Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914/6 dies with hard braking
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rudedude
I had to dynamite the brakes to save myself, or my car, the other day and the engine died. It easily restarted, air temp was 40 degrees or so, then I hit the brakes again with the same response. I thought maybe its happening due to temp but it was 60 yesterday and the same thing happened. It had never happened before tha first incident and I'm perplexed as to why it is now happening. It otherwise runs great and I hanen't done anything recently that should cause this to happen.
Any ideas?
thanks, jule
Eric_Shea
Floats? Level too low in the bowl?

Or... Weber float bowl fix. They have been known to starve under hard cornering. There is a drill + fixture available from PMO.
dmenche914
ignition wire shorted when it moved under the forces of braking? Loss of fuel, in carbs, or low tank? thats what i be thinking
Dr. Roger
i had a similar issue with hard turning and cutting out.....

it was a loose connection at the fuel pump. =-)

good luck.
rudedude
Thanks for the suggestions!
I've never had any problems under hard cornering.
The float chambers have been drilled.
I forgot to mention it has a 2.7 with s cams je 9.5 pistons
but I dont think the mods are a problem.I'll look at connections,
maybe I'll have to fill the tank.
Thanks, jule
jsteele22
Well, if it idles without cutting out, you've got a leg up. Start the engine, pop the engine lid, and grab hold of each wire, hose, vacuum line, etc. one by one and wiggle them. Especially old connectors, grab each wire individually and push/pull. Make sure each one is okay before moving on to the next. I found two major faults this way. One was a fuel line that was old, and partly folded. Enough fuel got through to idle smoothly, but at higher RPM/load, it would starve, engine would buck, unkinking the hose, engine would rev, starve, etc. I just noticed that when I wiggled the fuel line (which didn't look all that bad) it made the engine stumble. The other was one of the lines into the pressure sensor connector. When the connector was pushed onto its mate, one line would slip out just a tiny bit. If it slipped far enough, it was a total no-start/no-run situation. Every car is different, so check everything.
IronHillRestorations
How's your fuel level, and is it possible there's trash in the bottom of your tank?

I'd be sure to check the connectors on the fuel pump, the CD box, the distributor, the "coil" (it's not really a coil on a CD ignition, but I call it that anyway), and the multi pin plugs at the front and rear of the relay board in your engine compartment.
johnc
I would check the battery; hold down and connections.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.