Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What keeps you from what you want to do
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
jwalters
[size=7] OK guys and gals, no need to respond personally (in writing) if you want to remain anonymous.

I am asking this question because it is valid, and I believe I already know the outcome but would greatly appreciate your candor.

The truly savvy of you know full well where I am going with these polls.

PLEASE, AS MANY PEOPLE AS POSSIBLE RESPOND!!!

Thank you!!
VaccaRabite
1) money
2) my car is a 76, so i have to deal with PA emissions (actually is a good thing towards the money part...)

Zach
jwalters
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Nov 6 2006, 07:05 PM) *

1) money
2) my car is a 76, so i have to deal with PA emissions (actually is a good thing towards the money part...)

Zach

How stringent are the requirements??
Allan
I voted that I have too many open commitments but that is actually why number 1 can apply as well.

Money is also an obstical.

The money is actually there but, I have a partner in life that does'nt always share the same viewpoint when it comes to the car.

I want to do many things to my car but, I have to hold off because; 1, Work intrudes and 2, I have to account for every dime spent to reach my goal.....
jwalters
QUOTE(Headrage @ Nov 6 2006, 07:17 PM) *

I voted that I have too many open commitments but that is actually why number 1 can apply as well.

Money is also an obstical.

The money is actually there but, I have a partner in life that does'nt always share the same viewpoint when it comes to the car.

I want to do many things to my car but, I have to hold off because; 1, Work intrudes and 2, I have to account for every dime spent to reach my goal.....

So you are saying if the bolt-ons were made easily installable AND reasonable, you would bite then??
Jeroen
finding time (and energy) to work on the car is the biggest obstacle

because I can't do everything myself, finding people who can help me fabbing custom stuff and can think 'outside the box' is also difficult
so I 'get stuck' on a regular basis...

oh, and then there's money laugh.gif

turboman808
Society mostly. I wanted to be a profesional killer but my family friends and cops said no.

OH you mean cars??? Nothing really. Just don't need to do everything all at once.
grantsfo
I have always wanted to be a surf bum, but it doesnt pay well enough to keep my 914 running. biggrin.gif
bondo
I never have time to work on my 914 because I spend so much time answering polls! biggrin.gif
GaroldShaffer
To be honest. If I was single making the money I do now I would have the 3.6 L monster 914 that I always wanted along with a few other cars on my must have list. I would be living ina 10K square foot building with a cot and the biggest flat screen tv and the building would be packed wall to wall with my cars. biggrin.gif

I'm lucky that my wife is cool with the 914 / Porsche/ SCCA hobby. It helps that I don't use "our" money for any of it. I sell parts, trade labor .... to get the $$ for my 914 habit.
jwalters

QUOTE(bondo @ Nov 6 2006, 07:55 PM) *

I never have time to work on my 914 because I spend so much time answering polls! biggrin.gif

laugh.gif So YOU'RE the ONE who replies to every subject!!!!! poke.gif
Mueller
QUOTE(turboman808 @ Nov 6 2006, 04:37 PM) *

Society mostly. I wanted to be a profesional killer but my family friends and cops said no.

agree.gif ....luckly Gross Pointe Blank came out after I started school ar15.gif

Click to view attachment

OH you mean cars??? Nothing really. Just don't need to do everything all at once.

jd66921
Money's my major thing. $1000 to keep my wife's car running really ate into the
budget!

Lack of parts is the other thing. I do not live near other 914 owners, so I have to
dig for the few parts I can afford! Wish I could buy a parts car, but that is too
expensive/shipping is hard. People have been great though, sharing some of their
private stock with me!!

Time is the least of my issues. I am retired/disabled, so I have the time, finally!
Not always the skills any more though!

Jeff
Katmanken

"A man is only allowed so much fun in life.....

When he exceeds his allotment of fun,

A women steps in...

When you were young, it was your mother telling you to stop what you were doing...

When you were older, it was your girlfriend telling you to STAY AWAY FROM OTHER WOMEN........

And now, it is your wife telling you .........."

Rando Eakes

For a 914 it's your wife telling you....

a) GET AWAY FROM THAT RUSTY PIECE OF JUNK....
cool.gif No, we don't need new car parts, we need a new table and chairs
c) that smell of paint is giving me a headache
d) that smell of brake cleaner is...
e) that smell of engine cleaner is.....
f) the smell of bondo is...
g) stop banging on that car, it is giving me a.....
h) YOU WASHED WHAT IN THE DISHWASHER!!!!!
i) YOU HEATED UP YOUR HEADS IN MY OVEN?????
j) You love that car more than me....
k) NO, WE dont need ANY more tools, you just bought channel lock pliars two years ago, you can use THEM to remove the trailing arm bolts.....
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(kwales @ Nov 6 2006, 07:31 PM) *

For a 914 it's your wife telling you....

a) GET AWAY FROM THAT RUSTY PIECE OF JUNK....
cool.gif No, we don't need new car parts, we need a new table and chairs
c) that smell of paint is giving me a headache
d) that smell of brake cleaner is...
e) that smell of engine cleaner is.....
f) the smell of bondo is...
g) stop banging on that car, it is giving me a.....
h) YOU WASHED WHAT IN THE DISHWASHER!!!!!
i) YOU HEATED UP YOUR HEADS IN MY OVEN?????
j) You love that car more than me....
k) NO, WE dont need ANY more tools, you just bought channel lock pliars two years ago, you can use THEM to remove the trailing arm bolts.....

