Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Air injector replacement
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rjkavanagh
Guys and Gals,
Need some advice. Just made a sample of an insert that should be able to replace the air injector tube going into my 2.0 heads. Is there any reason I shouldn't be able to replace these? Can these be made out of brass instead of steel? Anything I'm missing?

Click to view attachment

Thx - Rob
type47
i think this is commonly done...
ptravnic
I bouoght brass connectors from Home Depot.
type47
QUOTE(ptravnic @ Nov 8 2006, 04:52 AM) *

I bouoght brass connectors from Home Depot.

... in metric?
Dr Evil
If you are interested in plugging the holes you can use valve adjuster screws from a 2.0. They are 10mm IIRC. Just put them in with some high temp lock tite and you are in business.
Cap'n Krusty
The design is PERFECT! You've put in the correct sealing surface, the proper threads, and made the top portion look good. What more could you ask for? Well, cheap, maybe, but "cheap" doesn't always mean "right". Great job! The Cap'n

BTW, brass might not be the right material for this.
Dave_Darling
How about a way to positively lock them in place? I have heard stories of various plugs backing out over time. I've seen a number of different methods used to keep that from happening, too. The one I remember right now was Mueller's method--he made little tabs that mounted under the engine tin screws in the area (or the manifold nuts?) that simply covered the top of the plug and put a little downward pressure on it.

--DD
rjkavanagh
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Nov 8 2006, 08:26 AM) *

How about a way to positively lock them in place? I have heard stories of various plugs backing out over time. I've seen a number of different methods used to keep that from happening, too. The one I remember right now was Mueller's method--he made little tabs that mounted under the engine tin screws in the area (or the manifold nuts?) that simply covered the top of the plug and put a little downward pressure on it.

--DD

Great idea Dave thanks. Maybe I'll steal a page out of Dr. Evil's book and see if there's a way to safety wire these somewhere.

-Rob
jsteele22

They look very nice as is. One thing to consider (you asked ....) is if you want to be able to install/remove them from an engine inside the car, it might be more convenient to have a longer piece, similar to the original; a little harder to drop out of a socket when you're feeling around for the hole, alignment, etc. It's not unheard of for someone with a '76 to want an air injector system in place for inspection, and then, well, not want it in place for another year or 5.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.