Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: what would make 914 fortunes rise....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
1970 Neun vierzehn
If some screenwriters and/or producer types scripted a film and had the lead or supporting actor drive a 914 and that movie became a critically acclaimed hit, would the 914 achieve the kind of status that Speedsters, Mustangs, Aston Martins and (heaven forbid) Trans-Am Firebirds received thanks to the proximity of James Dean, Steve McQueen, Sean Connery or Bert Reynolds?

If Brad Pitt, Russell Crowe, Johnnie Depp, etc. drove a 914 in a film that became a box office success, would the 914 become a "cult" car for the unwashed masses, demand and popularity driving up prices to unwarranted heights? Think Dustin Hoffman and the Alfa Spider he drove in the "Graduate". I also believe that Tom Cruise's motorcycle in "Top Gun" helped push the sport bike craze to increased popularity. The rank and file celebrity types have also fueled some of the sales success that Harley as enjoyed these many years.

So to you SoCal members, keep your cars out from under the noses of the Hollywood movers and shakers, lest we find ourselves looking for some other "cheap thrills"
Mountain914
IMHO, I think only "new" cars in current production fall under that catagory.
I mean, there was no rush on lead sleds when "Cobra" came out. "Elinore" was desireable, but, the remake of Gone in 60 seconds actually caused a company to reproduce them.
I think cars that aren't readily available from a dealership don't have as much of an impact. The movies you cited, weren't they all either current or recent production vehicles ?
I do beleive there would be more recognition of a 914, but doubt it would have much market drive confused24.gif
I think the mini's may have been influenced a bit by the remake of "The Italian Job", but I doubt by much.
I haven't seen anything with the Lotus Elise, but I imagine it could easily be done.
James bond might have helped sales of high $$$ cars, but the market would have been so small, who knows.

Do you watch "Shooting Cars" on the speed channel ?
Allan
I think it would be largely dependent on the type of movie and the target demographics. If it was a chick flick, i.e., Jerry Mcquirre, and Tom Cruise drove a 914 it wouldn't make much of a difference.

On the other hand, if it was geared more toward the 18 - 25 year old male population, i.e., fast and furious, it may possibly create an accelerated interest in the car.

I've never seen a 914 with 20" rims and neon lights under them before.
bd1308
but would Sean Connery be able to shift a 914?
Lou W
I always liked the car that Steve Martin drove in "Father of the Bride", (not that I'm into chick flicks), I think it was an Austin Healey. I would think that it might increase the interest of that car seeing it in the movie. driving.gif
majkos
QUOTE(bd1308 @ Nov 4 2006, 12:13 PM) *

but would Sean Connery be able to shift a 914?

av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif

NOT! av-943.gif
turboman808
If you all drove 100+ all the time like some of us you would get lots of attention biggrin.gif

One of those California 150mph chases would get people interested.
draperjojo
I saw an orange 914 on an old Hawaii Five O rerun last night..... piratenanner.gif
Kersey
I heard a company bought and will start producing the MG again. It will be interesting to see what happens to the price of the old MGA and the MGB.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.