Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: chrome fuches
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pete-stevers
inquiring minds want to know.....
scrz914
I'm curious also. But moreso because of some rusty bumpers I have. I thought if I could get them down to metal, the pitted areas could be filled and then paint the whole thing black. They should look decent.
I have heard that removing chrome is best left to professionals though since they have all the various chemicals that work on the chromium, nickel, etc.
Sorry for the hijack.
Lou W
Maybe Joe Sharp can comment on this, he had his deep 6's chrome removed and had them polished, they look fantastic.
jmmotorsports
I have had chrome plating striped off of bumpers by a chrome plating shop. They should be able to do wheels too. They have to remove the old plating before repairing and replating parts.
iamchappy
Getting the chrome off is the easy part if they need to be fully stripped getting the nickel off is the hard part and you will have to take it to the pros.
pete-stevers
so is this a major pain in the ass....is that why chrome rims are so cheap??
i would like to take them right down to aluminum
sixnotfour
a couple of years ago it cost me 125.00 to have four chrome fuchs stripped at a chrome shop in Seattle.
McMark
BE VERY CAREFUL ABOUT WHO STRIPS CHROME FROM ALLOY WHEELS!!! Was that clear enough?

Stripping chrome involves acid. Stripping chrome from steel is easy. The acid doesn't do much to the steel, but the chrome, nickel and copper just melt away. The problem with alloy wheels is that the acid eats the alloy! An inattentive stripper can RUIN you wheels or weaken them to where they will crack. I had a long talk with Harvey Weidman who has been working on Fuchs from the beginning. He talked about how the stripper he uses will actually WATCH the stripping from alloy wheels and will often pull the wheels out of the acid with a few spots still unstripped so that the wheel will not be weakened. ALSO, a lot of wheels have corrosion that will be revealed by the stripping. Sometimes a previously unknown junk wheel will reveal itself during the stripping. This is a good thing because the wheel was weak to begin with. He estimated 25% of the chromed wheels he has stripped come back as junk.

Harvey also had a lot of bad things to say about chroming alloy wheels in the first place. Chroming involves acid as well and the same issues with stripping are involved with chroming. The wheel can be weakened during the process.

Short Version:
Stripping chrome from steel -> Okay!
Stripping chrome from alloy (aluminum, magnesium, etc) -> Be careful!
pete-stevers
thanks guys!!!
that solves that...regardless of the price i will not be buying these wheels...i don't need another set of painting rims.......
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.