Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: sideshifter vs. tailshifter?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dhopkins
somebody recently advised me to avoid any car that is a tailshifter. I have never driven a tailshifter. Is there a big difference b/t a tailshifter and a sideshifter? Or is it just another an urban myth?
Andyrew
post this in the main forum. IE the Garage.

This forum is for all non 914 content.

btw, the only difference is the shift linkage. Its a fairly noticable difference. and a good upgrade if you have a tailshift. But I wouldnt avoid a tailshifter car.

GeorgeRud
At this age, any good car should be considered. The side shifter cars are definately easier to shift correctly however. Any car can be converted to a side shifter though.
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Nov 4 2006, 11:03 PM) *

At this age, any good car should be considered. The side shifter cars are definately easier to shift correctly however. Any car can be converted to a side shifter though.

agree.gif I've been driving a tailshifter sence 1982 no need to be leary of it.

Like they said above it can be converted.
dmenche914
Have owned both, currenlty one of each. I frankly don't know what all the hype is ont he side shift. yeah there is some slight improvement.

The main thing on either unit is to replace the plastic shifter bushings that teh shift linkage rides in. Do that and either shifters work very nice. The stock plastic bushings if not alrady fixed, are 30+ years old,a dn likely out of round and very sloppy. The replacement is easy.

The more important thing to avoid on a 914 by far is rust. Rust can hide in several key places, the worst is under the battery area. This weakens the structure of the car, and can cause suspension collapse. beware of patch reapirs that look "good' but have not adressed underlaying strctural rust damage.

The 914 was never galvenized, and had very thin body metal. The location of the battery allows sulfuric acid to be washed down into a well (under the FI brain) that can eat intot eh rockers,a nd suspension mount point. also be ware of rust if you buy a leter car that has the rubber sound pad ont he engine side of the fire wall.

Good luck in your search
Gint
The nicest, smoothest, best shifting 914 I've ever owned was a 72 tail shifter.
scotty b
QUOTE(dmenche914 @ Nov 4 2006, 11:11 PM) *

The 914 was never galvenized, and had very thin body metal.

Actually pre-rusting, the 914 does NOT have thin metal. It is every bit as stout as any other car back then and more so than most if not all modern cars.18 gauge structural and 20 gauge body panels is nothing to be leary of.Most Am cars since the mid to late fifties are the same. Biggest difference is the Germans included free rust prohibitors in each car sold!

Oh and the spelling wizard says galvenized should be spelled galv[color=#FF0000]anized poke.gif
dmenche914
i had heard that the 914 had the thinnest metal of any production Porsche at the time. Maybe, maybe not??? anyone confirm this??? sures seems to be thinner (pre-rust) than that on my 356.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.