Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: how does oil baffle attach to oil pick up?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
shaggy
i have no clue how these 2 pieces go together

haymes dosent say anthing about it and i only have the factory manual for the 17. and the -6.

can anyone explain it to me or better yet have pictures of it?

-jim
eeyore
T4, right?

The bell of the oil pickup should have a flat section with a nut(sert) attached to it. A small bolt goes through the baffle and screws into the pickup. If the pickup doesn't have a flat section with a nut, its an early, non-windage tray pickup.
McMark
agree.gif
dmenche914
You also need the four strips of rubber that go around the perimeter of the baffle plate, these in addition to the nut help hold it in place,a dn also serve to prevent the baffle from vibrating/wearing out the engine case where it meets the the case walls. These are impotant to have

Need the pick up with provision for the baffle.
need the four rubber strips
nedd the bolt/nut

Then your all set. and yes, the baffle really does help keep teh oil near teh sump when cornering. without the baffle your oil pick up can suck air in a corner. Installation of a oil pressure gage will prove this (an electric gage, as a strickly mechanical gage usually has too much lag in the reading to see the sudden zero pressure a corner can cause.

good luck
Bleyseng
Also do the mod to the tray, cutting out the metal louvers so there are holes there instead of the louvers. This drains the oil back faster as it tends to puddle on the tray right under pushrod tubes return oil to the sump.

I can find a pic later if you want.
StratPlayer
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Nov 6 2006, 08:36 AM) *

Also do the mod to the tray, cutting out the metal louvers so there are holes there instead of the louvers. This drains the oil back faster as it tends to puddle on the tray right under pushrod tubes return oil to the sump.

I can find a pic later if you want.

Can you just drill some holes in the louvers to help the oil drain better instead of cutting the louvers completely off? I just installed my baffles in the case yesterday, case is not put together.
Bleyseng
Pic of tray mods...I used a dremel to cut the louvers out.
shaggy
that looks like red vines licorice wrapped around it....

what is it and where did you get it?

thanks for the pic
-jim
bottomend
Those seals look like the ones that came out of a 1.8 I tore down recently. Are they stock? What are you using for adhesive?

BTW, Belyseng, you'da man. I follow you around all these boards and soak up your nutrients. thanks for shareing!
dmenche914
That orange rubber stuff is the stock rubber strips I mentioned in the post. Not sure about adhesive, i believe they are just pressed into place, never have seen adhesive on them. Don't use silicone RTV to glue them in. RTV has a tendacy to come loose, and can clog oil passages. if any adhesive were to be used, maybe Form a Gasket. agian, i have not found any with adhesive.

For a source of this rubber strip, try a 914 engine builder, or High Performance House..
Bleyseng
biggrin.gif The rubber gaskets are used so they stay in place better if you use Curil sealant to glue them in. Otherwise they slide all over the place when you try to install them.

this pic is from Jake....gotta give credit whenits doo.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.