Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: O/T I NEED WORK
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jwalters
biggrin.gif Hi guys, networking here.

If anybody can point me in a direction, or know of a quality business hiring, or someone who owns a business who needs quality work (primarily mechanics, aviation -or- auto) in the fort lauderdale / west palm / miami areas, would you pass it on???

I was doing aviation maintenance contracting, but all the contracts are far, far from home and just won't work for me - and I see crunch time around the bend.

Not asking for a hand-out, just if anyone knows of anything at all -

I sincerely appreciate it!
HeloMech
I know a guy who works at a place in Florida. Not sure where exactly. He flies cobra's and hueys. I know they have mechanics there. Not sure if they're hiring or not. Send me a PM with your info and I'll forward it over to him. See if they, or anyone else they know of, can help out.
jwalters
QUOTE(HeloMech @ Nov 7 2006, 06:44 PM) *

I know a guy who works at a place in Florida. Not sure where exactly. He flies cobra's and hueys. I know they have mechanics there. Not sure if they're hiring or not. Send me a PM with your info and I'll forward it over to him. See if they, or anyone else they know of, can help out.

In process of PM'ing you right now -

Even if it may not lead anywhere - - Thank you brother -

beerchug.gif
Allan
Too bad you're in Florida. If you ever decide to relocate I could give you a job.

It's not a mechanic job but heavy electrical construction. I would even pay for your enrolment and tuition into a 4 year electrical apprenticeship program.

Our journeyman electricians make about 60k a year not including over-time and benefits...
jwalters
QUOTE(Headrage @ Nov 7 2006, 06:51 PM) *

Too bad you're in Florida. If you ever decide to relocate I could give you a job.

It's not a mechanic job but heavy electrical construction. I would even pay for your enrolment and tuition into a 4 year electrical apprenticeship program.

Our journeyman electricians make about 60k a year not including over-time and benefits...

WOW! Damn nice of you 'rage! Curious as to where you are located at? Not much educated on that type of electrical work, but am certainly not electrical illterate. ( our planes operate 60 KVA radars, up to 40 miles of electrical wiring and conduit, etc, etc)

Am curious about it - beerchug.gif

Quick edit - I guess it is Bakersfield CA, huh? Duh - I have family in Davis, San Diego, Needles -
HeloMech
Got the PM. sent the info over to the guy in florida. He bounces around between Florida, Puerto Rico and the Philipines... depending on what they've got going on that week... lol. He's usually pretty good about getting back to me.

http://www.urscorp.com/Careers/currentjobopenings.php

Looks like LSI is hiring aircraft mechanics in Clearwater, FL. They pay about $23-$24 for their mechanics.
jwalters
Kool dude, thanks - idea.gif Phillippeans huh? hmmmmmm
Brad Roberts
I dont know you, but I dont like to see fellow teeners without a job. Can you do fab work? I know of several pro racing teams out of FL that always need decent fab guy's.

What about all these private "time share" small jet places??

I know Arizona is loaded with them.

B
jwalters
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Nov 7 2006, 07:47 PM) *

I dont know you, but I dont like to see fellow teeners without a job. Can you do fab work? I know of several pro racing teams out of FL that always need decent fab guy's.

What about all these private "time share" small jet places??

I know Arizona is loaded with them.

B

Hi Brad - Thank you for the kind words. I have been trying for sometime to network with Champion in West Palm. Very tight-nit group to say the least. All of my fab work is in aluminum. Basically I rebuild jets. Currently I am building a little single seat ultra-high performance airplane. Tremendous amounts of one-off fabbing for just about the entire airframe. Right now, even tho jobless, I am designing the engine install from the ground-up. (there are no "drop-in's" for this aircraft, everything is one-off) That is actually the easy part for me. What is really super critical is the wing design. It is mine and only mine - no other aircraft in the world has it, and I am well under way to building. I plan to use it to set speed and time to climb records for its size class (under 600 lbs gross). Key is, if I have access to tooling, I can make it. When I lost my job with the coast guard, I lost access to their marvelous machine shop, and am doing everything mostly by hand right now.

Here are a few pics of it.

Everything you see in pics is only mock-up and routing, still a way off from final permanent install.
Brad Roberts
Um.. yeah.. I would say you have some mad skilz!! and you jack around with 914's?? damn!

Million dollar question: will it fly?

B
scotty b
Damn holmes you actually know stuff and junk eh? Needs a six in it ph34r.gif

Good luck on the job hunt bro I wish I could help. But I can't sad.gif so I'll harrass laugh.gif
Brad Roberts
I think it needs a big 4!! ph34r.gif

B
jwalters
Oh yes! It will fly!! I have had my pilots licenses for a few years now. I am a speed freak, adrenalin junkie,and this is just one way of an adrenalin rush. I chose the 914 becuase it emulates a rabid go-kart. Back in rural mississippi there used to be a go-kart racetrack there and I competed. Pretty damn good too, really miss it. There are about 500 of these types of planes flying worldwide right now - I am just upping the ante to the X-factor -- happy11.gif
jwalters
biggrin.gif six is wayyy to big -

The 4 would be too heavy and the power pulses would tear the drive apart ( know of another it happened to)

BUT -don't think I haven't thought about it --- idea.gif
Brad Roberts
I'm sure you'll find a job. You would be amazed at the total lack of skilled labor available these days. The new moto: dont think.. just replace it..lol

B
scotty b
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Nov 7 2006, 05:35 PM) *

I'm sure you'll find a job. You would be amazed at the total lack of skilled labor available these days. The new moto: dont think.. just replace it..lol

B

Unfortunately it seems to me that this is the problem with skilled laborers. It is cheaper to get some dope that can finagle his way through a readout to replace a part then it is to have someone with real knowledge on the payroll. I have personally fought through several years of trying to perfect my metal and paint werk only to end up doing mostly powder coating because the restoration market around the east just isn't reliable.I went from restoring a 130,000 dollar Abarth that took 3rd at Sebring, to powder coating horse stalls 3 months ago. I get a steady paycheck and don't have to worry about whether there is going to be werk next month but still it sucks being 33 and having your werk become outdated to an extent.I know there is always werk out there, and I'm still doing some resto but it hurts when your dreams and ambitions bite you in the arse! I have 2 different machinists that I use ocassionally, both are over 50 and have told me the same stories, everything went automated and they now only do specialty werk. Good thing for both of them is they both do HIGH end werk for major companies like Phillip Morris. Skilled laborers almost have to go at it on there own know to stay alive. Chin up Johnny didn't mean to piss on your parade chop chop and cheerio. High Ho Silver away huh.gif
jwalters
agree.gif

Scott,

If'n anyone ever hit the nail square on the head it is this comment. This is the precise problem affecting the job industry in SoFl. It was building slowly over the years and the last two it exploded.

Reasoning here is why pay someone the bucks to do the job well and right, when there are about 500,000 illegals in the area which need only work UNDER someone qualified for 1/5 the price and maybe do the job "good enough".

My "problem" is I have no formal schooling for my abilities. I was taught hands on by masters.

This no longer cuts it anymore. No degree = no job

Doesn't matter that experience will ALWAYS trump schooling. It is a mad rush to have the most toys before death to win the game, that means pay as few as little as possible for just OK workmanship vs prime.

Believe me Scott, you have not rained on my parade -
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.