Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stealth Paint
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Malmz
Since SEMA, I've seriously considered a poor man's versoin of this type of paint job. I talked to the guy that made this particular paint and it is probably $$$. They consider it somewhat stealth since it absorbs light and claims it absorbs some level of laser radar.

Of course I don't care about radar absorbtion, but I kind of like the look and think it might look pretty good on my beast. It is kind of a matte finish but actually has a base coat and clear coat. This one had a bit of purple hue to it.
Malmz
ok, why didn't that load...............
Malmz
Or a lighter version. This one looks shiny-er in the picture then it did in person.

Ideas???
Qarl
If it "absorbs light" and it looks shinier in the pictures than in person... it is obviously a gimmick because it isn't working!

It looks basically like matte paint in silver and charcoal!!!
Malmz
The first one is the "absorbing" one, the lighter color didn't have any claims.

Dunno about the accuracy of the first one, but he had a lot of talk about different color fleck and thier effect. Sounded good anyway.

Again, I don't really care about the fluff claims, only the matte grey look color. I need to hit the paint store to see what they offer in this type of finish.

sm
Eric Taylor
Is that a chrysler pacifica in that top pic?
Eric
scotty
I think I'd rather be seen by SUV's... unsure.gif
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Malmz @ Nov 8 2003, 08:59 PM)
... I don't really care about the fluff claims, only the matte grey look color. I need to hit the paint store to see what they offer in this type of finish.

just check out the 'primer' section...
i had no idea this was being considered hi-tech these days :-) ...

(got the transmission bracketry, thanks!)
Katmanken
Yes, there are stealth paints and they are in big use by the military.

For radar, they used to use Hitachi microwave oven paint....

For laser light absorption (from spotter lasers) , the Army uses a lusterless green paint. It's four coats of different colors. Used to walk into work and look at the rows of military hardware and they didn't reflect. They just kinda faded off into the trees...

Not what I'd want on a small sports car that SUV drivers can't seem to see.... blink.gif

Saturn Yellow or Orange... the colors of SUV protection

Ken
Malmz
Good point on the bright colors, I used to always paint my two wheelers as bright as possible and pipe them.

Yep, Pacifica in the top picture.

sm
Katmanken
Jest paint your grey paint on with a brush for that matte finish.... laugh.gif

Looking at the top pic I dunnow.... Mebbe it's silver basecoat with a dull charcoal clearcoat or a silver/grey paint with a black flip/flop. Seen black and silver.

Ken
fiid
They look about the same shade as the acid-dipped car. Maybe you could acid dip and then clearcoat - or use a clear laquer. Would make it easy to spot rush :-)

Fiid.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.