Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Best Car Cover
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rick L
The garage isn't ready yet, so the teener will live outside this winter. I want to invest in a good cover. What would you buy?
IronHillRestorations
From my experience they all leak, except the one in the picture biggrin.gif

I have a fair number of users that put this cover on, and then one of the "breathable" covers on over it. Every "breathable" cover that I've tried will leak when they get saturated. Why does a cover need to breath if it keeps the water out?

dmenche914
A car cover needs to breath to allow moisture to escape. trapped moisture on thepaint will cause the pain tot fail in many cases. plastic sheet left the winter on a painted car body will often cause the paint to lift. Moisture often gets in from the humidity from under teh cover (ie around the bottom)

I have kept cars outside all rainy season with a Budge brand Tyvek cover. They nare water resistant, thus keeping the big down pour water from getting in too badly yet still breathe. I never have had a paint issue with them in use, even after years of use. i have had paint probelms with other brands of "breathable " covers however.

the bright white color reflects heat very well, keeping the car cool. They out perfrom the aluminized fabric covers for heat build up (I have done side by side tests)

They usually last me two to three years outside before they degrade, and I need to replace them.

this is the best cover i have found for year around outside storage.
914-8
QUOTE(9146986 @ Nov 4 2006, 07:07 AM) *

Why does a cover need to breath if it keeps the water out?

Because you can never keep all moisture out.
anthony
Condensation gets under the cover so ideally you need a cover to breath. I used a Cal Car Cover Company "Superweave" custom cover. It is pretty awesome. Almost totally waterproof, yet breathable and light in weight.

For the ultimate outdoor cover I would probably get a Covercraft Weathershield HD cover.

Coverking also makes some good high end breathable covers. Whatever you do, get a custom fitted cover. It will hug the body of the car and won't blow off.

Chogokin
[quote Cal Car Cover Company "Superweave" quote]

agree.gif
Cal covers are AWSOME, left one on my truck when I went to Iraq, unfortunately it was stolen just before I came back.. unsure.gif
Rick L
Thanx for all your advice. I found a covercraft fitted cover that I'll press into service next month. Thanx again!

Rick
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.