Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Value
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914nerd
I have a ;72 that I recently accquired and was wondering as to the value of the car (fixed up) and the parts (should it turn out to not be worth fixing).
It has an engine and tranny from a '75 1.8 with 96 P&Cs
twin dellorto carbs
the '72 body with a fair bit of rust (I don't yet know if it is terminal or not)
the steel front and rear bumpers
the f&r valences and the bumper toppers (basically brand new - the front still in the packaging)
compufire ignition being run off a (currently unknown model) dizzy
set of 4 empi wheels in decent shape
and LOTS of miscellaneous parts
I already have a '75 1.8 (also with 96mm P&Cs) and was wondering people's opinions as to the value of this car and the prices that parts would likely sell for

Thanks,
Charles
Pat Garvey
Sorry, don't want to hurt your feelings - not worth much!

Virtually nothing is original.

My 2 cents - worthless
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Nov 6 2006, 06:36 PM) *

Sorry, don't want to hurt your feelings - not worth much!

Virtually nothing is original.

My 2 cents - worthless

Being that I have not seen the car it would be hard for me to say that virtually

nothing is original. Carbs and empi's is hardly a reason to deem your car

virtually unoriginal. I would imagine that the rest of the parts are indeed 914

parts and you should have no problem selling them here first and what is left

on Evilbay. Check on Evilbay and see what the individual parts are selling for. Again

sence I have not seen your car I don't know what shape it is in so it is hard

to say what it is worth as a whole. smile.gif
914nerd
I know that, as a whole, it has lost a lot of its possible value due to the fact that it is not original
Does anybody have some information as to parts, etc.
I am probably going to sell at least some of the parts here and I wouldn't want to rip anyone off
So, anything?
dmenche914
original smichinal (is that a word???) engien and wheels can easily be switched. Don't worry about that to much. a good running modified engine and nice Empi wheels may make the car worth more, a than a original poor running motor and stock steel wheels.

the main issue in determining if the car is worth restoring is how much time/ money you want to spend in rust repair. rust is the real big killer of 914 car values. before parting it out, or spending money on parts, you need a careful review of the amount of rust on the entire car. check the 'hell hole", under the battery, all the way down into the well. remove the outer screw/rivited on rockers, adn check the jack point, remove teh seat, and examine the floor. remove the front trunk rubber seal, and look in the channel for the ruuber, look for blisters of rust bulging the paint (near windsheild post base, body near door handles, and the sail panel (rool bar base) and the section just above the tail lights on fenders, remove the engine bay sound pad if you have one, adn inspect down low on it, check out the trunk floors. and finally do a rubberized magnet test ont eh body to check for thick bondo.

this should cover the main rust areas. One or two areas may be bad, but if any is very major, or most areas are rusty, the car may be a better parts car, as a better body could be found for less than the repair cost. however some folks like the challenge, and do it them selfs.

not sure on the current prices, but OEM bumper topers in good shape are worth a bit, empi wheels are nice, the VW crowd like them also.

if the engine and tranny runs, they can be sold, they will sell for more if the buyer can test drive it to prove they work. of course location is important for the big items. parts will sell for more in a major city in calif, than out in fairbanks alaska as there are fewer buyedrs up there, and shipping costs tot eh lower states would be high

hope you have minimal rust, adn can save it. al in all carbs and empi rims are not that bad. even if your car was all mathcing numbers original, but very rusty, it may not be worth much at all, except for parts

good luck
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.