Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New front bushing are real stiff!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
chris914
I put new hard front Weltmeister bushings and the Elephant self alignment kit in my car. The bushings are so tight the I cam hardly more the left control arm up and down. The right takes me standing on it with my foot to move it down.

How tight should these be? Will they loosen up as I drive? Has any one used the Weltmeister bushing before?

The bushings were real hard to get on the arms. When I did the back they were tight but I could move them up and dowm.
914-8
You need to take it apart again. That is way too tight. NO, they will NOT "loosen up" over time.

You need to take off the metal carriers that hold the bushings. Then, while the bushings are in the carriers, you need to mill them out on a lathe until you get the proper fit on the A-arm. The proper fit is when they slide onto the A-arm smootly and easily, rotate very smoothly, with little effort. Should be just light finger pressure to move them once the A-arm is on the car.

The bushings are intentionally made way oversize so they can be milled to fit. They won't work right if you don't properly fit them, and you can damage your chassis mounting points if they bind. Your ride is going to be terrible, your suspension won't work right, and they will squeak.
chris914
QUOTE(914-8 @ Nov 5 2006, 02:27 PM) *

You need to take it apart again. That is way too tight. NO, they will NOT "loosen up" over time.

You need to take off the metal carriers that hold the bushings. Then, while the bushings are in the carriers, you need to mill them out on a lathe until you get the proper fit on the A-arm. The proper fit is when they slide onto the A-arm smootly and easily, rotate very smoothly, with little effort. Should be just light finger pressure to move them once the A-arm is on the car.

The bushings are intentionally made way oversize so they can be milled to fit. They won't work right if you don't properly fit them, and you can damage your chassis mounting points if they bind. Your ride is going to be terrible, your suspension won't work right, and they will squeak.

THANKS! More work, lol.
chris914
Has anyone tried using a brake hone to make them larger?
John
What I found to work with the cheap plastic hard bushings is a cheap set of expanding hand reamers from Harbor Freight or Northern Tools.

This way you can adjust them up in size until they fit perfectly.
andys
I had to machine mine (rears) as well. I found them to be not round on the OD. Also, over-compressing the PU bushings will result in the infamous sqweeking that so many complain about.

Andys
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.