Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Broken CV joint
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
yarin
I snapped a driveshaft Sunday during an AutoX. I haven't taken it apart yet, but I felt the disconnect between the shaft and CV joint that bolts to the tranny output plate. I don't need to invest in heavy duty shafts since my power output is around stock. Car is running dead cold 205/60/15 shot R compounds when it snapped. My guess it that its been weakened over time and just needed that extra stress to cause it to fail.

I see that pelican doesn't sell CV joints anymore.

What can I do to repair this and take care of any preventative maintinance?
Have any of you used these: http://www.pmbperformance.com/catalog/item...565/1478228.htm

Thanks
TROJANMAN
pretty cool
there was a thread on here recently about converting VW CV's for use, but i didn't kow there was a kit smile.gif
Grimstead
PMB Performance is Eric Shea's company. My sugestion would be to ask him what he thinks about this kit. Even though he is the one selling it, I would completely trust him to be honest about it.
Eric_Shea
Thanks Bill,

Here's what we've found:

Some axles (Tom Mulcrone's for example) need to have either the spring washer taken out of the equation or a small ridge taken off the CV. Others have simply slipped right on. Tom installed his "on the car" but, from the sound of it, this wasn't a leverage issue. He worked and worked to get the clip to engage to no avail.

I believe Mike is milling the ridge off all future kits just to be safe.

We have Meyle and Lobro kits available. There doesn't seem to be much if any difference at this time but I'll let Mike weigh in.

All kits are sent to his shop for machining of the dowel pins. They are shipped from there. A complete assembly can fit into a Priority Mail Flat Rate box so, 4 kits would only be $8.10 to ship. 2 kits would only be $8.10 to ship. 1 kit would only be $8.10...
dmenche914
What vehicle are these replacement CV joint original fitted to? for the dowl pin hole, what machining is done? is it a change from a bolt to a pin hole? are these CV joints after modificatin a direct slip in fit on the original 914 axles/hubs, or do the hubs/axles need modifications? and finally what is the cost of a CV joint modified to fit?

thanks
Mueller
Both kits appear to be about the same from just looking at them, no differance in the cutting/machining of them....I'd run either one....

As for repair, best bet is to replace with a new one, a used one is still going to 30 years old unless you know the history of it...as for pre. maint., just ensure it's lubed up well with the supplied grease.

I'll have to re-look at the issue that Tom had, but from all the measurements I've taken, there shouldn't have been a problem...

E,
both orders will ship out on Tuesday (tom.), sorry for the delay....I had to let my work "borrow" the PC that controls my CNC Bridgeport...I needed an older W/98 that can boot directly to DOS to run a .bat file I wrote to control an electric motor test bench setup (cheaper and easier than a PLC) and damned if the newest W/doz products won't let you do that headbang.gif

Mueller
QUOTE(dmenche914 @ Nov 6 2006, 10:40 AM) *

What vehicle are these replacement CV joint original fitted to? for the dowl pin hole, what machining is done? is it a change from a bolt to a pin hole? are these CV joints after modificatin a direct slip in fit on the original 914 axles/hubs, or do the hubs/axles need modifications? and finally what is the cost of a CV joint modified to fit?

direct fit once 2 of the thru holes are opened up for the spring pins (must use original pins, new ones are not supplied, the old ones come out easily with a "suitable" drift smash.gif )

The other additional machining is for the gasket.

59 bucks per CV kit, that includes the machining, a new boot, proper grease, new bolts....see link above for more info and a pretty picture smile.gif

thanks

Britain Smith
QUOTE(Mueller @ Nov 6 2006, 10:41 AM) *

E,
both orders will ship out on Tuesday (tom.), sorry for the delay....I had to let my work "borrow" the PC that controls my CNC Bridgeport...I needed an older W/98 that can boot directly to DOS to run a .bat file I wrote to control an electric motor test bench setup (cheaper and easier than a PLC) and damned if the newest W/doz products won't let you do that headbang.gif

I hope one of those kits are mine....E? All I hear every morning is click, click, click, click around every left hand turn.

-Britain
Eric_Shea
One be yours...
dmenche914
sounds like a screaming deal.. i ran across some time ago on a 914 i bought (before OEM's became NLA) that had some CV's with same outer diminsions, but with smaller balls and races in them. I found this when i went to repack the CV's. (I think two where small, and two where stock 914) Couldn't tell from the outside. I always assumed they were VW Bug or such CV's, I really doubt they were modified, as this car they came out of I purchased near ten years ago. I replaced them with new stock CV's at the time. I am sure I still have them boxed away. I'll needto get the part number off them.

I wouldn't recommend them in the 914, cuase I figure Porsche elected to install the larger balled version for a reason. I cuase theprior owner had them changed, and thats what he got.

anyone have any ideas if these are indeed VW Bug CV's or what??? again they where a direct bolt on, and I assume they were not modified to bolt on, as the OEM CV's were still available then, would make sense to modify a VW )or what ever) set, when OEM was plentiful, unless the fomrer owner was a supper cheapskate,and just happen to have them, and did the modifications himself.

Glad you are making replacements. That will help keep these 914's going. Once th price of replacement parts gets too high, folks often will scrap their cars, and that would be a big shame. I'm not currently in the market, for them, but it is good know know they are out there, stay healthy, and please live a long life, we need you as a parts source!!!!!!

Tobra
Hopefully, it will be a while before I need to worry about this. Got a set of axles with the CV joints off a lower mileage car. Plan to clean them up, inspect and repack so I have set for when one goes. Seems like you would want a more heavy duty CV than the bug unit. Half the power would not require as much strength, and I think people beat on their 914's, or the ones in Stockton at the Fairgrounds sure seemed to...
Mueller
QUOTE(Tobra @ Nov 6 2006, 02:45 PM) *

Hopefully, it will be a while before I need to worry about this. Got a set of axles with the CV joints off a lower mileage car. Plan to clean them up, inspect and repack so I have set for when one goes. Seems like you would want a more heavy duty CV than the bug unit. Half the power would not require as much strength, and I think people beat on their 914's, or the ones in Stockton at the Fairgrounds sure seemed to...

condering they are the same size, how do you figure they are half the strength?? screwy.gif

these have been used on at least one mild V8 conversion for over a year....

dmenche914
Me thinks he was talking about the ones with the smaller balls, and races, but same sized outer diminsions. i dont' know what car they came out of, I just assumed a Bug, with the smaller inner components, they probably are not as beefy. Could never tell the difference unless you dissasemble, and compare the ball size.

are the modified to fit the 914 ones now being sold the same sized balls as the OEM 914 ones?
Eric_Shea
Same as OEM.
dmenche914
thats good, the small balled ones had abit more wear on them than the others, but it was by no means a controled test, as I don't know their history.

Keep them NLA parts coming!!! Soon our beloved 914's will be as rare, and pricey as the great 356! Golly, how many have I owned over the years?????

wish I still had them tucked away for retirement. prices have already come up a good deal since I go into these "cheap" Porsche's!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.