compression test can give you some idea of the mechanical condition of the engine. Look for Carrera tensioner updates. Does it have headers or heat exchangers? 914 or 915 transmission? Flares, wheels, brakes? etc. etc. etc.

My guess would be anywhere from 10,000 up.
G e o r g e
here's the ad

914-6 clone, 73 2.7eng, rebuilt webbers, susp, brakes, SS brake lines, elec ign., extra parts, short shifter, runs good, needs tlc (says rust to me)>7 asking price

why or what would i need to find to walk away ( besides rust )

pic shows 4 lug
TravisNeff
The tub needs to be in good shape, a hotrod 2.7 is not worth much in a rotted tub. Also I would imagine that they changes to 5 lug - what did they use? suspension up to par with the engine? another factor. If all the conversion parts are top notch and have a car with a great paintjob, but some bad cancer or a bent tub - you start over with some conversion parts. Paint, bodywork and rust repairs can rival an engine build in a hurry. I would approach the purchase if the engine didn't matter at first, like it didn't matter if it was a 4 or 6. Once the car passes the test then persue the engine swap to add to the price.
G e o r g e
QUOTE(Travis Neff @ Nov 3 2006, 09:27 PM) *

The tub needs to be in good shape, a hotrod 2.7 is not worth much in a rotted tub. Also I would imagine that they changes to 5 lug - what did they use? suspension up to par with the engine? another factor. If all the conversion parts are top notch and have a car with a great paintjob, but some bad cancer or a bent tub - you start over with some conversion parts. Paint, bodywork and rust repairs can rival an engine build in a hurry. I would approach the purchase if the engine didn't matter at first, like it didn't matter if it was a 4 or 6. Once the car passes the test then persue the engine swap to add to the price.

i hear you on the tub, but if it was a stock 4 at 7k that needed tlc i wouldn't even think about looking at it.
SLITS
Conversion:

Price of original car = ?
Oil Tank (stock) = $900+
Oil Lines .... = $300
Engine mount = $300+
Engine mounts = $100
HEs (stock) = $900+
Muffler = $300?
Shortened shift rod = $100
Bell crank accelerator assy = $100+
Webers = $1200
2.7 engine = $1000 - $2500
Suspension (5 lug +master +lines) = $900
Wheels = $400 - $600
Engine Tin = $350+
Labor to do conversion/welding/drilling/wiring = ???
Tuning to run right = ????
Electronic Ignition = $60 - $250
Guages = $100 - $500
Conversion Flywheel = $150 - $700

You can add it up and it can be done cheaper with a little shopping, but......
Allan
When did Porsche start with the 2.7?

I thought it was '74.
davep
2.7 did come out in the 1974 MY.
Porsche Rescue
A running driving six conversion with a straight body, decent interior and no serious rust is a great buy at $7000.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.