Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Car Wheel Dollie
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
chilli
I am looking a four of these and wondering which ones would be best for the teener. I think the casters are the most important part.

Any help - is appreciated.

Thanks

mike driving.gif driving.gif
dflesburg
harbor freight
race914
Hi Chilli!

I also have the Harbor Freight units and they work fine. Watch for the sales....

Greg

P.S. Tricia and I are going to try and make more GGR Time Trials in 2007. Will we be seeing you if we do?????
Cap'n Krusty
I have a pretty large and pretty flat shop floor, and I bought a set of the HF ones. They're far better as engine roll around storage than as wheel dollies. PITA, as far as I'm concerned. Better than nothing, I guess, but not much. The Cap'n
jasons
I used them to put a 914 into a place where it otherwise couldn't go. Basically, they let me push the car laterally into a small space. They worked good for my needs at the time.
drgchapman
Check these: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/disp...temnumber=94682

chilli
QUOTE(drgchapman @ Nov 7 2006, 10:11 AM) *

Nice lead, now the next "dumb" ???? wonder if they will roll under the car. Have to go home and measure. Set up for autox.

Do you know the measurement from the ground to top of caster bolt??

I was looking at similiar ones last night much more expensive

mike
driving.gif
chilli
QUOTE(chilli @ Nov 7 2006, 10:49 AM) *

QUOTE(drgchapman @ Nov 7 2006, 10:11 AM) *

Nice lead, now the next "dumb" ???? wonder if they will roll under the car. Have to go home and measure. Set up for autox.

Do you know the measurement from the ground to top of caster bolt??

I was looking at similiar ones last night much more expensive

mike
driving.gif

Darn
all I had to do was read the product manual

4” Diameter x 1-3/8” Wide x 4-3/4” Total Height

mike
aveale
not as easy to push the car around as you would think.

they are better than nothing for sure.
T
type11969
You can make them pretty easily and cheaply if you have a welder. Some angle iron and some beefy casters . . . done. Could even be bolted together I suppose.
Brett W
I have a set and have used them on several different cars. You have to make sure the casters are well greased they don't come with grease fittings, but you can pick up a complete set for about 80$ on sell.

I used wood to tie all of them together for rolling a tub around. They also work well to move engines and trannies around.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(jasons @ Nov 7 2006, 08:47 AM) *

I used them to put a 914 into a place where it otherwise couldn't go. Basically, they let me push the car laterally into a small space. They worked good for my needs at the time.

Some of us older folks actually know how to parallel park ......................... The Cap'n
jasons
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Nov 7 2006, 12:23 PM) *

QUOTE(jasons @ Nov 7 2006, 08:47 AM) *

Some of us older folks actually know how to parallel park ......................... The Cap'n

LOL, not physically possible where I stored this car. Its hard to explain but you just have to take my word.
Air_Cooled_Nut
The cheap HF ones I have are better than nothing and work just fine. Work well for moving the tranny and engine, too.
jd74914
QUOTE(type11969 @ Nov 7 2006, 01:55 PM) *

You can make them pretty easily and cheaply if you have a welder. Some angle iron and some beefy casters . . . done. Could even be bolted together I suppose.

I'll be doing that this weekend if I have any break from studying. I'm just welding angle iron together and using some heavy duty castors that I pulled off of stuff at the dump. Since angle iron from the dump is free they essentially cost nothing to build. smile.gif
type11969
Yeah, the ones I built were from 3X3X.25 angle sitting around the shop here at work . . . ridiculously overkill but functional.
JmuRiz
Wonder if the original Go-Jacks are any better than the knock offs?
http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/search/...p;keyword=GOJAK
drgchapman
I just stopped by harbor Freight at lunch to check out these dollies. They are large! Looks like they weigh in excess od 40 pounds. I'd pass on these. I'm now thinking of putting m welder to use........just as I sent it home with JP two nights ago..........

QUOTE(drgchapman @ Nov 7 2006, 09:11 AM) *

chilli
QUOTE(drgchapman @ Nov 7 2006, 03:09 PM) *

I just stopped by harbor Freight at lunch to check out these dollies. They are large! Looks like they weigh in excess od 40 pounds. I'd pass on these. I'm now thinking of putting m welder to use........just as I sent it home with JP two nights ago..........

QUOTE(drgchapman @ Nov 7 2006, 09:11 AM) *

smile.gif Look like they will work, just order 4 of them, can also use them on the Boxster.

BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif
I just got 4 of H.F. inexpensive ones , on sale here. $ 85.00 included 7.5% sales tax. Work fine on my 914. Dave slap.gif
spare time toys
I have an older set of ones from Summit racing. They are like a tub and you can set a jackstand in them and roll the car around on jackstands. I have had Corvettes, an old 73 Mustang, pick up trucks, and the 914 on them. Il love them I can move anything I put on them with out help. They also work good to hold tools in while you work in the area. This is them holding an old engine.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
chilli
I go the harbor ones, yep are large but work great. Now push the 914 up against cabinets in the garage. More walking room between the two porsches.

Roll 914 back towards middle so I can get out lawn mover and get in cabinets as needed. Do not have to get in the cabinets very much or would become a hassle. do not like to start 914 just to back it out. And since driveway slopes have to start it to get back in.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.