Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I added a firewall
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
URY914
I'm running an a/x this coming weekend and these folks play by the rules. The SCCA Solo rules no less. I've been running my car w/out a firewall for about 2 years now and no one has ever said a word about it during pre-race tech. But this weekend will be different. Rules say I need a bulkhead between me and the engine to protect the driver from flames(!) and liquids. OK, they're right, t's time to do it.

I got me some .040 aluminum and started with a cardboard template. It's made using two big pieces and a removable center section. I also popped on some smaller pieces to fit against the inside of the body. It mounts so that the lower edge is on the engine side of the existing car's double walled bulkhead. This way any fluids will hit it and drain to the ground instead of draining to the interior of the car. It will also act as a heat shield between me and the engine. It can get pretty hot against my back when I'm sitting in that aluminum seat on the grid.

URY914
Closer...
Aaron Cox
nice work...

no bead rolling or anything for strength? smile.gif

URY914
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Nov 5 2006, 06:00 PM) *

nice work...

no bead rolling or anything for strength? smile.gif

No need to. It's as strong as it needs to be and not one bit mo' biggrin.gif
Mike T
That looks good to go Paul. The removable center part is a good idea. I have a similar panel on my car.

Good location for the power cutoff switch too.

Mike T
URY914
QUOTE(Mike T @ Nov 6 2006, 04:40 AM) *

Good location for the power cutoff switch too.

Mike T

Thanks Mike. I like to be able to reach it from the driver's seat when I'm buckled in.

BTW, I added "trim-loc" to the top edge. It's the same stuff that is used around the door opening to cover the standing seam at the thershold plate. It finishes off a raw edge pretty well.
J P Stein
Paul
As I read the rules that cutoff switch could get you in trouble with a
tech guy.
As read them, the idea is for the workers to get at the switch should you find yourself dirty side up and in lala land. You're also missing the triangle "off switch" marker.

It's been a real pleasure picking your nits. biggrin.gif
URY914
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Nov 7 2006, 05:52 PM) *

Paul
As I read the rules that cutoff switch could get you in trouble with a
tech guy.
As read them, the idea is for the workers to get at the switch should you find yourself dirty side up and in lala land. You're also missing the triangle "off switch" marker.

It's been a real pleasure picking your nits. biggrin.gif

They can get to it if I'm upside down. Same as if it was at the base of a windshield.

True I don't have a "OFF" sticker. confused24.gif rolleyes.gif
Mike T
I knew it was in the wrong position per "the rules" but they seem to be written with a front mounted engine and battery in mind.

My battery now is in the passenger footwell but I will be moving it to the passenger seat area up against the firewall. My cutoff switch is mounted in the panel directly over the stock battery location at the base of the roll bar. Shorter cables, less weight.

Mike T
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.