Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Excellence Magazine
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rwjames
Just received the December issue of Excellence. Paul Sayegh is starting a 914 3.6 project and will be reporting on it over the next year or so, until the project is completed.

Should be an interesting project. He is going for modern dependability with a 993 3.6, slight brake and suspension upgrades. Not going to be a race car, just a powerful, fun driver.

Pick up the December 06 issue for his first installment if you haven't seen it yet.
Brad Roberts
He is a member here and posts regularly biggrin.gif

B
SirAndy
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Nov 7 2006, 11:51 AM) *

He is a member here and posts regularly biggrin.gif

yupp, agree.gif

that reminds me, i need to answer his last PM ...
biggrin.gif Andy
RON S.
I've had Paul call me and question me on some of the how's and why's on my project.

He's a nice guy,and it's nice to see one of us get some national recognition for our efforts. beer.gif beer.gif

Ron
East coaster
A 3.6 powerful...fun...dependable street car??? That sounds absurd, who would do that?? happy11.gif
Brad Roberts
Pete probably noticed his project here and contacted him about it (guessing)

The story behind it being his daughters car when it is done.. has some good reading behind it.

B
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Nov 7 2006, 04:57 PM) *

Pete probably noticed his project here and contacted him about it (guessing)

The story behind it being his daughters car when it is done.. has some good reading behind it.

B

Paul will probably comment on this himself but he and Pete were hooked up by someone in the Bay Area after Paul sourced some parts from the guy and hearing about the project hooked Paul and Pete up. The guy with the GT lids I think.
I got to scan the article before press a month or so ago at Pauls house and he has a great easy to read writing style. The car looks great and is very well engineered.
The daughter project is actually a separate article. It looks great too!
My dog Chloe if she could talk would still be talking about how much fun it would be to live at Pauls house! 'cept for that pesky neighbor dog!!!
rick 918-S

<< << << << << assimilate.gif
PRS914-6
OK, here is the story......

I have not mentioned the articles because the object of the project is to build a car at home and document the process, frustrations, rewards and decisions that the average guy goes through. If everyone knew about the Excellence articles, including the vendors, it might risk the accuracy of what we as car builders go through on a project like this. The articles will represent my actual experiences (good and bad). The articles also represent what I am building. Others may and will build differently based on their own opinions, goals and budget. I'm certainly not an expert, just an average guy building the car of my dreams.

I want to emphasize the fact that the car is NOT a "check-book" car that we see so many times. All work is done by myself at home (except the paint) I did one -6 conversion 20 years ago so I think I represent an "average" guy.

So you are thinking why me? Me too! It just kinda happened by luck. The car was well under way when I was told that Excellence might be interested in the build. At first I was not interested but after thinking about it a couple of weeks I changed my mind and a lunch was arranged with Pete Stout. Only Pete could tell you why I was selected to do this but I suspect he knew the car would get finished, it is a project that represents a home builder and I could personally write and submit the articles giving it a personal touch.

So, that's it! Obviously, we just published part 1 (scheduled to go every other issue) and the car is quite a bit ahead of the articles so stay tuned.

Thanks to all those on this forum for your help, ideas and expertise!

Here is the "Daughter Project" Thread Click Here
horizontally-opposed
Hey all,

Sorry, I've been lurking a lot lately and busy with a rather large issue...

Believe it or not, I *do* have a few contacts here and there. biggrin.gif This time, though, it's an old friend, Ernie King -- whom some of you might remember for his amazing silver 914-6 "GT" 3.8 -- who deserves the credit for the introduction.

15 years later, Ernie and I still have lunch regularly, and he thought Paul might be fun to bring along one day -- since he was working on a 914-6 project. Lunch turned out to be great and, as we kicked ideas around and I got a feel for Paul, it became obvious that he could become a contributor -- partly because of the kind of "get-it-done" guy he is, partly because of the type of project, partly because he's NOT just another shill in the biz, and partly cause I just liked him.

I think the idea of making money on the articles to offset the project's considerable costs didn't hurt, either. happy11.gif

I'm looking forward to watching the project progress and it's great to have (yet another) 914 article (or 10-15 in this case) in the book.

I hope you guys will enjoy the series!!!! beerchug.gif

pete
Martin Baker
To this day Mr. Kings 914-6 is the nicest 914 I have ever seen. Period. What a great car. Only thing I would change would be the wheels. That car and RSR finsh Fuchs. with Silver. Awesome.
GWN7
Sounds like a interesting project, can't wait till my copy arrives, but as Novembers copy just arrived today I might have to wait awhile....... smile.gif
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(GWN7 @ Nov 8 2006, 08:11 PM) *

Sounds like a interesting project, can't wait till my copy arrives, but as Novembers copy just arrived today I might have to wait awhile....... smile.gif

USPS bulk rate just kills me. I am SO sorry, but it's something we just cannot fix.

We've tried EVERYTHING, short of jacking the subscription price through the roof to get the copies to readers via first-class mail...

Or FedEx! biggrin.gif

John
I was waiting for this to go public.

Now if I just got Excellence Magazine......
GWN7
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Nov 8 2006, 08:25 PM) *

USPS bulk rate just kills me. I am SO sorry, but it's something we just cannot fix.

We've tried EVERYTHING, short of jacking the subscription price through the roof to get the copies to readers via first-class mail...

Or FedEx! biggrin.gif

Pete,

np, It's like being a kid and finding your Christmas present in November and not being able to play with it till Dec 25th....I know by the time it gets off the plane and is tranfered to the trucks or ox cart to cross the border and then gets loaded into canoes for distribution to the dogsled teams can take awhile.........

BTW How's the truck running? biggrin.gif beerchug.gif
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(GWN7 @ Nov 8 2006, 08:50 PM) *

QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Nov 8 2006, 08:25 PM) *

Or FedEx! biggrin.gif

Pete,

np, It's like being a kid and finding your Christmas present in November and not being able to play with it till Dec 25th....I know by the time it gets off the plane and is tranfered to the trucks or ox cart to cross the border and then gets loaded into canoes for distribution to the dogsled teams can take awhile.........

BTW How's the truck running? biggrin.gif beerchug.gif

The truck is gud.... biggrin.gif Just put Euro M030 in it a couple of weeks ago and then made the mistake of driving a frickin' taildragger.

Looks like another one of those *rear-engined* trucks is in my future, but not until kids force me to "get practical."

beerchug.gif

pete
Jake Raby
Hey Pete...
Call me tomorrow if you get a chance.... I want to pass something by you..
East coaster
popcorn[1].gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.