Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: weird brake light problem
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Hammy
My brake lights are only working with the running lights off.

If I turn the lights ON, the brake lights appear to be on all the time though I'm not sure. But pushing the brake pedal gives me no extra light or indication of brake lights.

Also, with the lights ON, if I have my foot on the brake pedal and the engine is running, it won't turn off until I take my foot OFF the brake pedal blink.gif

What da fuch? Short somewhere?

Also, where do the transmission reverse lights wire up to? I know they're supposed to plug into the switch on the side of the tranny, but don't know where they end up?
904svo
From the description you gave here, it sounds like you have a grounding problem
with the lights. check your ground wires ( brown ones) comming out of the lights.

The reverse light switch switches ground to the backup light to light them.
ejm

If I turn the lights ON, the brake lights appear to be on all the time though I'm not sure. But pushing the brake pedal gives me no extra light or indication of brake lights.

Also, with the lights ON, if I have my foot on the brake pedal and the engine is running, it won't turn off until I take my foot OFF the brake pedal

Check that you have the correct bulbs installed.... sounds like you may have a single filament bulb in a double filament socket.

Wrong... the backup light bulbs are always grounded..... the switch supplies power... both wires come from the relay board
904svo
QUOTE(ejm @ Nov 5 2006, 06:45 PM) *

Also, with the lights ON, if I have my foot on the brake pedal and the engine is running, it won't turn off until I take my foot OFF the brake pedal

Check that you have the correct bulbs installed.... sounds like you may have a single filament bulb in a double filament socket.

Wrong... the backup light bulbs are always grounded..... the switch supplies power... both wires come from the relay board

Your right, sorry
dead horse.gif
Hammy

Would that have to do with the engine not shutting off until foot is off the brake?

do you know exactly where on the relay board?
ejm
Would that have to do with the engine not shutting off until foot is off the brake?

If the bulb is shorting the contacts the power from the tail light circuit will feed back thru the brake light wiring and keep power to the terminal 15 (key on) circuit if the brake light switch is closed.

do you know exactly where on the relay board

F4 is the backup switch... all the "T" connections are at the relay board
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.