Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Water pumper a/c & heat
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Chris914n6
One of my SEMA connections is willing to work with me to develop a package for the converted 914's. Pretty much building it for my car and hoping to increase their volume thus lowering my bill.

The unit will go where the factory blower assembly is. Heat to floor vents and windshield, a/c to side vents, and defrost if I can get the hoses to clear.
The pic is their standard unit, ours will have changes made requiring new ABS to be molded. The control panel will be made so to fit in the stock location and is back lit. Blower will feed from interior.
Unit will need either engine vacuum or a vacuum pump of some sorts to control flaps.

Expecting the unit and controls to be around $500 with decent volume. Hoses and fittings, condensor, drier, and compressor at extra cost.

Thanks,

Chris
http://nissan6.914resources.com

GWN7
Any idea what a compleat system would go for? (Hoses and fittings, condensor, drier, and compressor)
Air_Cooled_Nut
After experiencing time in a friend's Chrysler and driving my Jetta, I gotta say, the A/C needs to be shared with the climate functions, not independent. The climate options show are not good. The three controls should be air direction (floor, floor & sides, sides, sides & windshield, windshield), temperature (outside air to straight heat from the exchangers), and A/C. The air also needs to get chilled by the A/C before it gets heated. This allows the air to get dried before heated and thus significantly reduces in-car fogging.

Well, that's an ideal set up smile.gif
Rusty
uhhhh... The poll talks about conversions... obviously water cooled conversions (nissan, V8, etc).
Chris914n6
QUOTE(GWN7 @ Nov 8 2003, 08:25 PM)
Any idea what a compleat system would go for? (Hoses and fittings, condensor, drier, and compressor)

$800-900 is typical.
Compressor will depend on your engine.
$200 of that is for a new Sanden 508 compressor.
I know the A/C hoses can get up to $3.50 a foot. It was 25 feet of hose for my heater.

I will know more when I get closer to a completed prototype.

Chris
Chris914n6
QUOTE(Air_Cooled_Nut @ Nov 9 2003, 08:55 AM)
After experiencing time in a friend's Chrysler and driving my Jetta, I gotta say, the A/C needs to be shared with the climate functions, not independent. The climate options show are not good. The three controls should be air direction (floor, floor & sides, sides, sides & windshield, windshield), temperature (outside air to straight heat from the exchangers), and A/C. The air also needs to get chilled by the A/C before it gets heated. This allows the air to get dried before heated and thus significantly reduces in-car fogging.

Well, that's an ideal set up smile.gif

I know what you mean by ideal. The only available aftermarket systems are designed with Hot Rods in mind, behind dash inside car. The controls are limited in their function and opposite Japanese/German design. Flaps are handled by an on/off vacuum switch. It's all pretty low tech. I'll skip the details since I'm doing mine differently.

Thanks for the input.

Chris
Brad Roberts
Did you meet Jack Chisenhall ??

B
Chris914n6
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Nov 27 2003, 12:19 AM)
Did you meet Jack Chisenhall ??

B

I don't think so. Where would I know him from?

Chris
Chris914n6
Starting to look like I will be modifying the stock controls. I wanted a variable heater valve and an independant A/C switch. The stock throw of the heater cable matches up perfectly with the heater valve I found at Autozone. The panel will have a new face, but the only lighted parts will be "COLD", "HOT", and the a/c switch.

Top pic for reference to the original. Lower is the concept so far.

Give me some feedback. chatsmiley.gif

Chris
dwillouby
Im interested in a heat/defrost only unit. Dont really need a/c. Have you checked the systems Renagade offers?
David
Chris914n6
QUOTE(dwillouby @ Nov 28 2003, 08:25 AM)
Im interested in a heat/defrost only unit. Dont really need a/c. Have you checked the systems Renagade offers?
David

Last time I was at RH (about 1.5 years ago) they were using off the shelf Vintage Air replicas. The a/c unit replaced the glovebox and required serious cutting/fabbing to the wall. The heater only unit involved cutting a hole in the wall to mount the fan at the center console location. I want something more OE like, so I'm making one to fit.

The package I'm putting together can be run without the a/c core being plugged in but it is still overall pricey for heat only. Check the Nissan6 site for what I did as a cheap option to heat only. Stock fan, stock controls, some fab work.

Chris
Chris914n6
Updates...

Step 1. Take it apart haha

Not in the photo is the honking blower. At 8" x 8.5" x 5" it just ain't going to fit.
Chris914n6
Mockups of smaller Spal blowers...
7" x 7" x 8" and 4.5" x 4.5" x 5"

BTW- the blue stuff is called Coroplast. It's like corogated cardboard but made of plastic. Used to make cheap temporary outdoor signs. Under $10 for a 4' x 8'.
John2kx
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Nov 28 2003, 03:35 PM)
QUOTE(dwillouby @ Nov 28 2003, 08:25 AM)
David

Last time I was at RH (about 1.5 years ago) they were using off the shelf Vintage Air replicas. The a/c unit replaced the glovebox and required serious cutting/fabbing to the wall. The heater only unit involved cutting a hole in the wall to mount the fan at the center console location. I want something more OE like, so I'm making one to fit.

The package I'm putting together can be run without the a/c core being plugged in but it is still overall pricey for heat only. Check the Nissan6 site for what I did as a cheap option to heat only. Stock fan, stock controls, some fab work.

Chris

Chris,

I purchased my heater/ac system from Renegade last year and it all fits under dash. Similar in size to what you would see in a 65ish mustang. I did see their installation where they fab a box in glovebox area..........it cleaned up the interior space required but was too much work for me.

My car is running with a/c compressor installed but have yet to install the remaining parts (dryer, blower, condensor etc.). This is the next stage in my project.

Look forward to seeing your progress.

John
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.