Funny... my wife says... "Quit fooling with that Six and Fix MY 1.8

Howard
You missed the only accurate response: Your self.

Want it? Try harder, stop whining, start working.
Or just blame someone/something else for your shortcomings. It's all the rage today.

jwalters
QUOTE(Howard @ Nov 6 2006, 08:55 PM) *

Or just blame someone/something else for your shortcomings. It's all the rage today.

Everyone, may I have your attention please. We have a distinguished gueast with us tonight. It gives me great pleasure to introduce to you all:

BORAT!

Welcome Borat to our little group - I am sure you make plenty great astonishment with hand party from cultural learnings of glorious contry Kazakhstan!

Great success Borat! Great success indeed!
rjames
School and $. There's always more important stuff to spend $ on that will have more impact in my life for a longer period of time. Although that doesn't mean I don't want to spend $ on the 914, but there's only so much of it to go around.

When I start drooling over car parts and upgrades like putting in a six, I try and remind myself that I'm lucky to be able to afford a 2nd play car like the 914 to begin with, let alone one that runs!

drew365
I have no problem upgrading my 914. I have trouble keeping up with the damage I do to it running it at the track. Actually, I'm running out of upgrade ideas. Maybe I'll slowly start to bring it back to stock so I can participate in the Concourse Forum. av-943.gif
SGB
It neck and neck: time v. money!
914s and women, my reason to drink.
Too many open ended projectS- NOT ENOUGH $$$ , TIME.

Some times I think I'm over my head with the amount of $ and time I've put in to
my personal hobbies sad.gif
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(jwalters @ Nov 6 2006, 07:06 PM) *

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Nov 6 2006, 07:05 PM) *

1) money

Zach

How stringent are the requirements??

If the car is post 74 (flat cut off, not a rolling date, as far I I have been able to learn) the car must have a cat and a smog pump. The requirements differ from county to county - York only requires a visual check. Other counties require dyno/sniffer. I may be able to get around that by calling it a historic - but I have asked three different officials about it, and gotten three different answers. I should have just gotten a pre-74, but, well, I got excited and jumped when I could. Now I have too much body work done on it to want to sell it for a older one and start from scratch.

Zach
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(Howard @ Nov 6 2006, 05:55 PM) *

Being that I was in an accident at work that was not my fault and because of it

my spine was distroyed, I went thru two major spinal surgerys but they could not

fix me. Because I have not been able to get back to work I do not have the

money to do the car as fast as I would like.... I guess that is my Shortcoming. dry.gif
SGB
I answered "I have too many committments to deal with" because that fits closest. I have too many committments SO I deal with 'em. Ya just gotta do shit. Shadows don't form under me- just can't keep up I guess...
Andyrew
I have all the parts already... (10k in USED/NEW parts..)

I just dont have the time...
Howard
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Nov 6 2006, 07:34 PM) *

my spine was distroyed, I went thru two major spinal surgerys but they could not

money to do the car as fast as I would like.... I guess that is my Shortcoming. dry.gif

Sincere apologies. Having a bad day that doesn't sound so bad after hearing about yours.
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(Howard @ Nov 6 2006, 10:12 PM) *

QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Nov 6 2006, 07:34 PM) *

Sincere apologies. Having a bad day that doesn't sound so bad after hearing about yours.

smile.gif Hope your day gets better.
DEC
Not enough time......i.e. house, 914-6, job
VegasRacer
I don't belong on this thread. biggrin.gif driving.gif smilie_flagge24.gif cool.gif burnout.gif
URY914
I was waiting for someone to develop a reliable -6 with 200hp.

But I got tired of waiting so I got a -4 from Jake.

Now I'm life's work is complete. cool_shades.gif
Brew
I've simply got too many other projects, as well as financial responsibilities, to dump money into this car, for now. And while I dont think most of the upgrades available today are overpriced, cheaper is better!!! Quality not withstanding, of course.
IanStott
I have the time as I am retired but my budget is stretched to the limit, 2 in University and one in braces!! Glad I can buy a Tim's now and then! Light at the end of the tunnel though is getting the body and paint done by the guy around here who is the best, expensive but I want it done right. Could have gone the bondo and guntape route and still be driving around but I really want to do a nice restoration, and end up with a teener to be proud of. I have purchased a lot of parts, all quality stuff, body parts from restoration design, drivetrain stuff from Jake, and some club members were very kind and generous and either donated or gave me an excellant deal on things. I hope to be able to return the favour by doing the same for other club members when my project is finished. I am not complaining about it being on jack stands sure I would like to be at the stage where I could be driving around, but I enjoy having my 914 and like working it. I think everyone needs a hobby or a project.

