Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Will MAP Gas melt brazing?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jasons
Someone repaired the coil mount on my 2.0 tin by brazing it. I want to re-do it with my MIG. Can I just melt that stuff out using the MAP gas and my BernzOMatic torch?
street legal go-kart
Yes.
smile.gif

JT
HarveyH
Brazing is a high temp form of soldering. As you form (and try to melt away) the soldered joint you actually form an alloy of the soldering (brazing) material with the base metal throughout the surface layer of the parent metal. That's why a properly formed joint flows out smoothly over the surface of the parent metal. It's very difficult to get rid of this alloy layer, and it can produce contaminated welds.
Brian_Boss
Just to add to what Harvey said, you will need to grind the area clean. You can melt some of the braze off but you will still need to finish up with a grinder to be able to weld it cleanly. BTDT.

I would just grind it all off. The torch may actually spread the braze out, increasing the area you have to grind.
jsteele22
QUOTE(HarveyH @ Nov 4 2006, 11:51 AM) *

Brazing is a high temp form of soldering. As you form (and try to melt away) the soldered joint you actually form an alloy of the soldering (brazing) material with the base metal throughout the surface layer of the parent metal. That's why a properly formed joint flows out smoothly over the surface of the parent metal. It's very difficult to get rid of this alloy layer, and it can produce contaminated welds.

Good to hear. I kinda found that out firsthand - "de-brazing" doesn't really work, at least nothing like de-soldering. De-soldering electronics is SOP, but when I tried to de-braze some pieces I only succeeded in removing a fraction of the bronze. And for that, I had to use puffs of compressed air. I ended up using a hacksaw, files, torch, air, and sandpaper to get the piece I wanted.

Why do you want to undo the brazing ? Was it done poorly ? Is it broken ? Brazing isn't as strong as welding, but its still pretty strong.

jasons
QUOTE(jsteele22 @ Nov 4 2006, 11:26 AM) *

Why do you want to undo the brazing ? Was it done poorly ? Is it broken ? Brazing isn't as strong as welding, but its still pretty strong.

I don't really have a good reason. I guess its kind of ugly? Its something I was on the fence about and now I don't know if its worth the hassle.

The alloy explanation makes sense now that I hear it. I repaired my clutch tube. It was brazed by the factory at the firewall and mine was broken. The PO did a hack job repair with bailing wire and hose clamps. I ground the brazing as much as I could but I couldn't get it all. When I MIG'd the clutch tube, the remaining brass(?) was definitely fighting me.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.