Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Alternator or Regulator or Other?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
thewheel69
Hey gang, been a while since I have posted but as 914's go, its always something to work on or fix right?

Current situation... my voltmeter jumps irradically when I first start her up and rev the motor... it settles down a bit but there is a "pulse" that I can see on the lighted radio face that tells me something is up with the electrical system.

The red light does not come on for the alternator that I can detect.

I checked the belt tension and do not hear any rattling or bad noise coming from the altenator area...

Could it be the regulator? Where is that little bugger at?

Thanks in advance...
davep
I would check all the wiring first. Ground straps on battery and transmission also. I haven't seen any good alternator harnesses for a long time. The ten I have were trash 15 years ago. Even the relay board in the engine compartment can have serious issues. That is where the regulator plugs in. Most relay boards need rebuilding. Clean the fuse contacts and replace the fuses on the fuse panel under the dash.

It may be the alternator diodes are failing also. But check the wiring first.
thewheel69
QUOTE(davep @ Nov 4 2006, 08:26 AM) *

I would check all the wiring first. Ground straps on battery and transmission also. I haven't seen any good alternator harnesses for a long time. The ten I have were trash 15 years ago. Even the relay board in the engine compartment can have serious issues. That is where the regulator plugs in. Most relay boards need rebuilding. Clean the fuse contacts and replace the fuses on the fuse panel under the dash.

It may be the alternator diodes are failing also. But check the wiring first.

Thanks for the tips... I hope it's something easy like the contacts... pulling an alternator is not my idea of a fun weekend project! sad.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.