Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Race/Track car fuel pump and filter ...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Eddie914
Please show the fuel system (pump, filter, pressure regulator, & ?) on your teener.

My teener is '71 1.7 converted to a 3.2 with Webers. It may be converted to F.I. in the future.

I've installed the Foley SS fuel lines with an OEM Hardi fuel pump located in the front trunk.

Reliability has been a problem lately. Time to start over.

Thanks

Eddie
race914
Hi Eddie,

I'm running Weber 48IDAs and currently use a Holley "Blue" electric fuel pump that comes with a regulator. This is mounted in the front trunk.

IPB Image

I also run a Fram HPG-1 Fuel filter back in the engine compartment.

IPB Image

Have had this setup for 5 years now with no issues.

Greg
Van914
Eddie,
I am using a Holley Blue Fuel pump with a PMO Regulator. I have it set up with a return line back to the tank. I alos use a canister fuel filter. Summit Racing or Jegs has the parts. We are also using this setup on a PCA GT-5 racer.
van914
Eddie914
Would this be acceptable?

brant
Eddie,

my carb set up also includes a return.
(very important in my opinion)

my set up includes an accumulator also, to prevent fuel slosh and lighten the fuel load that needs to be carried on the track to prevent starvation in the corners. I actually think I'm able to carry between 2 and 3 gallons less fuel which is over 20lbs less weight.

-so pump 1 goes from cell to accumulator and through a filter on its way.
-accumulator has an overflow back to cell for when it is full
-pump 2 goes from accumulator to regulator in engine bay.
-after leaving the regulator, It flows into one PMO rail, and then out to the 2nd carb
-next, into the 2nd PMO rail and then back out to the return
-return also down the center tunnel and then back into cell.

all of my fuel lines in the engine bay are wrapped for heat purposes.

The accumulator is mostly for the benefit of weight in a carb'd car
but becomes absolutely necessary in a F.I. situation
(carbs have their own tiny accumulators built in called "bowls"... but fuel injection is absolutely dependent upon a constant fuel pressure which can be hard to achieve if the pick up is sucking air in the corners.

Pictures are all in my vintage thread

brant
groot
Eddie,

Make sure you get the low pressure regulator. Holley sells two pressure regulators (probably more, but who cares if it's chromed or not). Webers need the lower pressure regulator, while most American carbs need the higher pressure regulators.

BTW... on my -4 I run the same system as Greg. Works great for me.
Eddie914
Brant,

Do you use a regulator in between the carbs and the return line to the tank to maintain pressure to the fuel rails at 3.5 psi?

Thanks

Eddie
brant
QUOTE(Eddie914 @ Nov 4 2006, 09:39 AM) *

Brant,

Do you use a regulator in between the carbs and the return line to the tank to maintain pressure to the fuel rails at 3.5 psi?

Thanks

Eddie

you can plumb the regulator either before or after.
there is a great old thread here somewhere which shows about the 5 different ways you could plumb a system.

my regulator is before the carbs currently.
on my old car it was after the carbs.
with carbs its relatively easy to get "enough" fuel to the bowls and thus the exact correct pressure and volume only has to be "close enough"

close enough to not overwhelm the seat and keep something in the bowls.

with a fuel injection system, I believe it becomes more critical.

I forgot to add that you are going to want to put a fuel pressure guage somewhere close to the carbs. never mount one off of the motor though.. to much vibration.

I've seen this happen.. where the guage was mounted off of the fuel rail and vibrated until it finally cracked where the guage screwed into the rail. BIG fire....

always mount the guage from a chassis point. It will still vibrate a ton, but not as much as the motor.

brant
drew365
If it helps any here are some pics of my new setup. First shows the fuel cell, second shows the Holley red fuel pump with a filter on each side of it, the last is the fuel reglulator in the engine compartment, there's a small gauge on top of the regluator that doesn't show in the pic.

Click to view attachment

Fuel pump in old tank cavity

Click to view attachment

drew365
And regulator

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.