Ian Stott
Moncton
JmuRiz
Money, followed by time are the biggest hurdles.
If money were no object I'd have a sweet big 4, or be on the list for a RAT turbo motor (what can I say I'd still love to be the oddball with the VW motor). Then would come a complete repaint and button everything back up.

Right now a mortgage and a garage project are taking my money. Someday I'll be able to do those things, just will take TIME. At least that's more time to dream...
race914
I don't have 3000 psi concrete in my garage so I can't install a 2 post lift!

It's been my speedbump recently. Need a couple 4'x4' 3000 psi pads put in so I can install the lift to go foward with my projects....

So that leads to the $ issue
dmenche914
injuries prevent most work on the car, and money is short. time to dream for a better 914 day ahead.
jsteele22
QUOTE(kwales @ Nov 6 2006, 06:31 PM) *

"A man is only allowed so much fun in life.....

I honestly can't remeber if this was a true story or a joke, but many years ago my dad told me he met a guy who believed the statement above, or, rather, the reverse : "A man is only alotted so much misery in his life." So he bought a used Renault, and everything else worked out great.
andys
Time and money, though I'm not sure of the order. If I had money, then that would buy me some time; I'm so confused!!!!!

Andys
Sammy
I'm not gonna vote in the poll because I want to remain anonymous wink.gif
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif

You young guy,s have a big advantage on us older guys. YOUTH With me it,s physical
Back ( like Howard) so I have to hire everything done. Got a great guy for that
,money is not the reason eather, It has always been hard for me to spend money on myself. The family always came first, but I am trying to get better at this. Don't know if I made myself clear. Dave slap.gif
Air_Cooled_Nut
Why isn't "Money" in the poll? That's my obstical! I'll create time by sleeping less biggrin.gif There are many times I would like to not need sleep, it seems such a waste of time confused24.gif
jwalters
QUOTE(Air_Cooled_Nut @ Nov 7 2006, 04:18 PM) *

Why isn't "Money" in the poll? That's my obstical! I'll create time by sleeping less biggrin.gif There are many times I would like to not need sleep, it seems such a waste of time confused24.gif

WTF.gif bravo.gif

j/k - biggrin.gif
Mike D.
my biggest obstacle is the wife and kids. Without them, I could take on the World! biggrin.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Howard @ Nov 6 2006, 10:55 PM) *

Hold on, now!

You mean I should actually WORK for something I want? But...everyone else get's it handed to them!

Try harder? Why, when I can have it handed to me for nada. I just want my piece of that big pie everyone else gets without working for it.

Whine? Oh baby, I can whine with the best of them! My motton is "whine not whine" - gets attention, doesn't it?

Try harder? You have to be kidding! Why should I try, when I can get it handed to me, without working for it. All I have to do is whine.

Oh, and when I don't get my way, because I'm a sloth, it's your damned fault. I want everything you've worked hard for because it's owed to me. After all, I'm entitled!

You're from California? Wow, I like you!
scotty b
Amazing how we turn EVERYTHING political around here isn't it?

Not that I don't agree with you BUT

popcorn[1].gif
JPB
I wait for things to come around that are reasonably priced. Unfortunately, I'm running out of room. sad.gif
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Nov 7 2006, 03:59 PM) *

QUOTE(Howard @ Nov 6 2006, 10:55 PM) *

Hold on, now!

You mean I should actually WORK for something I want? But...everyone else get's it handed to them!

Try harder? Why, when I can have it handed to me for nada. I just want my piece of that big pie everyone else gets without working for it.

Whine? Oh baby, I can whine with the best of them! My motton is "whine not whine" - gets attention, doesn't it?

Try harder? You have to be kidding! Why should I try, when I can get it handed to me, without working for it. All I have to do is whine.

Oh, and when I don't get my way, because I'm a sloth, it's your damned fault. I want everything you've worked hard for because it's owed to me. After all, I'm entitled!

You're from California? Wow, I like you!

finger.gif
quik914
I just did it. Forgot about all the excuses, and it was worth it. Almost paid for in full. But then again, I don't have a wife.......
majkos
QUOTE(jd66921 @ Nov 6 2006, 05:18 PM) *

Money's my major thing. $1000 to keep my wife's car running really ate into the
budget!

Lack of parts is the other thing. I do not live near other 914 owners, so I have to
dig for the few parts I can afford! Wish I could buy a parts car, but that is too
expensive/shipping is hard. People have been great though, sharing some of their
private stock with me!!

Time is the least of my issues. I am retired/disabled, so I have the time, finally!
Not always the skills any more though!

Jeff

Yeah you crazy guy! clap56.gif
I've put your motor in the back yard storage.
Easy to get to.
RON S.

1.)Money
2.)Time

Short & Sweet

Ron
jimkelly
DELETED COMMENTS
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.